1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice 23mm Piston Hw95k/80k Vs Tuned Hw99s

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by ejcb, Dec 23, 2020.

1. ejcb

ejcb Active Member

Hello,

Am a proud owner of a .177 HW97K with a Nick G 22mm piston - its superb , I really enjoy the quick shot cycle and how ‘easy’ it is to shoot, despite having the soul that a springer provides.

It will soon have a CS500 stock and will be my pride and joy.

Nick is a gentleman to deal with, and thoroughly recommend his work.

I would like to add a scoped .177 break barrel to the collection, and have been looking at a 95K or 80K carbines, with threaded barrels and a HW suppressor fitted.

I appreciate that the 80 and to a lesser extent the 95, are designed for levels above 12 FPE, and thus a reduced diameter piston would be a good move, much like my 97K.

However, given that the 99 seems to be more or less designed for UK FPE, is there much point going to the 80/95?

Im not sure how comfortably the 99 would make 11+ 12 FPE in .177, especially with a shorter barrel, equally I’m not sure they’re available threaded without open sights, with a HW suppressor as per the 95/80K?

So, would a reduced diameter 80/95K outperform a less radically modified, ie smoothed and tuned 99?

Regardless, I would probably get an springer such as the 99 for some open sighted fun at a later date!

2. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker Black Latex Matters...

99s every time... :thumb:

3. Deleted Member 3503

Deleted Member 3503 Top Poster

The short barrel will push the 99 to a point where it wil not be performing at its best.

But I'd say about on a par with a 95, given that its potential to gall, is attended to.

Dr B, ejcb and foxtrott like this.
  4. Jiggy ward

Jiggy ward Donator

I'm a 95k fan so obviously I'm going to say 95k out of the 3 break barrels but if you get a good one in either the 99s or 80k it won't matter what we say

ejcb and foxtrott like this.
  5. ejcb

ejcb Active Member

I had a SFS 95 about 20 years ago as a teen ager - never did I think I’d be old enough to say that!

I do like the 95K, would be good to hear from those with reduced diameter and lightened pistons comparable to my 22mm 97K.

foxtrott likes this.
  6. Geezer

Geezer Big Poster

The best recoiling 12ft-lbs springer I have ever shot was an AA Pro-Elite with 22mm internals. It was bloody awesome.

Not disparaging the 99S, but a 22mm 80 would, IMHO, be equally, or nearly as, awesome.

Have as much weight as you reasonably can, and the least amount of action, er, action as you reasonably can, and you are sorted.

cloverleaf, Dr B, TORNADOS7 and 2 others like this.
  7. ejcb

ejcb Active Member

Makes complete sense - I understand that the 80K is a heavy rifle, and mass helps.

8. ejcb

ejcb Active Member

There seemed to be a few reduced 80 / 95 piston threads on AGF which seemed to have discontinued - any feedback from those in the know appreciated.

9. shergar

shergar Big Poster

Starting with a TX200, I too sought a break barrel. Impressed by HW99 owned by friends one was on my purchase list. Before one became available I acquired both 95K and 80K. Both are excellent guns. The 80k in .22 makes power very easy, fitted with weaker spring it's still doing 11.5 with just 17 mm of preload. The 95K now has a 500 mm barrel in .177 flavour and is an easy cocking smooth shooting outfit putting out so close to 11 that I haven't bothered to change the original .22 internals.
    Eventually purchased a 99, fixed the tight rivet and gauling issues then purchased two more in .177.
    One has a wonky donkey spring and guides, other has a Titan 7 spring with 5 coils removed. Both capable of full power and equally important shooting smoothly at that power, although for a strictly target rifle reducing to 10.5 renders gun even more docile and at this power a Titan 10 spring fitted with @shauny guides allows cocking with little finger.
    In summary any of the guns will bring satisfaction, value for money the 99 comes out top especially if silencer not required.

rabbitwrecker and ejcb like this.
  10. Figgy

Figgy Very Active

Lighten the piston and short stroke a 95 it should be very good.
    My 95 has the 25mm piston so not much bigger than your 99.

11. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

You been spyin on me or sumfin ?... o_O

ejcb likes this.
  12. dodgyeye

dodgyeye Donator

I have a well used HW99s .22 and a new HW95k .177 with prob 500-600 max pellets through it. Both have had standard internals given a once over by me, nothing added just polishing.

The two cards below where shot in very windy conditions recently with added rain for the '95k and it was also it's first BR outing. The '99 was BR with open sights to two inch sticky at 29 yards (top pic) and the '95k scoped to one inch sticky at 25 yards (Bottom pic)

Hope that adds to info of which to buy - 99 T 1 (2).jpg HW95 Air Arms.jpg

13. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

I have a MK1 80 that’s pretty standard inside and is a dream to shot at sub 12, I really get on with it.

However a 99 with just a spit and polish, new guides and anti galling fix wins hands down IMO

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  14. Deleted Member 3503

Pretty sure the 95 never had a 25mm piston

cloverleaf likes this.
  15. kt83

kt83 Keyboard Hero

Full length Weihrauch 80 reduced sleeved bore, short stroke conversion on nylon synthetic bearings was most popular conversion during early 1980's FT rather than the smaller HW85 as many prefering the sheer mass of an '80 providing extra stability especially helpful for those awkward standing and kneeling shots. Actually back then many '80 enthusiasts had two versions of the '80 one being the slick shooting set up as mentioned above and the other a long stroked X rated .22 or even .25 hunting rifle.

16. Tyler durdon

Tyler durdon Big Poster

A 99 will do everything you want , in my opinion the 22 is nicer to shoot . With the aid of @shauny my 99 was transformed with is guides and Titan 10 spring I also added buttons to the piston , it’s lovely to cock and shoot .
    I’ve done some 177s to with shauny guides and used the no 10 spring to , they are real nice to shoot I was surprised at the power the 177 made all just over 11 . Fix the galling problem and they are super guns.
    The 80 is a great gun , but a pig to get right sub 12

17. Figgy

Figgy Very Active

If it didn't I measured mine wrong and also ordered and fitted the wrong piston seal.
    Apparently the early ones had 25mm pistons then later a 26mm piston.

18. Deleted Member 3503

In that case I'd better be careful when I order a new seal

19. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Performance-wise the 99 is nice for what it is / nicer than a lot more expensive kit.

IME both Nick's 21mm and Tony L's 22mm conversions in the TX are easily the best shooting full-power springers I've used (nicest manners, least hold-sensitive, most forgiving).

Obviously the TX is pretty heavy so their overall behaviour will be nicer than a lighter gun with a similar kit installed. I think a similar kit in a 95 would comfortably outshoot the standardish 99 and would probably make the 95 quite nice relative to how it usually is (which I find snappy and hold sensitive).

I guess it depends on what you want. The '80 should give better performance due to its greater mass, and is nicer-built that the 95 too. That said I doubt the 80 will be quite as nice than the 97 or TX (mass distribution, longer port) so perhap it would be more interesting to try the other end of the spectrum in the 95 for a contast to what you already have.

I'll assume from the knowing tone of your message that sleeve 95s and 80s are a thing; I recall Venom doing 25mm '80s back in the day but assume it requires a bit of messing about with the cocking linkage / shoe...

20. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I don't believe that's the case - I have an HW85 which is basically a properly-made fore-runner to the 95 and that has a 26mm piston, so I think it's highly unlikely that any 95s are 25mm. I've certainly never come across one myself.

Deleted Member 3503 likes this.