1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

88g CO2 Gas Bottles...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Diopter, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Diopter

Diopter Member

Hi all

I normally shoot with 12g CO2 powerlets, and these are a one time deal, once punctured you have to use them all up.

My question is about the larger 88g CO2 'bottles'. Are they the same as the 12g powerlets i.e. no valve? Or do they have a valve in the end so that you could remove a partially used one?

The reason I ask is that sometimes I don't use all of the CO2 in my 12g ones, and as the 88g ones hold a lot more gas I would hate to waste it at the end of a days shooting.

Thanks all...

2. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

88g are the same as 12g, ie no valve, you can get a on /off valve to fit them. But if your gun is gas tight, you should not need one. I own a SMK QB78, and leave it for months, with powerlets left in, with no loss of gas. Atb, Bob.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  3. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

There lays a interesting Point -

General rule is that CO2 powered Guns should not be transported accross public Highway with a loaded CO2 Bulb

Air Yes - CO2 Gas No - Check your local Police Information Web Site - believe it's covered on BASC web site

BOB/R

4. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

Correct. The Co2 must be removed from the gun, when transporting the gun, don't know why, bit of a stupid rule, when you can transport an air charged pcp. Did not mention this in my first reply, as transporting the gun was not mentioned in the post. atb. Bob.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  5. Shropshire Shooter

Shropshire Shooter Well-Known Member

Just one more reason why I'd never buy a CO2 rifle.A few months ago I worked on a Umarex 850 Air Magnum for a mate who had managed to jam it solid (three pellets in the barrel, four more in the action - one was actually jamming the hammer).Although he'd only just fitted a new bottle the only way to remove the stock to gain access to the action was to slowly loosen the bottle - wasting about eight quids' worth of CO2.Once I'd got it working again I explained to him the drawbacks of the system (including the design fault that means that loading with the barrel pointing up can lead to a pellet falling into the action) and he's now looking for a PCP.

6. Diopter

Diopter Member

How the heck did he manage to get so many pellets stuck?

I just use my cleaning rods with the jag end fitted to push the pellets out if any get stuck.

Just bought a CO2 rifle, it shoots great, but I agree with you about the problem of bleeding the CO2 off. I was trying a few test shots with mine when I bought it just to see if the valves etc were all OK. Worked fine. Then I read the small print in the manual that says you cannot remove the filler cover while the gun is still under pressure. The manual advises dry firing the gun until the CO2 is empty! It took nearly half an hour of cocking and firing to empty the gun of CO2 (bolt action single shot).

What I find stupid is that the gun has a bleed hole to release the excess gas, but in order to reach the bleed hole point (it's cut into the filler cap thread) you need to be able to undo the filler cap, which you can only do when the gun is empty!?

The rifle holds two 12g CO2's (it's an XS79 .22 from SMK). What I plan to try though is to load one full CO2 powerlet and one empty one, and then chrono the rifle to see how many shots I get (at constant power) before the gas starts to die out. The idea is that at least I won't have to waste lots of gas if I only take a few shots.

Actually, I don't mind wasting the gas (only 50p each), but what I did hate was having to dry fire the rifle a few hundred times until the gas pressure died down enough to allow me to undo the filler cap.

Why they never fitted a bleed valve/tap, or maybe some method of holding the knock valve open (like I can on my CO2 pistols) I'll never know.

Maybe there's a market here for anyone handy with a lathe?

7. bobbie1

bobbie1 Busy Member

No need for a lathe ,
    If you drill a 7 mm hole 75 mm from the end of the tube
    to the centre off hole ,
    then you can use a flat screwdriver to de-gas if needed,
    you put the screwdriver in the hole and twist , this presses the hammer against the valve ,

it's also usefull if you go bulk fill ,as you can use it to cool the gun, this makes filling easy,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  8. ped

ped Keyboard Hero

i assume it's a xs78 rather than a 79 if it takes 12g carts also using one full and one empty might give you a slightly lower fps than two full onesped

9. Paul55

Paul55 Posting Addict

Compare the cost of an 88g Co2 against the cost of 8 x 12g Co2, slightly more than 88g I know & you'll not want to use 88g ones :eek:

10. Shropshire Shooter

Shropshire Shooter Well-Known Member

Just kept going until he couldn't push any more in I suppose - he bought it secondhand off someone and is not an experienced shooter.

Once I'd managed to strip it and remove the magazine the pellets tapped out quite easily with a length of hardwood dowel. What I found more alarming was the pellets inside the action :eek:

11. smudgerii

smudgerii Busy Member

you can buy an on/off valve from RAP4, which will allow you to turn off the supply and fire off any gas in the pre-chamber and the remove the gas bulb from the gun.

12. smudgerii

smudgerii Busy Member

He should just HPA the 850, £35 on ebay for the bottle. He can also add the on/off valve...

13. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

The XS79 can be converted to high pressure for about £40, I did this as I wasn't prepared to waste any Co2 while tinkering, was one of the best moves I've made!

14. smudgerii

smudgerii Busy Member

Spent a few hours this week building up a HPA 79 for a 'looked after' young lad who came down to the range last week with his new foster carer... He is going to be buzzing tonight just waiting for the range to open in the morning.

Almost new rifle £50, HPA £35, silencer £20, 3-9x50 £25, rifle is good for 100 shots per fill and is regulated all for £130.

if he out shoots me it may develope a 'leak' :)

15. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Are they classed as regulated guns when you fit a HPA bottle?

16. ratharvester

ratharvester Donator

Good on ya mate:up:

17. smudgerii

smudgerii Busy Member

Yep, bottle is reg'd at 850psi. Or higher if you know what to do ;)

18. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Burst disks?

19. smudgerii

smudgerii Busy Member

easily replaced if needed, available on the 'bay'