1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

243 clean

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by jonesy185, Mar 3, 2014.

1. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

Hi guys , been told so many ways for cleaning 243 , I only use it to shoot foxes , so don't really get rounds put through it . I find it pointless cleaning rifle every time after use with having to rezero all time . I useally only deep cleanse if any moisture or water has entered barrel , or if I've put a lot of rounds through which I don't any more as it's my primary foxing tool .

Cheers guys
    Jonesy

2. Knightley

Knightley Moderated user

Always clean my rifle after every shoot! Do not let fouling ruin your barrel!

3. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

Yea but don't you think it's a waste of ammo having to rezero

4. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

No need to clean it every time on the inside just the outside.
    If one or two round have been shot it not nessesery to clean the barrel, it won't do it any harm. Plus I know many rifle shooters who never clean a barrel till 15/20 rounds have gone down.

Andrew

5. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

That's the answer I was looking for i have never really cleaned inside the barrel intill it's had a good few anyway , just people allways recommend to clean after each use due to fouling , people have mentioned they shoot on clean barrel all time but surely they will loose zero after a few shots . I'm very on edge with my rifles with the barrel situation . Just want to know what's best . Cheers Andrew

6. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

You should not really notice any difference in zero whether the gun has fired one shot or 50 shots.
    Cheers Andy

7. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

[ QUOTE=r10hunter;1049411]You should not really notice any difference in zero whether the gun has fired one shot or 50 shots.
    Cheers Andy[/QUOTE]
    On clean barrel you mean ?

8. r10hunter

Yes you should not see any difference in zero after cleaning.
    Or depending on the number of shots taken.
    After cleaning just take a shot or two at a target to check and to burn off any oil so you are not trying to watch a fox drop through a cloud of smoke. Zero should be the same as before cleaning.

One thing to watch with some guns is that you always zero to a cold barrel. When zeroing allow the barrel to cool between shots ( bolt open no round in chamber)
    Test your zero with a stone cold barrel, it will be when you shoot a fox.
    I have known people think the gun was shifting zero because of fowling but they were not testing zero on a stone cold barrel. Some guns shift zero a little as the barrel heats up.
    Cheers Andy

9. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

I've done this before , cleaned the barrel then Fired a couple shot , the zero hadn't retained . Plus I left the barrel to complete cold .

10. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

I just honestly think that cleaning and rezeroing is madness after every outing as a lot of people suggests to me that I do . Don't you think it's best to give the barrel a clean once you notice you're accuarcy/grouping starts to be out . Waste really and pain in the arse to clean rezero , clean and rezero . Expensive and also waiting ammunition . Few professional marks men have suggested to me that cleaning a barrel too much is not healthy for bore , and only really clean when accuracy a grouping is effected. Obviously people have their own tips and ways of cleaning ...

11. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

*waisting"

12. r10hunter

That's strange, you are talking about total loss of zero not just being half an inch out or something.
    Cheers Andy

13. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I no longer shoot centre fire rifles but I have, in the past, shot tens of thousands of rounds through maybe as many as a hundred different rifles. I never put one away without cleaning the barrel properly even if I had only fired a couple of rounds. Before shooting I would always run dry patches through the barrel to make sure that no oil remained. I never had a problem with changing zero let alone losing it completely. Some of the ammunition I used was ex military and may well have had corrosive primers so cleaning was essential. Although the more modern primers are supposed to be non-corrosive there is a lot of very high temperature material going down the bore and removing all this plus fouling from the copper jackets helps to maintain bore quality and accuracy.
    I understand that some bench rest shooters clean the bore after every shot in order to wring the last bit of accuracy out of the rifles, that seems a bit excessive but I believe it's best to clean and oil all of the rifle before putting it away, you then know that it just needs a wipe down to be ready for the next outing.

14. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

Yea it has been off a few inches which then means I have to get my poi back which is a pain in the arse!

15. r10hunter

Strange I have never known that happen. I cant see how it can be the cleaning in its self that causes a poi change, something on the gun must move. You have already checked all the normal things I take it, like scope, Barrel float etc.
    Maybe zero then bang things around in turn scope, then barrel etc, to see if you get a poi change, even clean the gun on your range and see what happens.
    let us know how you get on this is interesting.
    cheers Andy

16. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

Will do mate , so I should be zeroing on weekend from clean barrel then ill clean and see if it has changed .

17. tisme

tisme Donator

What do you clean it with? Some barrels like a small amount of copper in them so maybe try a carbon clean only.
    I shoot bench rest and F T/R at 1000 yards. We clean our rifles, sometimes twice a day. I have never seen a Zero change because of cleaning. My barrel in cold weather does climb about 3/4MOA in four shots from cold though.

18. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

Forrest bore foam , napier rifle clean , legia, copper elite terminator Parker hale nitro , I mainly use Forrest and napier

19. tisme

tisme Donator

Forrest bore foam does get rid of the copper so might be worth trying something like KG1 carbon remover.

20. ths

ths Busy Member

I just use Tactical wipe out on a pull cord about once every few months. Doesn't effect the POI and the barrel is nice and clean and protected. Once a year I do a proper rod clean on the Remington 243.