1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

A Medical Complication

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by rosie 1, Jul 27, 2019.

1. rosie 1

rosie 1 Engaging Member

Hi Guys, in may of this year I put in a grant for a conterminous ticket ...during the same month I got admitted to hospital for a operation which turned out to be quite major (I had no idea this was going to happen) . On filling in the application for a firearm recently I notice that you have to notify the Police of any medical history which I have done regarding my recent operation..The Police (Lincolnshire) have now put a block on my application until I can produce a clearance note from my GP. regarding my fitness to own guns. I have already paid the Police£60.00 previous to this (just previous to my operation) which was duly submitted from my GP to say they had no concerns as to my fitness to own guns just before I had to go to hospital for my op. Now does this mean that I have to pay yet another £60.00 for another letter?????.I have been in touch with my FEO regarding the shotguns that I am in possession of and they tell me there is not a problem and everything is in order ..something here don't seem to make sense i.e I can own shotguns but cant apply for a firearm until I get a clearance note from my GP...any advice or comments please guys as I cant make any sense out of this. Has a similar problem happened to anyone else. Regards.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  2. zeeco

zeeco Donator

Sorry to hear about your operation, i would have thought your FEO should have all the answers.

3. topcat666

topcat666 Well-Known Member

I suspect this is part of the process for any new and renewal applications for an FAC:Durham Constabulary seek a medical certificate from a GP (at my expense) to show no reason why I should not possess firearms.
    Like you,I disclosed medical conditions and the only outcome was a visit from an FEO to check I was not really an arthritic old gadgie who was not physically fit enough to possess firearms.
    What they are looking for is mental illness or illnesses where prescribed medication can cause side effects leading to irrational and possibly dangerous behaviour.
    Anti depressants prescribed for pain relief might well be a trigger for an FEO to withold a grant.
    Hope the surgery has worked and you have a co operative,understanding GP.
    Best of luck to you.

metalman, PumpnGun and SlugFest like this.
  4. rosie 1

rosie 1 Engaging Member

Yes that makes a lot of sense thankyou

5. Popgun

Popgun Donator

Hope all goes well with your health
    Join BASC they will assist is any ticket complications

WR14210 and metalman like this.
  6. Jemsbro

Jemsbro Engaging Member

Its not up to your GP to give an opinion on whether you are fit to own guns (which is not a bad thing since there are quite a number of misguided Drs who do not believe anyone should own a gun)
    Your GPs job is simply to provide factual information on which the police may then base their decision.

metalman likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Engaging Member

I guess it will depend on what the operation was for. Does the condition of the op. itself have any bearing on your suitability to own firearms?
    Your FLD will just be doing their due diligence. If you mention any condition, even if not a relevant one, they will look at it (well, you thought it was worth mentioning, the least they can do is take a look).

Just follow the Department's lead, keep them informed and keep in contact with them. Hopefully they'll keep you updated and let you know what you need to do, if anything.

Devonair likes this.
  8. rosie 1

rosie 1 Engaging Member

Hi yes the operation was for a aneurism that I didn't know I had ..a CT scan showed it up and it was very major op but getting over it now and it has not made me unstable in any way but still painfull the police insist on a further clearance note from me GP though before I can apply for my ticket for fac its all very frustrating when I have allready been honest and told them (police) about the op but on the same note they tell me there isn't a problem with the s.guns I already own.. It don't make a lot of sense when they tell me that there isn't a problem with the guns (shotguns) that im in posession of but then they tell me that I need clearance from my GP before I can put in for a conterminouse ticket???????

9. JoeHeugh

JoeHeugh Busy Member

I hope all goes well with your health and your licence gets sorted soon Rosie.

10. rosie 1

rosie 1 Engaging Member

yes thankyou

11. Devonair

Devonair Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit....

Shotguns are treated completely differently to FAC. I’ve had shotguns for over 30 years yet when I applied for an FAC last year I had an interview with the FEO who asked about the depression I had had 15 years ago (none since) and then asked for a letter from the doctors (started a huge miscommunication with GP in another county that delayed thing 5 months!).

An FAC is far more serious as far as the law is concerned.

12. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

cannot understand this, makes no sense unless they think you are on opiates or whatever for pain, or general infirmity in the recovery stage may make you temporarily unfit.
    i'm in durham, recently had two variations and disclosed recent depression, and had no problems. mind i did write a small novel in the "further information" giving as many details as possible.
    post op aneurism repair is of no relevance to folding an FAC in my professional opinion bar the above provisos. have you spoken to them over the phone?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  13. Sarge

Sarge Engaging Member

I would think that if an applicant felt it was worth mentioning in answer to a question that asks about "Relevant medical conditions which must be disclosed" (Note 5 to Q4, Form 201), even if it is not one of the relevant ones listed then the police are duty bound to look at it. After all, the applicant took the effort to mention it, it would be rude not to look at it, perhaps an applicant didn't understand the question or worse still, failed to follow the instructions on the form and read notes 4-12 before filling it in.

'Post op aneurism repair' isn't mentioned unless it is covered under "Any other mental or physical condition which might affect your safe possession of a firearm or shotgun", in which case it should be investigated as a matter of course.

metalman likes this.
  14. sidelocker

sidelocker Member

I forgot to mention an o/d 15 years ago when i applied for my s/c 2 years ago ,, they picked up on it BIG TIME ..had a long visit from fao but it all turned out ok . the o/d by the way was the result of a wife 26 yrs younger than me " playing away " whilst I was out earning the pennies ,,,,moral of this tale folks " don't marry a dolly bird "