1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

690 Vs 692, What's The Difference?

Discussion in 'Shotguns (SGC)' started by rich79, Nov 18, 2020.

1. rich79

rich79 No deep or funny comment here

I've been doing a bit of overtime recently and have decided that maybe a new or decent secondhand Beretta around the £2k mark might be obtainable, so I've been watched various YT clips & trawled t'interweb but there's nothing really conclusive about the differences between the two guns!
    Or in fact the difference between the whole 690/1/2/3/4/5 series!

2. Petay

Petay Donator

The 692 is the b*****d child. It was supposed to be their entry level competition gun but it suffered a few design issues.

I've heard something about the action to stock joint being week as it's a single pinned tang.

The main functional difference is the ejectors on the 692 have a mechanism to disable them (who knows why) and this is prone to failure..it's not a super expensive repair from what I understand but it will be a pain and likely go down at the worst time.

Not sure if barrel internals are the same across the range but don't get caught worrying about forcing cones etc to much as I doubt many are truly good enough to see the difference.

Generally speaking the 692 has a bad rep from the people I've spoken to at various clay grounds. I wouldn't touch one but if you do decide on it then go for the black edition.

The 694 was brought out to address the faults of the 692 and is a much much better gun and shoulders so much better IMO where they have made tweeks to dimensions. Even second hand you'll be around £3000 for a 694 so maybe a bit out of reach unless you wait or hit up the credit card.

The 690 black edition is what I started with and it's a great gun for the money. The orange / red highlights are a bit marmite but I liked it. Shot well for about a year with no issues at all. Only upgrade as I wanted something sexier but ultimately also found my new Blaser fits me off the shelf way way better.

Have a look at the Cesar Guerini Summit black - around £2400 new if you can stretch otherwise a very attainable second hand buy if you can find one local.

The Blaser F-16 is worth a look and should be in budget with Grade 4 wood. Has been talk of ejector issues but I've spoken to several very happy F16 shooters.

rich79 likes this.
  3. rich79

The 690 Black is one of the front runners for me, I just wondered what the difference was as they're similarly priced.
    I don't see many 691's about and the 694 would be too pricey for me.
    I heard about the ejectors on a 692 TGS review on YT, it didnt actually say if you leave them on whether they risk breaking or if it's just constant fiddling causes it?

4. Petay

Petay Donator

On a lot of the clay forums the 692 comes in for a lot of bashing, honestly I'd stay clear as re-sale will be poor to.

The 691 is field only I think and is only different decoration compared to the 690 I think.

Where abouts are you based?

5. rich79

I'm in South East London, just doing a bit of research while I'm applying for my sec2, if something good turns up at a local rfd I can always put it on my old man's licence until mine turns up.
    Its confusing because AFAIK there's 6 models in the 69* range & it's not always clear what they are & what the differences are.

6. Petay

Petay Donator

Field Guns - 691 and 693

Clay guns - 690 black, 692 standard and black, 694 and lastly 695 which is the pretty sporting action.

If it's a clay gun you want I'd suggest the 690 unless you can stretch to a 694 or you want to look at other makes

rich79 likes this.
  7. rich79

I do like the look of the 690 black, I see secondhand ones for between £1700-£1900 described as mint & still tight but they've apparently got a self adjusting tensioner in the forend that keeps them tight, so that's not really a measure of how many rounds it may have done, a new o E is about £2200 so might go that way.

8. Petay

Petay Donator

1900 would get you a minter I suspect and it's Beretta so I reality number if rounds is less important - I've a 1986 s687 as a field gun and . knows how many that's had trough it and it's still perfectly good.

But yea for the cost get a new one if you're looking to keep it long term

rich79 likes this.
  9. paulairgun

paulairgun Keyboard Hero

I've put over 10000 shots through my 692 and it's been flawless. One of the pro's at my local clay ground has put well over 100000 through his competition gun, also had no problems. I wouldn't change mine for any other gun, well maybe a DT

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    rich79 likes this.
  10. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

I wouldn't buy a 690 or 692, I'd save a bit more and buy a good used DT10. Much better gun, very well built and was Beretta's too competition gun.
    If I wasn't looking to buy the DT10 I would be looking at the 682 series guns.
    Most clay shooters will put 10k through they're guns each year if they shoot comps.
    Mates of mine often shoot 500 carts a week during the summer.
    Older Beretta's like the 686 & 687 will shoot 250.000 carts before being scrapped, some will do lots more depending on how they're maintained.
    If you want a gun to shoot massive amounts look at the Ceasar Guerini Invictus, designed to shoot 1 million carts.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    rich79 likes this.
  11. Petay

Petay Donator

Problem with DT10s is mark is a lot of them are shot out so you need to be around £3500 for a real good one. I was considering them and discussed with my coach and he said you need to be careful with them as a lot have been hammered.

I don't subscribe to all old berettas are better, mechanically there is little in it between my old S687 and the missus modern sp1 but my old beretta just has nicer quality engraving and better wood.

Not sure a gun that can shoot billions of rounds is what the OP is worried about although I agree the Invictus is a nice gun but over budget for the OP.

12. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

When your coach says shot out, the hinge trunion pins can be changed same with the top bolt. They were made to shoot a huge amount of shots. Prices dipped then came back up on the DT10 but not to where they were. I've seen a few good DT10L for under 3k no fancy engraving but still good wood on them.

Each to their own but I much prefer older Beretta's. Unless looking at S0 guns.

13. rich79

My dad has two 686e's in 12 & 20b, they are nice guns & I guess they're good quality & last forever but they're just not my cup of tea for some reason, neither is his old 687sp, he's just bought a 28" sp1 minter in 20b for his walked up shooting as its lighter than the 20b 686 with 30" barrels.
    So I've used his guns & busted plenty of clays but there's just something about the 686/7 that I don't want to own, maybe its the fact there's a 69* series I prefer.

The 690 black is nice, the cheapest of the bunch & plenty about but..... It is the lower one of the lot & will I wish I'd bought a 692 or higher?

692, me likey very much, but is it that much better than a 690? Will the ejectors be a worry considering I won't be turning them on/off as is its selling point?

694, I can only dream, or save up some more while the work overtime is good, do I need a 694? Is it just an expensive extravagance that I won't feel the benefits from over the cheaper two?
    It's like the car analogy, a 7-series would get me to work just as well as a 3-series, but do 3-series drivers wish they'd bought a 7 after 6mths?

14. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

One thing I've learned, when you covet a certain gun, don't waste money on anything else, it just won't measure up your mind.
    Personally I'd never buy a 69 series gun I don't like them.
    Save your pennies up until you can buy the gun you really want and then enjoy it.
    I've been shooting many years and know what I like in a gun and don't like.
    I think a blaser f3pro when it fits you takes some beating for the money.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Petay and rich79 like this.
  15. Petay

Petay Donator

I agree with @Figgy, don't buy the compromise gun just because it's what you can afford now because you'll always regret it.

As said I liked my 690 black, it was my first shotgun and buying it new felt nice even if it meant I lost a few quid when selling it. It wasn't special though and after trying other guns I realised I preferred other things.

Just don't bother with the 692, they are universally unloved and even second hand are unlikely to hold value I suspect.

The 694 is worth the extra, the action is the same as the 690 internally but it's better balanced, nicer fore end in the hand and stock is noticeably better to shoulder than the 690 black for me and it just looks nicer I think.

All that said I didn't buy one, saved up the extra and splurged on a shinny new Blaser F3 professional and I do t see me changing it unless I suddenly have money for a custom fitted Perazzi Hi Tech in grade 5.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    rich79 likes this.
  16. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

Don't buy a custom fitted P gun.

17. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

It’s all psychological.
    If you really like a gun and your heart is set on that gun and truly believe that forcing cone, back bore or whatever is what you need to make you shoot well.

You won’t shoot well until you shoot that gun not because it’s any better but because you will shoot with confidence and belief in the gun.
    If you see yourself hitting the target before you fire you will do so.

Go for what you feel is right and what you want not a sensible compromise. You will hopefully be shooting it many years.

trebike0, DUNKS and rich79 like this.
  18. daystate Ian

daystate Ian Engaging Member

I have a 690 III Sport that is still like new, rarely use it but it has been fine for the 2-300 cartridges i have pit through it, shoots well too, was thinking of putting it on here for sale.

rich79 likes this.
  19. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

Mr R10 Talks a lot of sense!
    My son turned up at the clay ground with a ten year old but new to him gun. It was mint. Of course I had to have a go. I wont say I couldn't miss but I shot it so well I begged it off him and still have it. I did not actually discover what the gun was till later. Tizz a Browning 525 with all the bells and whistles. Fat bores and long cones, also only 26 inch barrels. A very light gun.
    Moral I think. Doesn't really matter what it is if it fits and you have confidence in it then that's the gun for you.

Petay, rich79 and r10hunter like this.
  20. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

Old Gunfit and balance will outshoot a gun you like but doesn't fit everytime.
    You can have any gun fitted by a good gunfitting coach. So if you do a like a gun it it's not quit right, get it fitted.