1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

.22 or .177 for fac?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by dan00001, Oct 14, 2006.

1. dan00001

dan00001 Busy Member

Hi, would a fac .22 producing around 30-40 ft/lb have a trajectory as good as a 12 ft/lb .177 and what caliber would be better for fac .22 or .177? Thankyou dan.

2. abc

abc Active Member

hi dan00001 for your first question i used chairgun2 and from what i can see from the bulb it spits out at me a fac .22 would have a better trajectory than a sub 12 ft/lb .177 , but i cannot be sure. your second question is what you personally want but i would have .22 because of the high velocity and the higher shot count.
    hope this helps
    stephen

3. dan00001

dan00001 Busy Member

thanks for the info stephan ill probly get .22 for fac have you got the Hawke Varmint 6-24*44 and Nikko Sterling 10-50*60 scopes? are these scopes any good i was thinking of geting the nikko sterling sniper 6-24x42 for a fac air rifle or maybe on a rimfire when i get one. thanks, dan.

4. abc

abc Active Member

hi dan00001 ive got both the Hawke Varmint 6-24*44 and Nikko Sterling 10-50*60 scopes. i use the hawke varmint for hft and sft holding over and under. the nikko though i use for ft where i dial in and just shoot centre all the time. the nikko sterling sniper i think will do quite well on a fac rifle using holdover as it has mildots. but you need to choose a scope that will suit you and the long ranges of a fac rifle. i would try going to a rifle shop and looking at a few scopes before your buy any though.
    hope this helps
    stephen

5. Airgunner

Airgunner Well-Known Member

I have FAC rifles in both .177" and .22" and I would always recommend the .22" over the .177" any day.

6. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

.22cal Bisley Magnum 21.4gr @ 920fps (40ft/lbs) does everything you could ever ask of a FAC air rifle. :)

90% of my customers want this setup, I spend more time building and setting up rifles to this spec than anything else! :eek:

If you want some serious fun though, don't overlook .25cal ;) :D

7. dan00001

dan00001 Busy Member

cheers sam ive been thinking about getting a theoben 12/250 but would the .25 caliber pellet have a curvier trajectorie than a .22 so have a shorter affective range for hunting? also the pellets are quite hard to get hold of arnt they? thanks, dan.

8. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

.25 pellets are readily available, i keep a good suppy of various brands in the workshop for testing as it seems a lot more people are looking to .25cal with FAC rated air rifles.

Yes, .25cal does have a lopier trajectory than .22, but when you're talking FAC, thats no handicap as you have the option to choose higher power and velocity levels to flatten the trajectory again. :)

I have knocked ut 12/250 Rapid MkI & MkII in excess of 70ft/lbs - believe me, THAT shoots flat! :D :cool: ;) (and hits like a tonn of bricks!):eek:

9. dan00001

dan00001 Busy Member

cheers mate may think about that one now:D do you know if on your fac you have to wright down how much power you want your airgun to produce and also does it cower the brockock BAC system guns or would i have to speciefy this? thanks, dan.

10. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

Dan,

Sorry for the late reply, i've been upto my backside in piles of other peoples guns again. :rolleyes:

You don't have t specify what muzzle energy you'd like to run your FAC air rifles at.
    All that is recorded on your ticket is the makers name, model, caliber and serial number.
    At present I have one of my own .22 FAC Rapid conversions running at 40ft/lbs. I'm concentrating a little more on the powederburners at the moment, but as and when the time presents itself, I may well uprate it to 50, possibly 60ft/lbs.
    Once its on your ticket, you're free to do with it as you please.

As for brococks, they are now section 5 (prohibited), if you registered one on your ticket upto the ban - 20/01/2004 you're entitled to keep it on your sec-1 FAC. Once registered to hold, you can't then transfer or sell the gun. If you wanted it off your ticket, the only option is to hand it in for destruction, so unfortunately, if you don't have a Brocock on your ticket now, you ever will have.

HTH. :)

11. Vulcanator

Vulcanator Engaging Member

.22 or .25 is the way to go for an FAC rifle. With the power ramped right up .177 will go supersonic with all the attendant problems of accuracy with waisted pellets and the noise of firing.

12. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

Not nessecarily true these days with the event of super heavyweight pellets such as the 16gr Dae Sung or even the new 21gr boat tailed piledrivers, it is actually possible to run .177 pcp's around the 40ft/lb level and keep them subsonic! :eek:Obviously, air useage is massive, and theres a considerable muzzle blast to tame, but a lazer flat trajectory, plenty of smack, and you'll never have penetration issues. :D I'm still for .22 and .25 though, personally.