1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

.22 Air Arms S410k - The Rodent Rifle

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by cloverleaf, May 14, 2013.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

We've long had a problem with squirrels and rats in the garden and I was sick of constantly re-zeroing my "main" rifle when moving between the garden and the range. The mental seed was already planted for a dedicated garden rifle, so when this came up on Guntrader at a good price a few years ago, I got right on it :p

The rifle is of 2005 vintage (pre-AT) and originally had a beech stock and was almost mint when I collected it, along with an FX pump and various other bits. Over the chrono the gun performed appallingly - giving around 8ftlbs at 190bar, which gradually crept up to a peak of 10.5ftlbs at about 100bar giving around 35 "good" shots per charge.

Alterations were made to increase the muzzle energy and move the "sweet spot" up the pressure range. Also the exhaust valve was replaced due to a very slow leak - the result of this tinkering was a rifle that now gives 60 good shots (max 1.5% velocity variation) at 11.5ftlbs from a 180bar fill with AA Field.

The gun has also been subject to a few other mods / repairs. Everything has been cleaned and properly lubricated. The loading bolt has been replaced with a new, polished item since the old one was really sloppy in the breech block - it's now an excellent sliding fit with no detectable play. The striker guide rail and exhaust valve have also been polished, and a "plain" trigger blade from an older model has been fitted to get rid of the horrible safety catch setup.

The rifle now wears a nice oiled Walnut stock that was picked up from one of the forums and has had a little work, and although presentable could really do with some more flatting and oiling. A fairly tatty HW mod from another used gun is fitted; I did consider swapping it for a nicer looking example, however the finish is worn where the gun is propped up against the wall and it does tend to get knocked on various objects during use so I think it can stay for the time being as I don't want to mark a minter.

The 'scope is an original Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 on adjustable B-Square mounts, and night-time illumination is provided by an LED Lenser P7 with red filter. I use Ansmann NiMH rechargeable batteries in the torch; which is a good thing as it does seem to eat through them :)

Anyway, I hope we like :up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    The Robin, David M, TR158 and 3 others like this.
  2. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Very nice set up for the rats, I have the same scope and led lenser. Both are top class and the scope is great for close work, you will be happy with the set up :up:

3. jayjaymozza

jayjaymozza Busy Member

Very nice gun that mate! rats stand no chance!

Jay

4. TarkMalbot

TarkMalbot Engaging Member

Great write up and great photography!
    At least the vermin will go down in style!

5. bristolboi

bristolboi Busy Member

Nice write up and pics are great that stock looks gorgeous

6. cloverleaf

Thanks chaps :)

Yes, it does what I want it for very well. The 'scope has been re-px'd to about 12yds and usually remains on 5x - the lower settings are useful if stuff is really close, however once past about 3x you can see the moderator through the 'scope and due to the PX being set so close you get a lot of distortion around the edges at lower mags.

I'm frequently tempted by the now discontinued Hawke Airmax 2-7x32 for the same purpose; the only thing that puts me off is the fat crosshair.

The LED lenser is great (not least since I can also use it as a torch or bike light) but I think is only effective to about 20yds with the red filter fitted (more than adiquate for what I need though).

Anyway, thanks again for the kind comments :)

TR158 likes this.
  7. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

Great write up and photographs. How are you getting shots like that? I'd appreciate learning what set up you have to get them so good.

I have an half decent DSLR and a lighting rig, two speedlights etc. What are you using for backdrops etc?

8. cloverleaf

Cheers :)

Sounds like you have enough to do similar shots.. I use a single 580EX II mounted on-camera and reversed to bounce it off the ceiling. The flash is fitted with a Sto-fen diffuser and an orange (forget which) gel to better match the flash output to the ambient indoor light (think I need more gel as the shadows tend to be a bit orange).

The backdrop is a couple of increasingly tatty pieces of white A0 card. Everything is shot in Raw and stuffed through Photoshop; mainly for colour correction and pushing the highlights to pure white. Some lighter bits of detail will blow out so these get masked. Obviously the process works well on guns which are mostly dark :p

It's pretty quick and dirty and I've never really been into studio stuff, but gets the job done and looks infinitely better than an under-exposed phone picture of the gun camouflaged against the sofa!

9. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Lovely looking rifle - do you mind me asking what you paid for the stock? I'm on the hunt for one for mine.

10. the ratcher

the ratcher Engaging Member

Nice very nice the walnut stock is a great addition :up:.

11. andy draper

andy draper Posting Addict

Tell you what mate,you have some bloody posh rats round your neck of the woods.:D That's a better set up than most peoples first choice gun,love it.
    andy.

12. doodsy

doodsy Donator

that is a fine looking set up you have there mate, personally i think the stock looks great cant see any need to change anything i would be more than
    happy with it the way it is :up:

13. cloverleaf

I don't know about posh but the bloody rats are certainly well fed!

The term "rat rifle" makes it sound like some neglected old sh*tter; in reality it's cared for as well as my other rifles but doesn't leave the house due to being set up specifically for use in the garden (and being in the knuckle-dragger's calibre so useless for owt else :p).

TR158 likes this.
  14. cloverleaf

Sorry - forgot to reply to your Q. I think I paid somewhere between £60 and £80 - certainly no more than £80.

The going rate for 400 series stocks in good nick seems to be around £60 for a beech effort and £80 for Walnut. They come up on ebay fairly regularly but usually sell for silly money (£100+). Are you specifically after a left-handed stock?

TR158 likes this.
  15. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

Thanks for that. I've got a macro tent but nothing big enough to fit a rifle in. I've done similar shots in the past by photographing things against a magnolia wall. I have one speedlight off camera on a light stand shooting thru a brolly. The second speedlight I put out of shot and pointed at the magnolia wall. I then set the second gun to blow the background.

I've not done that with any of my rifles tho. I should give it a go.

16. cloverleaf

Just noticed that I never posted with this rifle's current(ish) state..

The 1.5-5x20 and LED lenser came off the rifle; finding new homes on my Marlin 1894 and bike respectively. In replacement was fitted a Yukon Photon XT 4.6x42 digital NV scope on B-Square adjustable mounts, and later an additional Deben IR unit in the interest of image quality and battery life.

In this guise the rifle claimed a good few rats, although against the cost of the scope each one probably owes me about a tenner :p

Some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The nice earlier trigger blade retro-fitted in place of the bloody awful safety trigger..

[​IMG]

The XT is not "image moving" that is to say that when zeroing the crosshairs move within the image, rather than remaining centred. This can be off-putting if the scope requires a lot of adjustment; however wasn't an issue with the adjustable mounts which allowed me to get very close to zeroed without touching the scope.

Zeroing card at 20yd, which I think is fine :)

[​IMG]

Anyway, that's all for now! Tbh the rifle has sat idle for a while as the last of the chickens expired last year and with it went the rats. Can't say as a I'm sorry, although this rifle is somewhat redundant now..

Dr B, David M, TR158 and 2 others like this.
  17. rizla1

rizla1 hi

Nice gun cloverleaf, super accurite love shooting mine, :thumb:
    Dont think the rats will like it tho :D

cloverleaf likes this.
  18. David M

David M Donator

Very very nice as always Cloverleaf...:thumb:

cloverleaf likes this.