1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

A bit of target practice

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Robhalex, May 27, 2014.

1. Robhalex

Robhalex Engaging Member

North Bristol, South Gloucestershire (Thornbury)
    So yesterday evening I was asked down the farm to clear some squirrels who have been gorging on the pig food. I'm not a very good shot and my s400 has needed a proper zeroing for ages. (Since the new scope arrived)

So I took out my pellet catcher and paper targets and set up at about 30 yards (measured by guesstimate but on the focus part of my scope it read nearer 50 yards before the image was crisp)

First grouping was all over the place
    View attachment 97120

So I went down to 10-15 yards and fired a few shots and made a few adjustments and ended up with this grouping
    View attachment 97121

I then went back out to 30yards (or 50?) and took some more shots and got this grouping

View attachment 97122

Which, as you can see, was falling below where it was needed. I adjusted the height and had another crack

View attachment 97123

Which is one of my best groupings to date, and the best I've done from that distance too!! It's a Shame that by the time I was done the squirrels had done a runner!!

Can't wait to get back out and shoot again.

2. neiled

neiled Donator

Good to see your persevering but keep practising as you still need to improve quite a bit before you consider moving from paper to live targets, you should be looking at getting all your pellets within at least an inch at 30 yards.

It's also surprising you can't distinguish between 30 & 50 yards considering the average stride is as near as damn it a yard.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  3. Robhalex

Robhalex Engaging Member

Well I've always understood a yard to be just shy of a a metre. And I always either massively over or under compensate when looking at metres. I said between 30 and 50 because I was assuming two paces to be a metre and counted out 60 paces. But I may have undervalued the size of my paces. So I set up at what I believe to be near 30 yards but the parallax range thingy on it read 50 yards before it became crystal clear and the Mildots where thick and at their most visible.

I can't remember reading correctly something about if you zero at 10 yards it's the same as at 30 (or was it 50?)

Either way once I've refilled the cylinder and gone back out I'll maybe try and measure out a set distance.

I'd like to ideally be able to know exactly the range to hit bang in the middle of the crosshairs and which ranges relate to which of the dots above at below. All that comes with experience.

I need to learn this fast however as they aren't happy that the treerats are getting in with the pigs and chickens. And the crows and magpies are getting greedy too. Rabbits aren't a problem at the moment. I think the one I killed last year had scared them from returning

4. richardscar

richardscar Donator

HI Rob' , is that group freehand or rested ? atb, rich.

5. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

It depends on your ftlbs and the pellet you're using but in principle you are correct in that a primary zero, or near zero, will also have a secondary or far zero. Mine are 18 and 35 ,perhaps you should have a look at Chairgun and put your figures in and play around with that and then check out what you find on a range or in the field.
    atb
    Dag

6. neiled

neiled Donator

If you follow the link below it will take you to the Hawke Chairgun Pro download site then you can use it to help give you all the info you need to get your distances, zero, hold over/under points etc. It's an excellent programme but you do need to input all the correct details to include, gun and pellet details, zero range, scope height etc.

Once you've done this it will help you but you do still need to get your accuracy up to an acceptable level which will mean practice, practice, practice. Stick at it and you will get there mate :up:

http://www.hawkeoptics.co.uk/chairgun.html

7. Robhalex

Robhalex Engaging Member

First group was free hand, well a mixture of bipod and from the shoulder.

The rest where resting on the handle of a cement mixer lol.

If anyone has a visual aid e.g a photo of what something 30yards away looks like and then something at 50 yards id know.

How accurate at range finding are the parallax thingies?

8. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Rob , you need to be careful using photographs as the effects of even slight telephoto or wide angle lens will distort distances greatly. Perhaps marking out the distances on the ground and pacing them out will give you a good idea of those you need. Try 15yds and then 30 yds and see what that does for you. Both of those figures will probably not be far off your two zeros.
    How about then going down the farm and pacing out distances from shooting points to good firing positions and noting down the results in a notebook?
    Dag

9. Robhalex

Robhalex Engaging Member

Good shout.

I'll probably get a chance tomorrow to do all this. There's a few places I seem to always see rabbits and I know how close I can get before I'm seen. I also know most of the paths they use as it's an unused field and
    Quite clearly see the runs they make. Haven't found the entrance to a burrow yet though.

If I can make note of what ranges certain areas are from fixed points then that would be handy.

Really need an air bottle as I'm not a
    Fan of pumping up a rifle in the field lol.

10. themadspread

themadspread Donator

a yard is 36 inch a metre is 39

11. Largerider

Largerider Posting Addict

Pacing it was good enough for me for years, my paces I normally need to do 2 extra for the right distance, I have a range finder now tho so use that for setting targets for zero.
    Another thing you could use is a surveyors tape, you can get a new 50m one for less than a £10.

12. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

Before you head out next time measure out 10M of string or fishing line or something & use that to lay out the targets at accurate distances. It's important to get your ranges accurate - then you know where you are with the targets & can start to memorise them for when you're out & about & estimating things.

The range markers on the parallax adjustment tend to be a bit off, often way off so you probably can't use them for range finding, but you can make new numbers to stick over the old ones which will give a more accurate read out, though I've never bothered, I just focus it to whatever & go with that.

13. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

One pace is not necessarily a yard; if I take a pace to where I can feel my Achilles going tight (so a big pace) 24 of these is 30yds.

Get a cheap tape measure (reel type) and use that. I got one, which cost me a tenner, and it's a hell of a good investment. Another way of approximate range-finding is to measure how far apart the fence posts are on each of your permissions and use that as a guide.

As for using your scope's AO as a rangefinder, unless you're toting some top-notch FT-style glass it's not very accurate.

14. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

I know you are out of practice and and are not sure of your range but to me it looks like you have other issues also.

Your groups look very large even if you are out of practice, being at the wrong range will only change the position of your group on the target not its size.
    Are you sure your pellets suit your gun? What pellets are you using?
    As others have said get locked down nice and solid at a measured range and put some groups in.
    If you are not getting the results you want ( rested you should get nearly one hole with such an accurate gun) look at doing some pellet testing. If you get fliers on the real outside of the target also consider trying the gun with the silencer off.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  15. ste

ste Posting Addict

I always have a tape measure in my bag now I would also try different pellets as this with a pcp should be better practice your breathing try and get the position breathing the same every time I practice a lot in my garden I no it's only max 20 yards but this helps a lot I shoot most days always trying to improve
    Good to see you trying and good luck for the future

16. mark112

mark112 Engaging Member

Hi,

As above. Groups at 10 to 15 yards from your bipod should be single holes. Groups at 25/30 should be easily be 2p size or smaller (usually 5p sized with practice and a calm day). Has anyone else shot with your gun to see if they get similar results? A good pellet for the S400 is AA Diabo Fields. What were your ones? The S4** are capable of really great accuracy with the right pellet and a bipod should make good groupings easier to achieve. My mate gets 2p sized groups with my S400 at 30yards and he's never shot before so even out of practice you should be achieving that. Might be worth cleaning your barrel and then running 50 decent pellets down it and then trying again. Please give your quarry respect by not shooting at them until you can guarrantee (as far as possible) a clean kill.

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative but it seems there may be two issues here. Finding the right pellet (loads of advice available here and other forums) or you need more practice. Either one should give a lot of fun sorting.

Good Luck

Mark