1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

1st gun - Underlever or break barrel?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Beachcomber, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Donator

Hi all,

Looking at getting a rifle - it will have to be a springer as I only want to lay out £150 - £200 initially.

I remember hearing underlevers are more accurate than break barrels due to the fixed barrel / scope alignment. Is this true?

Just getting back into shooting after a 25 year break (has it really been that long :eek:) and now my son is of an age to be trusted I'm looking at getting back into the sport with him so would appreciate any feedback.

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Theres certainly logic in it,not sure to what extent it is noticeable.There are some nice underlevers about, Air Arms Pro Sports are my favourite but Weihrauch 97s are also worth considering.

3. martin22

martin22 Donator

welcome,a good quality break barrel is just as accurate as any underlever,its more important to pick a rifle that you feel comfertable shouldering and feels right to you
    http://youtu.be/CHRRrFfp9CE

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  4. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Donator

Thanks for your replies - of course, it could well be hubris that the difference in accuracy will matter given my knackered eyes and wonky shoulder!

One silly noob question - exactly how are you supposed to pronounce 'Weihrauch'? Just so I don't make an arse of myself in the local shop!

5. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

Round this way we say Why Rack

6. martin22

martin22 Donator

i allways prenounce it y-rak but some prenounce it vi-rak :rolleyes: i think the majority prenounce y though :up:

7. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

Vie rAwsh

The rAw as in cow.

8. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Two hundred quid will get you a decent secondhand HW80 / 95 / 97, no problem. In fact, there's a nice HW77 for sale in the sales area of the forum for £130 at the moment. Get in there quick - it won't be there long at that price.

Vye-row-ch!

9. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

Like jackroadkill

I pronounce it like the Germans would. Vy Row K (Row as in argument with the missus, and the K is soft like ch in scottish loch

I lived in Germany for 2 years, once apon a long squaddie time ago.

10. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

:up: taken ol grumps 25 years to be able to spell Wiehrauch !!!!! call em HW,s :D if your going springer go HW , iv owned rifles from .270 powder burners to sub 177 air and all in between . Thee one rifle never leaving the rack is the mk1 HW77 i owned for 27 years . Enjoy air guns , stick with the forum You will be amazed what is available these days , Oh if you get hooked say good bye to disposable income :eek:

11. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Oh, the irony!!!

OP, I'm afraid that rifle has been sold - the seller has just posted that he's sold it. Still bargains come up all the time.

12. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

We seem to be there with the pronunciation but I always have a problem with the ch which is supposed to be a gh from the back of the throat. Agree with grumps and just call them an 'HW':)
    the easiest thing would be to ask for a TX200 its easier to pronounce and just as nice to shoot:D

13. Patrick

Patrick Donator

In theory a fixed barrel underlever should inherently be more accurate but having owned and shot both types i've found no perceivable difference between an under lever and a break barrel with a decent lock up mechanism.As for pronunciation I've always pronounced it Vi Rark.

14. theobencarbine88

theobencarbine88 Posting Addict

same as what patrick says. owned both and theres nothing to suggest a fixed barrell is any more accurate. (personal preference of break barrells for me, usually lighter, more compact and less of a faff to load) At the very cheap end of the market maybe its different though, an smkb2 break barrell will probably have some play in the breech lock up where as smk db4 underlever would be solid. i pronounce weihrauch - as 'v-i-a-rark' maybe not correct though :p

And i may well be putting my hw95 up for sale in the near future as i got a theoben in the pipeline.

15. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Theres a couple of cheap underlevers that spring to mind ( excuse the pun :p ) like the XS36 Underlever by SMK or the Hatsan Underlevers like the Dominator or Torpedos but no idea what they are like compared to the benchmark underlevers (TX200,HW97,Pro Sport)

16. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Donator

Thanks again for the replies - very helpful:up:

17. Patrick

Patrick Donator

There's a test in February's issue of AirGun World of the Hatsan Dominator but they are about £300 to buy new depending on what model you choose. Torpedo's are a bit cheaper about £250 I think.

18. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Was going off this;
    http://www.*******.co.uk/hatsan-arm...air-rifles-for-sale-in-cheshi/Air-Guns/644942

I think he's a trader with the description and pics

EDIT : replace the *****s with gun*star (remove that star too! )

19. paddyDT

paddyDT Active Member

Hi mate.
    The above is spot on, and i'm a fluent dual national.

Just make sure of that lo"CH". The CH should rasp.

I think the bigger question might be .177 or .22 having been in the same position as you a few months ago.

BTW not intending to start that particular debate :). Do a search :up: