1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

57 Revisited...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by rabbitwrecker, Jul 18, 2020.

1. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker Black Latex Matters...

2020-07-17_02.26.17.jpg

Although I've owned a few throughout the years, I've never been a big fan of side/underlevers. I find them too slow to load and too front-heavy next to comparable breakers. However, I find myself repeatedly drawn back to the HW57 - and the only reason I can think of is the 99s-esqueness of the 57. Yes, she's loud. Yes, she's slow - and a right fiddle - to load, especially so if seated or prone. Yes, there is a little more weight up front than I'm accustomed to, (but I can live with that). The thing is though, she shoulders and points like a 99s.

Due to the current viral outbreak, the lack of access to my local dealer has resulted in a rapidly dwindling stock of pellets at the farm. Most of the odds and ends, usually reserved for pellet testing have been sent downrange - and the 57 seems to be a bit fussy about what she's fed. QYS Streamline suited her the best, but they're long gone. Hunter Extreme were mediocre and JSB Heavy caused severe dieseling. An old tin of Accupells from a good batch worked fine, but there's only a dozen or so left. Fortunately, my pal managed to dig up a tin of Rangemaster Sovereigns - JSB 8.44 grain Exacts by any other name - from somewhere, so I though I'd run a few through the 57.

What became immediately obvious was the big reduction in muzzle blast, coupled with a very pleasant firing cycle - and accuracy, best of anything so far. Out on the plinking range, any small pebble just large enough to be resolved in the 2.5x went flying and daisies at 25 yards didn't stand a hope in Hell. This 57 is a tack-driver and JSB Exacts are easy enough to come by. The HW57 is rarely mentioned, it's all TX and 77/97 talk. If you like underlevers though, the little 57 is more than worthy of your consideration... :thumb:

2. Curlyhunter.22

Curlyhunter.22 Better to be p****d off the p****d on.

Completely agree with you, mine in .22 loves h&n ftt

A wonderful gun.

CC

willo1962, Blue BSA and rabbitwrecker like this.
  3. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

Often thought about a 57 myself, one day when I get a bit of spare cash I might just invest...

Blue BSA and rabbitwrecker like this.
  4. Reevo17

Reevo17 Group therapy

Quite often thought of one, maybe one day soon!

Blue BSA and rabbitwrecker like this.
  5. Thermionic Valve Tech

Thermionic Valve Tech Busy Member

What's the scope rabbitwrecker?

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  6. gingernut

gingernut Posting Addict

Much better in .22
    My .177 was snappy and was hard to zero.

7. rabbitwrecker

Weaver K2.5-1...

8. Regal Man

Regal Man Very Active

What a great set up.:thumb:

9. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

As I said last time, I think the 99 underlever is a very underrated rifle.

I’ve put many a pellet through a 57 but yet to own one. It’s one of those bizarre ones that always seems to get forgotten about.

10. SteV6

SteV6 Active Member

Quite fancied one of these. Is the front sight removable, can a tunnel sight be added?

11. rabbitwrecker

Not on the 57. Not a bad sight picture though...

SteV6 likes this.
  12. Godzilla

Godzilla ビッグ・イン・ジャパン

Are they much more fiddly than say a TX200, which I find a pita, also are they as easily tunable like a 99?

Edit- I’ve just googled them, does pellet holder breech bit just pop up on cocking?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  13. shauny

shauny Top Poster

same internals as a 99

14. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

Definitely as tunable as a 99.
    Probably less fiddly to use than a TX

15. SteV6

SteV6 Active Member

Thanks. Not a major problem, just good to know what can be done.

16. JoeHeugh

JoeHeugh Beware the Springer

I see it's quite a lightweight and it looks quite handy, all good for hunting. Not sure if I would get on with the breech though, are the pellets push in like a break barrel or drop in like a tap loader?

17. shauny

shauny Top Poster

breech section pops up,pellet in,then push breech block back down

rabbitwrecker and JoeHeugh like this.
  18. JoeHeugh

Thanks Shauny, what I meant was do you just drop in or do you have to use pressure like a break barrel. My reason for asking is if you push them in then the starting point is the same but if dropped in the starting point will vary depending on pellet size / profile.

Gat Man and rabbitwrecker like this.
  19. shauny

shauny Top Poster

got to thumb them in

rabbitwrecker and JoeHeugh like this.
  20. JoeHeugh

Cheers.