1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

5p Groupings

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Thewelshwonder, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Thewelshwonder

Thewelshwonder Engaging Member

Just a quick question? Why do people say that if your PCP rifle can’t put a 10 shot group under a 5p piece your rifle isn’t accurate? Most of the rifles FT excluded are bought for hunting and the kill zone is a lot bigger than a 5p, my R10 will group a 5p size group but was just sat here wondering surely a 10p size group would be classed accurate enough for hunting.

2. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

think about the size of the brain in your quarry, a rabbits is around 5cm long and around 2 cm high

Jack's Da likes this.
  3. robs5230

robs5230 леший

I hunt and personally I'd demand a one hole ragged group at 35 yards (from a bench) from a PCP I'd use to hunt with.

A 10p or even 5p sized group from a bench could easily translate to wounded quarry if shot from standing.

4. Thewelshwonder

Thewelshwonder Engaging Member

I don’t hunt but was just asking the question, I’ve watched loads of videos and the 5p seems to be the holy grail

5. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

bucketboy likes this.
  6. Tom A

Tom A Engaging Member

Reevo17, Steve D, Gary Jones and 8 others like this.
  7. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pepe Le Pew

All covered above really.

Once you find the guns best pellet I’d expect a good PCP to shoot one ragged hole at 35y and a good and well shot springer not far behind.

Oat and TORNADOS7 like this.
  8. Issac

Issac Posting Addict

I can understand that getting a tight group is important in the search for the right pellet for your rifle, but beyond this, I hate shooting groups.

I'm more interested in hitting what I aim at time after time, and that's not the same hole as last time, so before I hunt, I set up a spinner (25mm). I have to hit it at 25 yrds, 30 yrds, 35 yrds, 40 yrds, and 45 yrds.

Then I'm happy and go out on my hunt.

9. jesim1

jesim1 Big Poster

A 5p is just an easy reference point which should be attainable from all modern PCPs around the 30/40m mark, which can be done indoors/outdoors and covers the majority of air gun hunting ranges. The further hunting ranges out to say 50m will still be around a 1p size at that range using this example, but if you got a 20p group at 30m, then it would be more like a 50p by 50m, which is getting big for a bench rested PCP gun in perfect conditions.

Hope this makes sense, it's easier to compare apples to apples than 5mm CTC group at 30m and a 1/2 inch one at 35 yards!

James

border likes this.
  10. Mr wolf

Mr wolf Sad times

I’m pretty sure when dealing with live quarry,accuracy is key to a clean kill.Almost
    Pellet on pellet is what I personally require from my own rifle, I have confidence in my rifle and the rest is up to me

11. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pepe Le Pew

Exactly!

Knowing I can put a pellet on top of another in a target means I’m confident of my shot placement should I turn my rifle at quarry.

Also periodically shooting groups is not only a sign of initial accuracy and finding the best pellet, it also shows issues as they arise - crap group = time to clean the barrel for example.

TORNADOS7 and Mr wolf like this.
  12. MrOvershoot

MrOvershoot Now just slightly tired

Just as well we're not using the BBC unit of measurement "The Size of Wales or a "London Double Decker" :laff:

cbrdave and Pete236 like this.
  13. AndrewE

AndrewE Well-Known Member

If you can only get 10 shots to hide under a 5p at 30 yards don’t even try and shoot live quarry. If you are getting bigger than one ragged hole at this range, from a bench please only shoot spinners.
    Note to you woodbe pest controllers, there are no benches out in the wood or field. You have to take responsibility for you actions and if you can not guarantee your placement don’t even aim the gun.
    Practice, practice, practice, lean against trees, rest on your knee find a fence which is a little low and see how you get on. It’s not the same as shooting off an bench

Reevo17 and Pete236 like this.
  14. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

I would say 10 shots under a 5p is fine for hunting.

In a hunting situation.

no country members likes this.
  15. nav2009

nav2009 Donator

[/QUOTE]
    I'm a bit miffed at that, is that a typo?

TORNADOS7 and Mr wolf like this.
  16. AndrewE

AndrewE Well-Known Member

I'm a bit miffed at that, is that a typo?[/QUOTE]
    Indeed. “If you cantsorry.
    All I’m saying is if you groups are over a 5p, from a bench, that does not equate to a clean kill when in the field.

littleJon365 and nav2009 like this.
  17. nav2009

nav2009 Donator

From bench to field is a different kettle of fish anyway. If you're stalking you should be practicing regular in the standing, kneeling and prone positions with good results on a regular basis. If you fail your own tests then you have to go back to more practice otherwise you're just wasting your own time and the risk element goes up. If you prefer ambush then it's the same set of guidelines.

18. Fusty Fieldcrafter

Fusty Fieldcrafter Busy Member

When I started hunting back in the 80's it used to be said that you had the marksmanship if you could consistently get 5 shots under a 2p. Which is an 1". or 25mm if you prefer.
    Perhaps our quarries brains have shrunk in the intervening years... or our ethics have improved.
    Either way a 5p (18mm) group at the maximum range you limit yourself from a hunting stance ie prone, kneeling, standing etc not rested, I personally think is competent with a Springer or a PCP. Others will dissagrd I'm sure.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  19. jesim1

jesim1 Big Poster

I understand what you mean, but in real life I think your level of expectation for every shot from every gun, from every shooter is unrealistic - your telling me you have NEVER missed/had a flier and are a perfect marksman? Good on you :rolleyes:

James

Gary Jones likes this.
  20. nav2009

nav2009 Donator

That's not good enough for Woody heads, you'll be taking beaks off.

Fusty Fieldcrafter likes this.