1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question .22 or .177 for long range hunting?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by TrimB, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrimB

TrimB Active Member

hello all, im buying a rifle. now im sorry to fuel the age old argument of .22 vs .177 but i have to ask this. im planning to shoot rabbits at 50+ yards. for many years i have owned a .22 and have found that the range is very limited. what calibre would you recommend for long range hunting bearing in mind i mostly shoot rabbits. please someone just give me a straight forward answer :confused::up:

2. critter

critter Donator

You've already answered your own question? .22 is limited. I would say .177 all day long for bunnies as accuracy is far superior than .22 but even in .177 I would say 50yrds max.

3. TrimB

TrimB Active Member

how much further can i shoot rabbits with a .177 than with a .22 or is it the other way around ?

4. critter

critter Donator

I would say .177 better for about 10/15yrds .22 will also do this but easier to figure hold over for .177 as better trajectory.

5. Egg

Egg Major Poster

It all depends how consistent & accurate you are as a shooter which will subsequently dictate your confidence at taking long range shots. There'll be guys that shoot .22 at distances some .177 shooters might consider being too long for them so TBH there's no definitive answer however hit the right spot on the rabbit (that small area behind the ear ideally) and it will drop but you have to be sure that it's going to be humane and that you're shooting within the gun's power capability as well as your own ability.

.177's flatter trajectory does make hitting at range easier but you need to consider the lightness of a .177 pellet being affected by things like wind more than the heavier .22. So, .177's flatter trajectory/more affected by crosswinds v's .22's more curved ballistic path/less affected by crosswind.

Or you could go .20 and get the best of both :D

6. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

If you are a decent shot 50 yards is no problem for .22 in sub 12ft/lb, i'm not going to start on about acceptable ranges in sub 12ft/lb power, as it will turn into a dick swinging contest. everybody will be saying how they shoot a rabbits whiskers off at 120 yards, doable yes, but not advised.

If you are considering shooting live quarry regularly at over 50 yards, you should (IMO) look into FAC power

Btw, a .177 is no more, or less accurate than .22, it has a straighter trajectory that's all ;)

7. TrimB

TrimB Active Member

.177 its is then. however i dont need to worry about pellets not entering the brain with a .177 do i? also would you guys rather the 15 extra yards you get with a .177 or the extra 10 shots you get with a pcp in 22

8. Egg

Egg Major Poster

It's down to you - a .177 and a .22 will do the job providing the gun has sufficient power and providing you hit the spot you're aiming at. Just be sure that the shot is within your abilities so practice, practice, practice on non-live targets at varying ranges before you consider shooting in the field.

9. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

OH, most definitely you do. That is why I have used bold type. Using any 12ft-lb airgun at the range you are talking about, you need to be able to hit a target the size of a grape or you will get runners. You have to slot the pellet between the eye and the base of the ear, from any angle that shows the side of the head, or between the base of the ears if from behind, looking straight at you, at that range I wouldn't mind betting 50% of your shots will deflect off the skull if you hit high.

I agree with the statement that at your stated range of 50 yards or more, you need more power than a standard airgun can give you - YES, it will have the power provided you can provide the pinpoint accuracy at that range, otherwise you are going to maim a lot of the rabbbits you shoot at. Even with 25ft-lbs you still need accurate shot placment, the extra power does not provide any more margin for error, it just makes hitting the spot a bit easier - forget the extra power, it isn't important, it is the HIGHER VELOCITY that is the benefit, th epower is a by-product of that higher velocity. I would also suggest you try .20 cal, it does provide better down range energy than the .177 and a flatter flight arc than .22. It also cheats the wind much better than either, it is just a quirk that nature and physics sometimes throws up. I have been using .20 since 1996 and prefer it over the others.

10. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

You've had some good advice above, in my opinion the only benefit of a 177 is the flatter trajectory. If you are spot on with your range estimation (use a rangefinder if not) then you will be able to hit the mark with any calibre. In most cases accuracy will fail before energy with an air rifle except in ideal shooting conditions and it is the responsibility of the shooter to ensure that he can hit the target zone and also to know that when he does hit it there is sufficient energy and penetration to give a clean kill.
    Shooting conditions will vary so much that it is not really sensible to quote maximum ranges, every shot should be considered before it is taken and practice should be restricted to paper targets.

11. TrimB

TrimB Active Member

oh thats a concern i really dont want pellets not entering the skull. what are your views on neck and lung shots. will that do the trick?

12. TrimB

TrimB Active Member

so if 5 ft lbs will kill a rabbit if it is hit in the head. do any of you know at what range the power of a .177 goes below 5 ft lbs ?

13. Egg

Egg Major Poster

I wouldn't shoot a rabbit anywhere but the head with an air rifle - body shots are for shotguns and powder burners. Before anyone jumps in with their anecdotal "I take clean body shots all the time with a sub-12ft/lb air rifle!", I'm not saying it can't be done - I'm saying it shouldn't really be done with an air rifle, it's too hit or miss and may end up with a rabbit doing a runner to its burrow, wounded, and going through some suffering down there before it dies.

Can I ask what your experience with live quarry is TrimB - have you shot rabbit and other air gun quarry before?

14. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

both .177 and .22 if shot at around 11 ft/lbs will pass clean through a rabbit's skull, brain and carry on out the other side at 50+ yards so no worries there.
    as above with the exception of very young kits heart/lung shots are powder burning teritory... just too much guess work and bone in the way for low power airguns. likewise for front on head shots... too much risk of the pellet sliding off target and wounding

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  15. TrimB

TrimB Active Member

can someone just tell me which one please.:) i think im going to cry

16. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Which what? Which calibre? Pfffft...... mate, that's a decision you're going to have to make, nobody can make that decision for you. I reckon we've given you enough info to at least help you make an informed choice going forward.

I'll ask again: what's your experience of shooting live quarry with an air rifle?

17. TrimB

TrimB Active Member

thank you very much everyone you have been awesome. these forums are GREAT. oh and by the way Egg i shoot rabbits alot with a .22 and i shoot them never below the front legs. do you reckon i can do the same with a .177

18. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Only . knows the answer to that one and to the perennial question of what's better - .22 or .177 which is, in effect, what this thread is so with that in mind I'm closing this one because all we'll do is the following:

[​IMG]

I'll guide you to the following post: http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums...-their-answers?p=827456&viewfull=1#post827456

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.