1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

A Certain Type Of Driver.

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by Paul G W, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Paul G W

Paul G W Engaging Member

Why is it that I can follow behind a car doing 35 mph down a country late, within a 60 mph speed limit, for miles.

They will brake at every bend and hill or approaching car, without fail.

However they feel compelled to go much faster, once they enter a 40mph zone.......
    And
    Are happy to do 60 mph, once they realise I have pulled out to overtake them?

Why do they never consider pulling over to allow the growing queue of cars behind them to pass?

Often they exhibit even slower characteristics at night!

Should there be a compulsory eye sight pass certificate, required to tax and insure any vehicle?

2. PW1

PW1 Shooting the breeze.

If someone is tailgating me, trying to push me on, they will find that they get to their destination later than they anticipated, just relax and sooner than later an opportunity will arise that you can over take safely.

Regards
    Peter

3. norman

norman Donator

I sloooooow down.....sometimes even stop...that really pizzzes them off...:thumb:

mmamonster, Super-20, D10bore and 2 others like this.
  4. Strathrpc

Strathrpc Posting Addict

Strathpeffer, Highlands, god's own Country
    Tailgating trucks are the easiest to wind up, slow right down & even just about stop on the first hill you come to!

mmamonster, pbrown and PW1 like this.
  5. Paul G W

Paul G W Engaging Member

But why do 35 mph in the first place? Or if you want to slow down even more, then make an effort to indicate and let traffic past?
    It is difficult not to catch you up, when you are doing 30, no matter how hard I try not to.

I dont understand what you get out of it? Now I have found you, please explain the thought process!

What does your wife /husband or partner say to you, whilst this is going on, or are you single?

6. norman

norman Donator

It's a free world fella...we can travel as fast or slow as we want ...as long as we stay within the limit's...."tailgater's" really wind me up...overtake if/when you can..i'm happily married (to a woman) no penalty points/crashes in 46 years driving..quite enjoy track days at the local race track too...:thumb:

mmamonster, chivy, OldGreyDog and 2 others like this.
  7. PW1

PW1 Shooting the breeze.

The speed limit is a maximum not a minimum, slow down fella, if you get wound up so easily should you be on the road, calm down and you may live longer.

Regards
    Peter

chivy, Super-20, mike-carter and 2 others like this.
  8. Sutty

Sutty Engaging Member

I'm in both camps here: I followed a car down a 40 limit country road at 25mph today; very frustrating but I don't tailgate when it's clear I can't overtake.
    I hate tailgateing and slow down if it happens to me so that if I do have to stop suddenly I'm less likely to be rear-ended!

chivy likes this.
  9. PW1

PW1 Shooting the breeze.

It is frustrating that's for sure, but tailgaters only have themselves to blame, if they back off then I will give them space to overtake when it is safe, if they persist I will adjust my speed up to the legal maximum to frustrate them until there is oncoming traffic that won't allow them to overtake and then I will be going slower than the maximum. I always leave enough time to allow for traffic conditions and would rather arrive an hour early than 5 minutes late. Tailgaters should lose their licence.

Regards
    Peter

chivy, jdk1 and FPoole like this.
  10. FPoole

FPoole Posting Addict

The way I see it is, if I'm doing the speed limit, I have no reason to be concerned about the fellow behind me, unless he's about to hit me. I try my best to always stay on or just below the limit. Slow folks don't bother me because I've noticed that most are elderly or have their handicap license plate. They have the right to drive and because their comfort zone is slower than mine, so be it. I'll be in their place soon enough and hope folks will cut me a little slack.

JamieB57 likes this.
  11. Paul G W

Paul G W Engaging Member

I get that you want to drive slowly. So do I sometimes, but why do you seek to obstruct faster cars, rather than ease them to overtake.
    I will see them approach in my mirror when I have kids, dogs or rubbish in my mirror, indicate and pull over when it is safe and help them pass.
    My parents marriage failed as my Father( an ex police man) insisted on being a mobile road block to faster cars. My Mum ultimately refused to get in the car with him.
    She left him and now lives with a non driver. My Father drunk himself to death, and died alone, a sad angry man.
    What is the emotion that makes you want to get in people’s way?
    Hatred, envy, fear, jealousy? Please help me understand as your behaviour fascinates me.

The car behind could be in a rush for many, urgent reasons, yet you feel compelled to make the situation worse. Thanks

Gaz2121, Gunfun and sidney like this.
  12. Patton

Patton Jack Reacher's big brother

Who cares? It's just a car journey. Hold back, chill, and overtake when it's safe.

chivy likes this.
  13. sidney

sidney Keyboard Hero

Isn't it funny how the dawdlers think they have some sort of God-given right to hold up every other road user. You can almost hear them thinking, as the queue of cars behind them increases "... so you think you're getting past me, do you? I'll show ya!!!"
    And the old cop-out that the speed limit "isn't a target" serves as cover for their poor driving. Even as a novice taking driving lessons nearly 30 years ago, I clearly remember the instructor urging me to "keep up with the flow of traffic, son".
    I truly believe its their only way of exercising any last vestiges of power before they fall off the perch.
    As for those who openly admit to slowing down on purpose..... wow. Just.... wow. I wish you'd tried that during your test. Then you'd now be catching the bus and the rest of us would be reaching our destination on time.

charlie351, Wild Bill, stevep and 5 others like this.
  14. Gunfun

Gunfun Engaging Member

It's an unfortunate fact of life that a small minority of the population will use anything they can to try to torment other people as they go through life, when these people deliberately use their cars/driving to frustrate drivers following behind them it can often lead to accidents.

There's a world of difference between people driving safely and/or slowly, and a pathetic little creep deliberately 'winding up' the drivers behind them.

I'm a motorcyclist and I've lost count of the number of motorists who have deliberately blocked me from lane filtering or overtaking, the good thing about this is that these sad little people are out numbered 50 to 1 by the good ,decent people who maneuver their cars. vans and trucks to let me past out of pure consideration.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  15. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

Nothing is worse than a middle lane driver, except maybe those people who pull out of side turning right in front of you like they're in a hurry then creep along like they're not!

Marcus074 and Paul G W like this.
  16. Patton

Patton Jack Reacher's big brother

Do you not hold up everyone behind you when you're stuck in a traffic jam? Everyone in a car holds up someone else at one time or another. If that's a problem we can always leave 5 minutes earlier.

FPoole likes this.
  17. cbrdave

cbrdave Nuts

I get wound up when a tight country lane with loads of tight bends have a 60mph limit and every moron behind me and the ones heading towards me wants to do 60,
    They must have radar or something as I have no clue what is round the corner!.
    Last week I met two tractors a bunch of horses and some cyclists, if I wasn't doing 40mph I would have been in trouble.

It's a speed limit not a challenge.
    People should slow down around country lanes, they might get to see some wildlife and the lovely countryside.

Cinimod, chivy, JamieB57 and 3 others like this.
  18. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

They're called Bernard & Marjorie, they go out on Saturdays & Sundays in the retirement spec Renault/Honda for a drive in the countryside, but not before Bernard has picked up his beige leather driving gloves, the Panama hat sits on the parcel shelf unused.
    You don't see them during the week as Bernard doesn't leave the house until the shops & factories open, then he can waste his & others time talking about how cars/motorbikes/guns/fishing gear was better in his day while not spending any money.
    All this is to deflect the horrific reality that the world has moved on & they're not really any use anymore.

Gaz2121, Paul G W and sidney like this.
  19. Felixlogs

Felixlogs Busy Member

I find most of the time when somebody is tailgating my old 4x4, they back off once they have got close enough to see the chainsaws and/or gunbags in the back. Anybody deliberately provoking or goading other drivers is a fool.

sidney likes this.
  20. sidney

sidney Keyboard Hero

Not entirely sure what being stuck in a traffic jam has to do with being stuck behind a self-appointed guardian of road safety doing 35 on a 60.