1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

30s Or 99s For Kids

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by country_lad, Jun 14, 2018 at 8:19 PM.

1. country_lad

country_lad Engaging Member

Just had an hour of sheer fun with my kids in the garden shooting tins, plastic bottles of water and other bits and bobs. They loved it but obviously struggled with the 77K. Me, I can hit anything with this gun at 30yds. Thanks @dubnut1 , seriously accurate rifle and I love it.

I would like to get a gun they (and I) can use for fun plinking and am drawn to the 30S in .177. That would be the best cal for plinking as pellets are that much cheaper too. But I'm half tempted by the 99 so I can use is seriously as well if I want to.

Kids are 8,11 and 13. What you reckon? 30S? Is the 99 easier to handle than the 77 or would they still struggle? I guess I already know the answer, just wanted some opinions before I go shopping. :)

PumpnGun likes this.
  2. ukglyn

ukglyn Donator

30S for me I think, it may not be "full" power but is a very under rated rifle. Light, easy to hold & great fun. :up:

stug200 and rabbitwrecker like this.
  3. shauny

shauny Donator

have a look at the little diana panther 21. really easy to cock,nice rubbery finish to stock,easy for a wee lassie to cock.

robs5230 likes this.
  4. flatrajectory

flatrajectory Post Whore

30s every time. The 99 is hard to cock and obviously heavier. The 30s is a dream rifle that can be used by kids and adults alike. It's easy to cock and light to hold in the aim, and at around 7 fpe in .177 is still capable of despatching vermin at sensible ranges. As you say .... It's for the kids, not you ... so do the right thing and get a 30s.
    Pete.

rabbitwrecker, country_lad and butch like this.
  5. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

I'd say either of those are going to be good rifles/starter guns but whether they'd fit your kids well I have no idea.

If it was me I'd take them all to a gunshop and let them try out some rifles for the best fit. In reality you might have to get the 8 year old their own rifle to start with like a little Gamo or similar plastic/synthetic stocked small rifle depending on their size but maybe not.

They might surprise you with the rifle/s they choose. :thumb:

6. rich79

rich79 Donator

A 30s isn't that much smaller really, plenty of adults use it, think of it this way, why have an 8yr old pulling back 12fpe of spring when he/she would only need 8ish fpe? I'd get the 30s & save their arms the hassle.

country_lad likes this.
  7. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

I have both and i would say the 30s. The 99 has quite a long length of pull and is not a particularly easy gun to cock. The 30s is non of those things.

goafdoc and country_lad like this.
  8. butch

butch Busy Member

9. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pro Poster

Out off the two and for its use, the 30s. I've got one as a garden gun and I love it!!

country_lad likes this.
  10. country_lad

country_lad Engaging Member

Cheers all. I knew the answer really. Just hankering after a 99. But this is for the kids.

11. goafdoc

goafdoc Active Member

you wont sleep till you get a 99. lol. Been there..

Rincewind666 and country_lad like this.
  12. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker The Tree Hunter

Get the 30s - I promise you that you'll love it too. So much more than a mere junior rifle, I shoot one, (two actually) and they never ceases to impress...

13. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pro Poster

The "kids" / you wil find the 30s a doddle to cock to. Side by side to a 99 as RW has memtiones it's not really junior size. Fantastic open sights on these as standard unless you go fir the scoped kit.

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  14. rabbitwrecker

If I couldn't have a 99s, only a 30s, I wouldn't actually feel under gunned...

15. psycho inside

psycho inside Psycho by name, chilled by nature....

What about the HW57....?

sidney likes this.
  16. rabbitwrecker

For all intents and purposes, an underlever 99s - heavier and more cocking effort than the 30s...

17. Regal Man

Regal Man Post Whore

In total honesty, we dont know how strong your kids are. So im going on a limb and try the 99s out, never underestimate, what they can do.
    Kids are full of surprises.

18. JohnHG

JohnHG Well-Known Member

You will not be disappointed with the HW30s, I have one on recommendation from
    forum members. I shoot mine with open sights and its accurate and fun to shoot

19. rich79

rich79 Donator

Actually I think you can get both, there's no ban on owning two HW's, the great thing is in the wife's eyes they look the same so you won't get "is that another new gun"? And you coming out with the old chestnut "no dear I've had it for ages".

20. psycho inside

psycho inside Psycho by name, chilled by nature....

I suggested the 57, as it is underlever, is lighter, at 3.2kg, has no bear trap, so safer for the kids, and also still a full power rifle. :thumb: