1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 Automatic Or Manual Gearbox?

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by Issac, Feb 15, 2020 at 12:45 PM.

1. Issac

Issac Posting Addict

Whilst searching through various websites I notice that a lot of 4x4's are Automatic.

I have no issue in driving an auto and once owned a Mazda Bongo about 12 years ago which was auto and never gave any trouble.

I would normally drive a manual box, but I would have so much more choice if I were to include automatics into my search.

I am currently looking at Shoguns and Landcruisers. Anyone have any thoughts on the gearbox choice. I would use the car off road from time to time on fields etc nothing too harsh.

Thanks very much.

2. Jonny86

Jonny86 Busy Member

I’ve got an automatic Mitsubishi Pajero 4x4 and it’s fine. However, they are usually less fuel efficient than a manual. Mine does about 18MPG!!!

jimbouk and Issac like this.
  3. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Heavy off road work a clutch gives you more control.

Issac and Jonny86 like this.
  4. Issac

Issac Posting Addict

Thanks for that.

Jonny86 likes this.
  5. Issac

Issac Posting Addict

Yes I was wondering about this, thank you.

6. SteveO

SteveO Fourteen

I love my 4 x 4 auto, I can go anywhere in the snow when others are slip sliding all over the place and getting stuck on hills.

Auto is wonderful! :up:

In an off road environment I can see the advantages of manual though, my car has no ground clearance so would be awful in a field or over rough ground.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    Issac and jimbouk like this.
  7. Jonny86

Jonny86 Busy Member

To no honest, if I had the choice I’d probably go manual for fuel efficiency and the same reasons @r10hunter said. Mine is my father in laws and I just drive it.

Issac likes this.
  8. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

I've got a series 4 disco. Before that I had a 3. My wife bought me a days training to learn how to use it. You couldn't possibly believe where these things can go.

I drive about four hundred miles in a day getting to France, several times a year and it just effortlessly gobbles up motorway miles.

I also take it into the woods in all weather's. Into low ratio, select mud and ruts, lift the suspension. Foot off the throttle and steer. Never fails.

Because my wife is a short arse, I can drop the suspension and she can get in. Two dogs, no problem. Fetch three quarter's of a tonne out of the woods in the back, no problem. Full trailer full of wood on the back, no problem. Six passengers, no problem. In short, it does everything, looks good and so far the two I've had have been as reliable if not more than any other car I've owned.

I'll have another one, probably.

Dave

Issac and Hampshire Tog like this.
  9. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

Oh, yeah, regards fuel efficiency, it has an eight speed box, (the three has seven). For a car weighing upwards of 2 tonnes, low thirties isn't bad.

Dave

Issac likes this.
  10. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

I would no longer have a manual gearbox, the last one I had was a 4x4 LR Freelander II, it was a nice car, but a day out in Wales had me up and down the gearbox like a pole dancer on a Saturday night, since then I've had big autos and never looked back. Autos these days are so much better than they used to be, and so much more economical that now most autoes are actually more economic than the manual equivalent.

Issac likes this.
  11. john harris

john harris Busy Member

clutch clutch

Rattymcrattyface and Issac like this.
  12. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

My brother uses a Land Cruiser 4.2TD Auto for his off road expedition business and I've seen some of the terrain that he guides over from extremely steep and loose inclines in Iceland (that made my @rse pucker TBH) to soft sand in the Sahara - rarely does he get stuck, so I'd go for an auto box personally. Manual is arguably better for towing offroad, so depends if this is something you'd be doing.

LC.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 2:20 PM
    Issac and Marky-Boy like this.
  13. Ramsay

Ramsay Engaging Member

Pulling or should I say reversing 4 tons on a trailer seems effortless with an automatic...with a manual it's something else...the clutch gets hot..lights and alarms telling me the clutch is overheating and that's only after a few meters on an incline..and then the horrible smell that lingers long after..
    I'd go with proper automatic transmission, but not a semiautomatic like some have..

Issac likes this.
  14. jimbouk

jimbouk Donator

Auto unless you are heavily into greenlaning etc

Issac likes this.
  15. BallisticBill

BallisticBill Posting Addict

With the old 2-ratio boxes and diff locks a manual is the only one I'd consider. I used to tow horse trailers a lot, on and off road. I now have a BMW X3 manual and the X-drive is crap... very snatchy and probably puts a much higher load on the clutch. I wouldn't attempt to start with rated max load on a steep hill with the X3. I think the modern auto boxes are possibly a much better match to the electronic power sharing.

Issac likes this.
  16. Grey Man

Grey Man Busy Member

The reason that so many are automatics is that they are Chelsea tractors on the school run. The latest Landrovers are a case in point - they are for the yummy-mummy brigade. They aren't working vehicles any more.

Off road, manual every time. Also factor in the horrendous expense of fixing a 4x4 auto gearbox.

Issac likes this.
  17. Ramsay

Ramsay Engaging Member

How many still HGV's use manual gearbox?
    If we were still in the 80's I'd agree... but we're in 2020 now..
    Technology and design has improved.. I didn't say quality..not many garages do repairs anymore... they just replace components until the problem is solved...
    That includes gearboxes..

Issac likes this.
  18. Mortimer

Mortimer Lord Haw Haw

It's a shame autos are often more expensive than manual, or were. I've experience of off-road in both and prefer automatic, though I've pulled a good few fellow shooters in auto four-wheelers out of deep mud with a manual.
    As for on-road, I wish everyone drove an automatic--it'd cut down traffic hold-ups when most drivers waggling a daft stick, messing with clutches and buggering about with parking brakes. :D In a motorway tail-back an automatic is a gift...

Issac and SteveO like this.
  19. Leon83

Leon83 Engaging Member

Actually it is not true... as a matter of fact it is a myth which is repeated by many. Imagine driving up the high hill and you stop. Now try moving forward slowly with manual transmission. There are more examples specially in off-roading.

Issac likes this.
  20. gasman

gasman I Don’t like it !

Auto all day, I’ve had four jeeps now all auto I’d say it’s easier and better, less chance of slipping and starting a slide and much better on the cutch

Issac and SteveO like this.