1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

A Few Q's About A Restoration...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by R J Molak, Nov 4, 2019.

1. R J Molak

R J Molak Active Member

Hello all,
    So, as posted in my other post, I have embarked on a restoration journey of my very old and very sorry looking HW80.
    Strip down went smoothly however it revealed a few probs. Besides some external rust I have a piston chamber that definitely will need trueing and a polish. The piston will need polishing and most of the metal needs blacking. So far I have cleaned and degreased all metal.
    Here are a few questions: I'm wandering about blacking or leaving polished (satin) bare steel, what are the pros and cons in terms of maintenance and everyday use (some in field, but mainly on a range)? And who best could help me with polish and trueing of the piston and the piston chamber or could I do it myself with a drill and flap head polishing/abrasive? I'm a newbie to air rifles and newbie at maintanace and refurbishment and do not possess lathe and a mill...lol. And I'm attempting to do the whole project in my spare room. Wife not happy, but compliant...lol

rabbitwrecker and C220w205 like this.
  2. Jagdwaffen

Jagdwaffen Suns up guns up

If I were you matey I'd try and return it back to its original appearance/ condition....blackd for me rather than polished steel. Good luck with it too....

:worthless:

foxtrott and rabbitwrecker like this.
  3. Blackmax

Blackmax Rebel!

Hi,
    First of all, get a new wife, you can then put the parts all over the house! :laff:

Secondly, original is best, blacking gives some protection to the metal and looks best. @Paul Chell on here is your man for blacking.

With regard to the mechanics, post your progress on here with pictures and there'll be people to help and assist you along the way.

Good luck! :up:

shauny, R J Molak, foxtrott and 3 others like this.
  4. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker Black Latex Matters...

For a reblue, I'd suggest you talk to Paul Chell, (on this forum) - his work is very highly respected... :up:

foxtrott likes this.
  5. Wofty

Wofty 'This is the way'

What do you mean by 'truing the cylinder'?
    It's scored?
    Piston. Stick the latch rod in a drill and spin it up using fine abrasive paper. Cleans up in a jiffy. Only the skirt and behind the piston seal ride the bore. You'll see wear marks. You can progressively polish to a mirror shine.
    I clean the cylinder by making abrasive tools from dowel and using a drill to clean up. It's just a case of blending out any deep scratches.
    As for blue that's a catch 22.
    If you go to an RFD they charge an arm and leg for proper bluing.
    Paul Chell here does chemical blacking but obviously it's not an original finish.
    Cold blue kits are rubbish for longevity.
    You could try a mild abrasive cleaner like T cut to remove the rust then polish up with Renaissance wax.
    It really depends on how you want to restore. As per original or a refurbishment.
    If you search here there's plenty of refurbishment/restoration threads full of info.

foxtrott and rabbitwrecker like this.
  6. R J Molak

R J Molak Active Member

So far the following are barrell before pics.
    IMG_20191102_174146.jpg surface rust, no pitting. IMG_20191102_170821.jpg
    IMG_20191102_170725.jpg
    IMG_20191102_170652.jpg
    Worst patch. The barrell and breach are now for the most part rust free and clean. I'll be posting more pics as I go along.

Attached Files:

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  7. R J Molak

R J Molak Active Member

Much appreciated. Piston is getting the treatment your way today! I'll post pre and post pics later. Many thanks!

8. Blackmax

Blackmax Rebel!

There's a Rekord trigger service guide I put on here too if you need it.

foxtrott and R J Molak like this.
  9. Wofty

Wofty 'This is the way'

Personally I think if you want to stay original then that barrel has a nice patina.
    Bit of 0000 wirewool and oil and lightly rub it to remove surface rust.
    Abrasives remove rust but also some blue.
    Try the colour match black T Cut gently.
    I'm afraid it's your decision if you want it's vintage appeal or like new.
    With a reblue or chemical black there's no in between.

10. R J Molak

R J Molak Active Member

That's what I've been doing. 0000 wool and oil. I got much of the rust off, because I wanted to preserve as much of the original blacking as possible so I could make a decision later. Would having it stripped back to bare metal and then satined make it more difficult to care for in daily use?

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  11. Wofty

Wofty 'This is the way'

What do you mean by satined?
    Lacquer I presume?
    The trouble with any finish like that is it adds thickness so in areas like the breech its rubbed off. Not really a big problem as you can use a thin wipe of grease there.
    If you like the stainless look I guess there's no reason not to.

12. Bunny-on-Bunny

Bunny-on-Bunny Posting Addict

If you can keep the original bluing keep it.
    If it's coming off then I'd highly recommend sending it to Mr Chell.
    Cold bluing...
    You Can get an 'original' sorta finish but if you're unlucky like me it will cost you 3 kits and third time lucky it'll come out looking 'just about' passable, but will be more more fragile than a box of unpacked Fabergé Eggs.
    My 77 has proven to be a money pit and it's Still only making 6lb/f...

foxtrott likes this.
  13. R J Molak

R J Molak Active Member

PY-4702_Remington-Model-777SB-177_1534880075.jpg
    Stainless steel but not mirror polish, matte stainless steel...I realise it's a matter of taste but what I suppose I'd like to know is how does stainless finish compare to blacked. Would it rust more than blacking? The pic attached is the look I'm considering. PY-4702_Remington-Model-777SB-177_1534880075.jpg

14. R J Molak

R J Molak Active Member

Cheers Bunny, once I get all the metal bits to a decent state I'm definitely going to approach Mr Chell, lots of members recommend him.

Bunny-on-Bunny and Paul Chell like this.
  15. Paul Chell

Paul Chell Keyboard Hero

you can pm me anytime your ready I can guarantee a better than new finish and ive lots of pics to show you if needed

R J Molak, Wofty and Bunny-on-Bunny like this.
  16. R J Molak

R J Molak Active Member

Thank you Paul, as soon as I make my mind up about blacking, I will. I'm struggling wether to black it or polish to bare steel in satin finish... Aesthetics I suppose, but I'd like to find out how practical would stainless finish be. I know blacking is very durable and easy to care for.

17. R J Molak

R J Molak Active Member

You are right, the piston chamber is not scored, but what is scored is the bit close to the end cap where the original spring must have hit it. Do yo think I can leave that as is?

18. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

As you seem to be new at the game, go careful with tools / abrasives. Once you remove metal you can't put any back.
    The pic you show of the rifle with a satin finish, will have a coating on it. Personally I'd forget that idea.
    Removing all the bluing and leaving bare metal will make regular maintenence tricky and you'll struggle to prevent rust.

I'd recommend either just removing what rust you can with 00 steel wool and oil or have it reblacked.

Very careful with the inside of the cylinder. To get best advice, you'll need to put good pics up of the damage.
    I'd avoid any contact with abrasives forward of the cocking slot if possible as this is the compression area of the cylinder.
    If you go at it a little too hard you may ruin compression.

80's are worth restoring. A good restoration will increase the value. A bad one won't.
    Good luck.

Peter Norris likes this.
  19. Wofty

Wofty 'This is the way'

If the scoring is down by the end cap it will have no impact on the piston seal and compression.
    I would make sure it's not burred and not worry.

20. R J Molak

R J Molak Active Member

Thanks Robs, this makes sense. Blueing it is then. I'm looking to have the 80 as maintenance free as possible when complete. Thanks for the lowdown on the stainless steel, that helped.