1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

2 phone calls from farmers in two days.

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by engraver, Oct 3, 2014.

1. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Its that time of year when farmers are drilling their last winter crops, and the later the crop the more the crows are hovering grain up as it goes down as there is little else for them to feed on so.

So in two days Ive had two calls from farmers I shoot for, and this is the first time in the year BOTH have rang, in a state of desperation that their expensive seed is going to disappear over night.

One of the farmers has not even spoke to me barely since this time last year and he explained that he had drilled a narrow strip of wheat at the side of some sugar beat and despite a gas gun banging every half hour the crows were just dropping back on, so could I come shoot some.

Of course I agreed but it couldn't have come at a worse time as I was in hospital this morning having some adjustments done to my leg, but all done for 10ish so I headed home with a plan to attack these crows.

As I got up there in the car I drove a grass field to see a good head of crows lift as the banger went off, then drop back down I thought oh yes this will be good, nice day for it also.

But there is a path going straight down one edge of the field, and it was a long think before I decided the only way to tackle it would be from the top of the field that way I could see any walkers way in advance, and it was a good job as I started to put the decoys out when a load of ramblers came over the style at the top of the field, they thought it ok to stand and watch, until I snapped at a bunch of jackdaws passing and picked a real tall bird from the pack which seemed to fall forever, the ramblers soon moved on, but don't worry it wasn't in their direction.

If I had known it was this field I would have taken the airgun, but I wanted to show numbers as the farmer had asked me to leave the dead birds to hang out, so shotgun is always going to give you that advantage of taking birds in flight.

Anyhow after about 5 minutes two big cocklers (just my name for a big crow) came low up the field and one fell straight into the full 32grm of clear pigeon, and folded the other doubled back and by then its too late anyway.

I then got a crossing magpie which went down in the suger beat, I thought it would be rude not to take him with half a cheese sari in my mouth at the time I actually missed with the first two shots but got him at some distance with the third.

Anyhow after a few more big crows smashed out of the air in spectacular fassion, It just went dead and I mean dead not a bird in the sky with a high position I could see for miles so I left the birds near the gas gun and headed home, carrying all that decoying gear up and down that field didn't do my leg any favours at all though.[​IMG][​IMG]

So I went home cleaned the shotgun down had a bite to eat and with nothing else to do tonight, I headed down to another farmers patch, that's been drilled also, with the intention of building a hide and tackling it tomorrow with the airgun this time as again a path runs along the field.

Anyway I took the regal in case I saw a rabbit and as it got to dusk I took two from a standing position, one at around 35yrds which was a real bone cracker straight behind the ear lugs it was a clinical shot then another a bit further out paused at some cover for one last look back at me then a field target trophy went crashing through its brain box again roll over jobbie and one or two involuntary kicks from its back legs, the regal really is on form.

Then I walked over a quarry edge to see one sat out happily munching grass about 30yrds, I put crosshairs just behind the eye and that's where pellet goes, it was a dead straight forward shot.

So I sat and took a picture of the rabbits while I had battery power on my phone as I knew it was threatening to start beeping, but shortly after the pic, I swithched my little lamp on and had a scan around to pick one eye up, right out in the field, I was sat against a tree which offered a real comfy rock steady positon, I estimated the shot around 45yrds, I aim a milldot above the rabbits head and slipped the trigger, I watched the pellet in the beam light go right down the centre of my crosshairs and again I hear a crack like someone cracking and egg with the volume turned up, they I see white underbelly rabbit on its back motionless, I went to pick it up and count the long strides it was 53 long strides but I think the FTT are such flat shooters in this gun that it obviously didn't matter as the shot couldn't have been any better placed if a surgeon had drawn the ideal spot on rabbits head for me to shoot.

So all clean shots how I like them to be, and at least 3 full size rabbits to carry back to the car and I felt it by the time I got to the farm yrd, I wouldn't like to have been carrying 8 or so.[​IMG]

Anyhow my hides up ready for morning we will see what comes of it, my aim is to a least a few crows, we will have to see.:up:

2. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

Great write up again, looking forward to the next installment.:up:

3. Seamaster

Seamaster Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Sounds like you're going to be busy on those grounds mate. I'm looking forward to reading about it too.

Chris

4. Speed

Speed Busy Member

looks like a nice permission, cant be bad if you have 2 farms begging for your services

5. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Well actually Ive got 8:eek:

Trouble is this time of year they all want you at once, and the gamekeepers don't want to see you on the land because they have poured their pheasants and partridge all over ready for the first day of the season which is today on most of them.:D

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  6. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Yep that satisfying crack lets you know instantly that the shots a good un, always amazes me how a tiny .177 can give such a report on contact

7. Speed

Speed Busy Member

thats 8 more than most people have

im sure with your fieldcraft skills you could be there all day without a gamekeeper knowing:up::D

8. glmogo

glmogo Active Member

Thanks for a great write-up engraver, I always read your posts with a "wish it was me" thought!!

9. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Thanks very much, its funny I have not bumped into the gamekeeper yet, but he has passed me many times, he may see my car but he often slows down in the tractor looking all over for my hide but I dont think he can make me out lol.

Ive also sneaked past him a few times when he is feeding up, but im told he only has one eye so it may be a good job because ive heard he is a grumpy b****r, anyhow I reckon he will be retiring soon, I would kove to take over from him but dont know how that could ever happen, as im not in the syndicate.

10. Peter Norris

Peter Norris Posting Addict

Many thanks for taking the time to write up such very interesting posts. Have a good day there.

11. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Another nice write up, and what a view over that crow field..............stunning.

James

12. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

Excellent write up with great images - well done and thanks:up:

13. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Great write up as always.
    Why don't you make contact with the old gamekeeper and see if he wants to semi retire. Patronise him say you want to learn off him ect.
    Bear in mind that there is masses of walking getting birds back into the release pens. And lots of very heavy carrying of food and water.
    But if you could sort those problems a young lad doing most of the heavy stuff ect. I think you would make a great gamekeeper.
    Go for it!!
    Cheers Andy

14. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I may just do that Andy I would buy a new quad for the feeding up and my lad would be great In a few years for dogging in lol, but thanks for the vote of confidence, ATB Elliot.

15. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Your poor lad!! Get a dog like everyone else. Lol:)
    Good luck with it mate you really should go for it.
    Cheers Andy