1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

.20 Feedback

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Tripleteer, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Hi All.
    To all you guys that are using the .20 caliber air rifles, could you give the forum some feedback on your thoughts and findings, trajectory issues etc, so that us people using .22 or .177 can have some background on this calibre before we decide to buy one, I am sure it will be much appreciated by all.
    Many Thanks Paul.

2. DanLarn

DanLarn Member

I just bought a .20 Huntsman, should spend the afternoon tomorrow getting it nicely bedded in, I will let you know how it all went. I must admit I've never owned a .20 before, but have known a few others that have, they all seem to think it's as good as it gets. Proof will be in the pudding though, we'll see how tomorrow goes.

I will be following this thread closely, I'd like to see what people think.

3. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I shoot .177, .20, .22 and used .25

For me as a hunter the all do the job but my fav cal is .20, there is a choice of pellets fair enough not as many as .177 or .22 but there is h&n, jsb, bisley to name a few which my barrels like

If you can try and have a go with one is best to see what you think, if your ever at the Halifax air club range your welcome to try my rapid .20 on the 35 meter range if I'm about :up:

4. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

.20 was originally a USA Calibre

Ben Taylor was a strong Supporter and got involved when he had his own Shop

Big issue is there are now several different Barrel makers

Resulting in Different Head sizes in .20
    :eek:

But there is now a real good Selection of .177 Pellets that are capable of dealing with most Air Gun Vermin / Targets

BOB/R

5. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

What happened to the replies I posted on this very subject this morning....there was a newcomer asking about which calibre to buy, and he asked about the two common ones. I posted several replies to answers on the subject - I went fishing this afternoon, come home and I can't find the entire topic now :confused: What a waste of my time that was.

6. ANGOF

ANGOF Posting Addict

I find .20 to be the perfect caliber for hunting. Im zeroed at 30 yards and using H&N FTT`s. Perfect for squizzers who need the extra stopping power and flat enough for birds up in trees. Thought id always be a .22 man but im a convert and cant see me using anything else in sub 12 ftb.

7. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

In a 177 could you just not use Bisley magnums(10.6g) and in .22 use falcon accuracy +(13g) to give similar to .20 properties?

8. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Quite simply - NO. It doesn't work like that. Close, but not the same. Besides, it is only the hoypoly that use heavies in .177 and cads use lights in .22 :p

REAL gentleman use a 20. :D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  9. 177

177 Donator

The important thing is you went fishing ;)

Did you catch ?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  10. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

A equal weight but smaller calibre will travel faster and still give the same power , bit more penetration. Simple.

11. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Was you referring to this thread?
    http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=172910

12. 177

177 Donator

I have a nicely tuned HW95 with an HW80 .20 calibre barrel on it and I am very impressed with what it does. The same gun was originally a .177 and it shoots far nicer .20

My next PCP, if and when I buy one, will definitely be in .20

You wouldn't believe the number of emails I sent to Weihrauch, several German Weihrauch outlets, Hull Cartridge and various other potential sources regarding a .20 option on the HW99s :rolleyes:

That's​ the importance I put on the calibre...

Ah, but, as all the world knows, a faster travelling pellet loses energy far faster.

Take a .22 pellet at 400 FPS and an identical .22 pellet travelling at twice the speed. Doubling the speed loses energy 8 times faster due to air resistance.

.20 typically offers 40% more energy AT THE SAME VELOCITY as .177 making it pretty amazing at what I call 'nominal' FAC levels (16 - 20 FPE range) and superb at higher power from a PCP

Obviously we shoot .20 slower than .177 to stay within our legal limits, however, it still retains more energy downrange. I could run some numbers but I'd guess around 20% or thereabouts.

There seems to be a misconception that light pellets guarantees a better trajectory - often the reverse is true. What you need to do is find the pellet that your gun likes and that offers a great ballistic coefficient. That's the one that will offer a more useful trajectory, and it often won't be the lightest pellet.

I've posted this before but an example is .22 Superdomes at 14.5 gr vs JSB Exact Jumbo at 15.89 gr

The JSB Exact Jumbo offers a far better trajectory, especially past 30 yards where the Superdomes drop off more sharply due to their poorer BC

Pellet weight is just one factor in a very complex puzzle...

:)

13. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

agree with all that, i was just trying to simplify it ;) power and energy are different in my vocab ;)

14. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

THAT'S THE ONE! :D Thank you - some silly sod moved it. How is an phart like me meant to keep up with those kind of movements? :confused:

177 - yes i did actually! I had a couple of reasonable trout and one old stager that was over 7lbs, considering they only go in at around the 1lb - 1.5lb mark, it has done well. It will sulk for a couple of days, but is there for someone else!

Back to the topic.

15. JD

JD Donator

Accuspell, when you go state side, do you ever bring back any of the more obscure brands of .20 pellets ?

16. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

EXCUSE ME? How did this get past old eagle eye 177? Equal weight HAS TO BE EQUAL VELOCITY to give the same power. In your statement above, the faster pellet will be carrying MORE power regardless of it's diameter.

It isn't as simple as pellet weight and calibre though, there is a complex mix of forces at play to make the ballistic performance of an airgun pellet. The 20 calibre just happens to have the best set of trade offs, so it is the logical choice FOR IN THE FIELD.

17. catman938

catman938 Engaging Member

had a hw80 some years ago in .20, best calibre I have ever shot sub 12ftlb. want a .20 for my super 6 but brocock have no plans on doing one.
    been thinking of trading my super 6 for a precharged .20.

18. walker

walker Busy Member

it always gets crazy on here when someone mentions .20
    if .20 cal was a women, it would be beautiful;)

19. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Absolutely NOT - because I can get all I need here in Good Old Blighty! You don't NEED anything other than FTT, JSB Exact or Crossman Premier. If you want to stray a little on the wild side, then the Bisley Superfields are very good - but like anything, it is down to which suits your barrel the best. Either FTT or Exacts will suit 90% of barrels - the other 10% are probably going to be the ones that fall into the hands of the doubters and prove the point that the 20 calibre is rubbish!

20. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

It's because it's different. Just like lady boys, some men get turned on by them too lol