1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

6 hours to get a rat..

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Padster, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Padster

Padster Engaging Member

So, I had the opportunity to spend a good few hours over at Pete's airgun farm, started with the obligatory zero check in the shed, plus a bit of bell ringing!!

Once the formalities are over, it's on with the camo & boots and off for a nice walk around the fields.

Hmmm six hours later and all I've seen are three woodies (at distance) one magpie and four crows in the adjacent farmers field... Absolutely nothing else at all, barren.... But I persevere until dusk and plot up where I usually guarantee a rabbit... Oh yes here they come.... And there they go, very flighty tonight...

But hold in, I know where there's a sizeable rats nest, surely there'll be something to bag there...

Yes there was, one solitary young rat copped it with a JSB, but that was it, the others stayed well out of sight... Until it was too dark to see.

So that was six hours of walking and stalking for one manky little rat..

But I loved every minute of it !!!!

Next step, sort myself some DIY night vision so those rats properly cop it next time!!

2. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned BANNED

Good shooting mate .anything at petes is a result

3. Topmanjunior

Topmanjunior Donator

I keep hearing about this petes airgun farm, it sounds Censored, very over shot. Better off finding your own permission, most farms you would get a rat every 6 seconds never mind hours.

4. harry brown

harry brown Banned BANNED

How much does it cost to shoot for the day there?

5. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Not everyone is able to find permission at least this place lets people get out in the countryside with a gun until they do find some permission. 90% of what Airgun hunting is about is enjoying the countryside not huge bags. If we wanted huge bags we probably would not be airgun hunting.
    Agreed your own shoot is the way to go but I think its a shame there are not more places like this.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  6. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

I don't know but you would think that with the demand for airgun hunting that someone would charge at a farm and release airgun quarry to ensure there is plenty to shoot.

7. warrenater

warrenater Donator

lol now i am imagining someone running around with a butterfly nets trying to catch rabbits and rats to release so some other blighter can shoot them ha ha

8. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Where there are signs of life shooting is to be had, you said you saw rabbits and rats so there you go they are there

Patience, silence, and good field craft (cammo) can win quarry in places you would never imagine, one tip is always shoot alone for best results.

There is nothing easily granted on any of my permissions, the quarry is very flighty and rabbits very scarse indeed probably a couple of warrens in hundreds of acres, everything is hard earned.

Its just about how much time you're willing to invest......where there is a desire you will make time, all depends on how much you want it.

Personally time doesn't come into it to me, I also spent 6 hours on my own permission last night before I shot a rat.;) but it was 6 hours that passed and I feel detached from the reality of everyday human life, I felt alive and when I'm in that zone the concept of time eludes me.

I blank all the time but go home just as happy as when I shoot a good bag, its the anticipation I love and being in their territory and watching the wildlife traffic, I can sometimes sit all day and not shoot anything, but enjoy every minute.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  9. just off centre

just off centre Busy Member

I was out last night from 5pm till 8pm and didn't see one bunny, intended to set the NV up but forgot a lead :rolleyes:
    Out this afternoon from 12 till 6pm and only managed the one bunny, loads of hen pheasants about though.
    Good days & not so good days me thinks :)

10. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

But it's also 6 hours of peaceful bliss doing what you love, I'm away out on Sunday, first time in ages.

If I come back with an empty bag then that's just the way of it. Looking forward to lying in a field, rifle ready and thinking about absolutely nothing:)

11. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

You would breed them in sheds/hutches then release them. I don't see why not, it would be like a stocked trout lake or a pheasant shoot. If someone could put a business model together I reckon you could get crowd funding easy. People are always saying they have trouble finding shooting and are willing to spend their weekends traipsing round farms. Why not go to work for a day, take the money and come shooting at 'tinman's airgun farm'?

12. essex sniper

It's not as simple as trap wild animals and breed them in sheds though that illegal I believe so you would wrong for doing that. And pete is a farmer on a working farm so he's probably got enough to do but I do see your point though

13. Padster

Padster Engaging Member

Harry

It's £22 for the first days introduction where are are given a safety briefing, guide of facilities etc. you can obviously then stay for the day and shoot. Then it's £11 per day thereafter.

One thing is that you must have insurance. BASC etc before you go.

For your money you get a heated well lit indoor range out to 50 yards with a wide selection of targets and knock downs, bells, spinners etc. you take your own paper targets to hang up if you wish.

There's also an outdoor range out to about 60 yards, with targets on polls etc etc, general plinking range.

But it is a working farm so don't expect Ritz style luxury. That said, it's clean, well organised and access is 24 hours!!

The farm itself is about 500 acres of arable land with wooded field margins and a lake (can't shoot by the lake as there are anglers) There are hides set out on various fields too.

There certainly is quarry there, but as engraver says, it won't come to you, you have to be patient and sometimes it's a good bag, sometimes not. Same as anywhere else.

I'm terms of being overshot.. I've only ever seen two other shooters out hunting at the same time as me in the past year. And they were well away in other fields. In my experience of the place most people go for the ranges only and don't venture onto the fields... Though that's just my experience.

I've seen flocks of woodies of over 50 birds and crows into a hundred or so. Rabbits are certainly there.... What limits my bag is time and my filled craft is pants!!

I don't have the regular free time to be able to give a commitment to my own perm especially if the landowner wanted pests controlling... so being able to pop in as and when I can works well for me. Plus I only live 20 mins away.

Some may think £11 a day is expensive when normally a perm is free, but the way I look at it is this is just a cost associated to a hobby. Some buy several guns a year at hundreds of pounds a pop and seem happy with that, Pete's by comparison is a bargain!!

Check the web site out for more info.

http://www.airgunfarm.co.uk

14. warrenater

warrenater Donator

just seen an advert for this place http://www.newtonssportingdays.co.uk/ and it says abundant rabbit , squirrel pigeon and all airgun quarry stalking woodland and pasture and offering guided airgun hunting days , . only knows what it would cost . atb gary.

15. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

I emailed them once and they never came back to me. They are Kent/ Sussex boarders I think.

16. harry brown

harry brown Banned BANNED

Cheers Padster,
    I wasn't considering it myself, I can't get round my own perms half the time. Some fields I've never even visited yet.
    I think it sounds a good idea and certainly seems to meet your expectations and give value for money. I agree £11 to shot and get away from it all for the day is a bargain.

17. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

It says £100 per day :eek:

18. essex sniper

Steve newton is in hastings...it is expensive but its a good day out and steve will learn you alot and you can have a deal with him

19. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

All you need to do for some amazing rabbit shooting is book a B&B in the yorkshire dales, then get up in the morning and go knock on some of the shepherds doors up there in places like grassington on kettlewell up to Kirkby Stephen and surrounding areas, offer them say £20 for the days shooting and most will bite your hands off, some don't see £20 all week and with collapsing drystone walls due to massive warrens they would be glad of the help of getting rid of a few, well more than a few, last time I did just this ended up shooting 55 in the afternoon, filled a fiesta van full but that's going back a few years now.

20. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Great idea that mate!