1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

.410 shotgun or FAC air for rabbits - your preference?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Nexus180, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Nexus180

Nexus180 Engaging Member

Hi - I have been shooting primarily rabbits (plus the occasional pigeon/squirrel/ corvids) with a 12ft/lb air rifle on a 23 acre farm permission over fields and am going to get either a shotgun (thinking .410 moderated as permission has a few houses/ bridleways on border and want to keep quiet - and I gather this shotgun should be almost as quiet as an unmoderated air rifle) or FAC air (which I presume will be at least as quiet as a .410?) with a view to gaining more stopping power/ immediate clean kills - I'd be really grateful to hear from people as to which of these guns they prefer to use on such quarry and why?

Cheers

2. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

They will both be effective although I would go for 20bore rather than .410 ( a good bit more range)

The shotgun will come into its own more on rougher ground long grass and crops and you can shoot flying things.

Where the fac air will be better on plough and less rough ground.
    It depends on your permission and the way you shoot.
    Ideally get both.:)
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  3. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer LOW BELLEND THRESHOLD

I never use a shotgun on rabbits,the FAC air or HMR does the job fine with pinpoint accuracy and no stray pieces of lead in my dinner

4. buffy vampire slayer

23 acres might be a bit small to shoot at flying things

5. r10hunter

Would not be a problem.
    No6 shot you only need 350 yards behind your target.
    Cheers Andy

6. gargloit

gargloit Posting Addict

FWIW, before buying a moderated shotgun try and find someone who has one and go listen to it with them. I has a Hushpower Pedretti in .410 and while quieter than a bade .410 it was still very noisy. It took the edge off, but no more, IMO.

7. buffy vampire slayer

that is exactly my point!
    to be safe in every direction you'd need a 700 yard square as a minimum depending on wind direction!

8. buffy vampire slayer

and that equates to more than 100 acres which is more than 4 times what he has

9. Topmanjunior

Topmanjunior Donator

I can drop bunnies up to 65 yards no problem with my .177. (Just saying) lol

10. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

I have a Hushpower Pedretti! You have to use subsonic cartridges to get the most from their silencers. I tried 12 and 20 bore Hushpowers before getting the 410. I deliberately bought a used gun as the manufacturer says they get quieter with use. In the dead of night a 410 Hushpower is still very loud, but if you have neighbours and their windows are shut they won't know you are shotgunning next door.

Go go to the Saddlery and Gunroom in Westerham, they own the Hushpower factory, have loads in stock and a range out back you can try them.

James

11. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

I think that silenced shotguns should be considered only as methods for reducing noise pollution for human benefit. For silently killing quarry they are disappointing.

410's are good fun though, they can be folded and weigh nothing. I want to fit my night vision to mine, I think that would be awesome.

12. r10hunter

You only need it to be safe in the direction your decoys are set at ect not behind you or to the side of you don't you.
    Even if you did not have enough fall out range to decoy you can still take over head shots stood in some woodland ect. If the area is that tight that you can't use no6 shot fac air is going to be tricky for him.

I think the hushpowers moderate well. If you stand 100 yards away and have someone fire a standard shotgun and a moderated one the difference is huge. As tinmanofkent said they won't be heard indoors.

They are never going to be a gun that you can shoot a rabbit and the one sitting next to it does not notice. But they are great used around houses and livestock. Or up into trees far less fallout range needed behind the target than even 12ftlbs air, and far less ricochet danger than fac air on the ground.

You must use them in a different way to a rifle lamp the crop hard and encourage them to run for cover ect.

Used with a lamp from a quad or 4x4 they are just about the fastest way to control large numbers of rabbits you need to be a good driver for the .410 the 20 bore works better in this role unless you have a brave driver. Don't stop do the whole field then pick up the dead rabbits.

Fac air and silenced shotguns are such different tools it's hard to compare them.

Cheers Andy

13. r10hunter

You could fit night vision straight on to a 20 gauge pump. It will be proper hard to fit on a single barrel .410 or a pump .410. Plus the 20 would give you more range and stopping power with very little difference in noise.
    Time for a trade in ?

Also your .410 will shoot 2 1/2 standard fibre shells quieter than 3 inch hushpower subsonics.
    The eley .410 3 inch subsonics are pants. Everyone doing pro rabbit control uses 2 1/2 inch standard shells in .410 hushpowers.
    Cheers Andy

14. Lincoln

Lincoln Engaging Member

Eley .410 - 12.5g - 2.5" cartridges are reasonably quiet "though do throw out a crack" ... recently been using 14g Lyalevale. Good hard hitting cartridge, but quiet, they are not ... not far off a 12 bore.

.410's are great fun, l get as much or occasionally more satisfaction walking the farms with my .410 shotgun. The gentleman gun ... SBS .410's are a fine gun.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  15. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Personally I would go for FAC air all day as they can be silenced as quiet as a 12 ft/ibs gun and good for 80yrds shooting, I would recommend a Rapid doing around 30 ft/ibs accurately and have witnessed rabbits been taken at over 80 yrds with one.

I have used a .410 on a few occasions when ferreting up in the dales, we used to take 3-4 ferrets and come home with less everytime as the warrens were too big to net, so stood letting them bolt and shooting them with .410s was the best method, just slip two ferrets at once either end of the warren and try not to shoot any rabbits with a ferret attached to its arse, which sometimes happened:eek:

Great fun and a good way of control but usually meant you had 50 rabbits you couldn't give away! where as with the FAC air you can still head shoot them and some places will pay a £1 per headshot rabbit, plus more finesse on a small shoot.

So you can put in for fac air on small patches of land as the FAO will often agree its the best option rather than a rimfire, he may commend you on that, or may not pass the land which means its not really fit for either if its riddled with footpaths like most of my permissions which is why I simply use 12 ft/ibs .177 airrifles.

16. Nexus180

Nexus180 Engaging Member

thanks all for the very useful replies as always. Having taken everything on board and given it some thought, I think I will probably go FAC air (probably the old Rapid, or poss a Superten as budget is an issue for me - or at least for my Mrs!)