1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

2 bagged, Mixy destruction and deer!

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by sharpshooterpete, Sep 22, 2014.

1. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

Another little write up of this mornings outing. I get to the permission at 0745 and tip my hat to the land owner and then give my mole traps a quick check, and still nothing!

I thought id put up a birds eye view of some of the land i have permission on and mark our where the burrows are in red. One field (to the left) is still thriving with healthy looking rabbit yet the field next to it is ridden with Mixy and id say there are no more than 10 left over there. You will see some pictures of how bad some rabbits are further down the page. Below is the screen shot, ive marked out the warrens with mixy and the very top warren with the red/yellow ring, that has no sign of life at all. Two months ago its was unreal how many rabbits were there, i counted 18 one evening with at least 6 younguns . If Mixy gets across to the other warrens id say my rabbiting days are numbered at this permission, i just hope some have built up an immunity to it and make it through winter.

View attachment 103968

Anyway, I get all my gear on and head round to the first field to the left and i see 6 or 7 rabbits in the centre of the field, its actually the most i have seen for a very long time. I set up on my sticks and take the rabbit closest to me. Its around 45 yards away i squeeze off the shot and i miss.... not a good start. I over compensated slightly and the .177 JSB flew millimetres above its noggin. I don't bother waiting to see if they come back out so i make a quick loop around this field and then into the neighbouring one.

I can see one rabbit around 60 yards away and the horses are the other side of the field so i have a safe shot. I stalk along the hedge till im out of its site behind one of the sheds and as i step round the corner a rabbit is staring at me about 25 yards away. Its on its back legs twitching like its about to bolt so i remain deadly still till it starts feeding again. I rest the rifle on the sticks squeeze off my second shot but this time i hit the mark and it drops instantly. A quick, clean kill... i think id pack in shooting if i missed at 25 yards!!

He seems quite alert before i shot him but upon further inspection of my kill i can see this poor b****r has Mixy. When i picked it up i noticed there was no weight to it at all, it was literally just skin and bones. Im glad i managed to kill this one, Mixy is a horrible disease.

View attachment 103970 View attachment 103971

This is where i took the shot from, red arrow pointing out where Mr Mixy was. All along that tree line are rabbits with Mixy, im slowing thinning them out but when you take a shot at one they obviously all do a runner and most of the time they dont come back out so unfortunately its a slow job but im getting there.

View attachment 103972

I decide to head towards the other end of the field just to see if there is any sign of life (this part of the field is the red/yellow ring on the screenshot) and to my surprise 3 deer pop out of the tree line! (could only capture two at once). Its always nice seeing things like this and its a first time sighting on this permission too.
    View attachment 103974 View attachment 103975

With not a rabbit to be seen i try the other field again and as i slowly walk around a corner i see a coney only 20 yards in front of me. I rest on the sticks, squeeze the trigger off for the 3rd time and bag my second kill. This one also had Mixy but it was no where near as bad as the other one. This young one was in the early stages of it and again im glad i despatched the poor b****r before it got any worse. I love rabbit shooting, i dislike rabbits and the destruction they're capable of and they really are a huge pest but i do hate seeing them with Mixy... at the moment im not even shooting for sport or for the pot, im mainly trying to get rid of the ones with Mixy. Unfortunately i know they will probably all end up with it but at least i tried to stop it spreading.

View attachment 103976

As i picked up the last kill i turn around after hearing some flapping behind me, hoping a woody has landed within distance but it was a pheasant! Another little surprise to see on the shoot.

View attachment 103983

I decided to give shooting a rest for a little while, the temperature had gone up and had such a sweat on! So i went back round to my van and exchanged my shooting rig for a gardening trowel and a few mole traps. I spent half hour or so moving around the mole traps and putting in some extra's, hopefully by the end of the week i will have got rid of Mr Mole.

By the time i finished setting the traps it was nearing mid-day and i was getting hungry. I thought i would just set up and wait in the shed behind the hay stacks where i got the first Mixy bunny. I spent a good 45 minutes waiting but nothing was seen so i decided to call it a day. I got two in the bag and saw some decent wild life so i was very happy. Im back to work tomorrow after 8 weeks off, i couldnt think of a better way to spend my last day off :)

For some reason i can't add my last two photos? Is there a limit on how many you can add per post?

Atb,

Pete.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  2. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

3. themadspread

themadspread Donator

be a pity to lose a good perm to mixxy it can take ages to come back to its former glory hope you get it sorted

4. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

Yeah it will be a real shame. The land owner has said it has always been quite bad with mixy in the past and it seems to recover quite well but i have a feeling it wont do so well this time!

5. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

My mate told me recenty that rabbits were completely gone from his main farm for many years at one point. He never saw any. He said they have only just started to slowly come back about 4-5 years ago and then not in huge numbers. I never see ANY during daytime/daylight hours? I saw one at about 7am one morning 2 weeks ago, right by the farm yard and I saw one other at about 8pm as dark was falling 1 week ago in exactly the same place and that's it. He tells me that he sees maybe 4-5 most days when he drives down the farm road early in the morning scattering in front of the landrover or running ahead of it, and also in the fields directly surrounding the farmhouse/barns/buildings, but of course he lives there and would have more chance than me to spot them. I believe him for sure. I however haven't seen that amount yet, but they must be there somewhere. All the ones he/I have seen are clean, fresh looking and mixy free thankfully.

I wonder with my mate seeing at least 4-5 rabbits several times weekly, that are mixy free and look young breeding age, why is the farm not covered with them during they're re-appearance 4-5 years ago? Why are they not breeding in huge numbers? Makes you wonder about the old saying, "Breed like rabbits" doesn't it? A mystery for sure. Get breeding you little b*****s so I can have some great shooting there lol :D.

EDIT: Also, just below the yard about 100yds away, there is a stream approx 4-5ft wide. It cuts the farmland in half but many many acres are still owned the other side by my mate. HE has NEVER seen a single rabbit on the land (Green fields/woodland and forestry) the other side of the stream!!! :eek:. Now why the heck would that be? There is a bridge, (2 old rails and some sleepers I think just wide enough not to fall off it hehe!) that he uses to cross with the landrover/tractor etc and where I take my 4x4 to park when shooting in case it gets crashed into in the yard lol. All he has seen up that part is the occasional Hare. Rabbits could easily cross the bridge or hop, swim across this stream and continue their breeding/feeding cycle up there and yet for some reason they don't? Most strange don't you think guys? Tons of woodies, squirrels, crows and maggies etc over there though if only I could get near them :rolleyes:

Andy :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  6. indiginous3554

indiginous3554 Donator

Great read. Good pictures. Coming from Larkhill, with the maps etc, it's like a military operation.

7. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

I agree that is most strange! You would of thought that number would start to boom if they're mixy free, if your mate is seeing 4/5 daily then hopefully those numbers will be on the increase for next year so you can get some good shooting in! I really hope the numbers boost back up again next year with my permission!

atb,

Pete.