1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

1991 TX200SR Mk1 Resto

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by cloverleaf, Mar 16, 2017.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Some time before AGF became my home I spent a fair bit of time on the AAOC forum. During this time I acquired and restored (to the best of my ability and that of others) a very sadly neglected and abused Mk1 TX200SR.

Unfortunately the original post has long since been lost in the great AAOC server catastrophe, so I thought I'd post a quick summary here incase anyone's interested :)

This is by far the most "in depth" resto I've done on an air rifle; the simple reasons being that the gun is fairly rare, I couldn't stand to see it remain in that state and at the time I desparately wanted one. I'm relying largely on memory and the images to prompt me, so there was probably a fair bit more work carried out that I've since forgotten..

Prior to my ownership the rifle had been owned by some teenage scrote who'd be using it for bunny bashing on a local farm. The action was rusty, the trigger and sledge poorly set, the stock dull and covered in many scrapes and bruises. Here it is pretty much as received (shot in the pre-white-background days!):

Doesn't look too bad from a distance - at least it's (nearly) all there!

SMALL_IMG_8704a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_8705a.jpg

The wood was dry, open-pored and pretty featureless, although at least this bit wasn't too badly hammered:

SMALL_IMG_8698a.jpg

The other side hadn't fared so well, with more dents, abrasions and ingrained muck:

SMALL_IMG_8706a.jpg

The comp tube and barrel were a state:

SMALL_IMG_8707a.jpg

Action removed from stock - note the unique chassis and trigger setup of the SR:

SMALL_IMG_8675a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_8687a.jpg

Lots of corrosion; in the usual and less usual places... note also the cutouts in the front to allow the action to slide within the stock, as well as the kinked cocking linkage to clear the front mount for the chassis:

SMALL_IMG_8678a.jpg

Note also the thin square bearing patches used to separate the chassis and action, plus the years of accumulated sh*te on everything:

SMALL_IMG_8685a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_8690a.jpg

Stained and corroded compression tube:

SMALL_IMG_8684a.jpg

The finish on the barrel had seen better days, too:

SMALL_IMG_8691a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_8700a.jpg

The reasonably elaborate trigger setup - the trigger cassette is almost the same as the standard gun; however the blade is replaced with an "idler" that's bourne on by the trigger blade which remains stationary with the sledge while the action moves rearward under recoil. It's crude, convoluted and a complete ballache to adjust, but when setup correctly is pretty bloody good (much lighter than the standard item). This was wasn't setup at all correctly, however..

SMALL_IMG_8682a.jpg

Note also the blanking plate at the rear of the trigger guard, which has been mounted upside down and bent in the process..

SMALL_IMG_8688a.jpg

Some more images without flash / lit by incident light, in an effort to illustrate what a poor state the wood was in:

SMALL_IMG_8975a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_8977a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_8982a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_8984a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_8986a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_8987a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_8988a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_8990a.jpg

Anyway.. time for bed now - will add another installment when I get the opportunity ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Come on, Cloverleaf - more, now!

3. kt83

kt83 Posting Addict

My SR doesn't have a kinked cocking link. It has straight bar that is off set to clear the slide, but it is a non standard rifle.

4. cloverleaf

Keep your hair on lad :p

It was a bit of a spur of the moment thing after stumbling across the rifle in the cupboard last night.. I'd planned to get the post finished then but was rinsed and it was turning into a bit of an epic..

That's interesting - would I be correct in thinking that yours is a prototype, or is a modified standard item?

Right - moar as demanded!

The action stripped down to its major component parts:

SMALL_IMG_9025a.jpg

Original spring and guide (top) along with replacement item below (complete with excessively long and heavy weight).. the gun was running warm with the original (which was in great nick despite its age) and I can't remember whether I fitted the new one or cleaned up the original..

SMALL_IMG_9027a.jpg

SR-dedicated trigger chassis.. the blade pivots in the guard mount and actuates the trigger proper with a single grub screw:

SMALL_IMG_9033a.jpg

Compression tube and piston, complete with 20yr old grease and hardened piston seal. Note that the comp. tube has an enclosed pocket for the cocking shoe at its rear, compared to the cross-cut flat on later models. Both of these parts are standard TX:

SMALL_IMG_9039a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_9040a.jpg

Tigger blanking plates - original (and bent) plus replacement on the right:

SMALL_IMG_9037a.jpg

Filthy trigger assy - note the cutout in the cylinder back block to facilitate the movement of the action in the stock, plus the cutout in the trigger housing to clear the chassis rail. As previously mentioned, most of the guts (sears, springs etc) are the same as the standard gun.

SMALL_IMG_9038a.jpg

The same unit after a good clean - note the caphead bolt in the front of the assy, which is what the cocking linkage bears on at the end of its stroke to pull the action forward in the stock:

SMALL_IMG_9042a.jpg v

The trigger unit stripped, cleaned and polished - note the "pseudo blade" / transfer bar that sits where the blade proper would on the standard gun:

SMALL_IMG_9332a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_9333a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_9340a.jpg

Given the horrible state of the action all the blued bit were sent to Mr. Malloy in Manchester for refinishing. While the quality of his work was generally very high, I did have to send one or two bits back as they were scratched.. it all turned out well in the end though :)

SMALL_IMG_9476a.jpg

Any aficionado will tell you this gun isn't original; given the far superior finish to standard examples plus the inevitable softening of corners and detail.. given what he started with Colin did about as good a-job as could be expected though!

SMALL_IMG_9480a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_9486a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_9491a.jpg

Polished comp tube with re-blued end plug, along with cleaned piston. I think I reached into my pocket and replaced the piston seal after this was taken :p

SMALL_IMG_9495a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_9497a.jpg

The trigger blade assembly in a bit more detail - blade polished:

SMALL_IMG_9695a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_9706a.jpg

Rough end of grub screw polished:

SMALL_IMG_9698a.jpg

PTFE shims made and fitted to eliminate blade side-float in housing:

SMALL_IMG_9700a.jpg

A few images of the trigger re-assembled and correctly set:

SMALL_IMG_0223a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_0224a.jpg

This is where things got somewhat murky.. I'd not noticed prior to the re-blue, but the crown on the barrel was shocking:

SMALL_IMG_9522a.jpg

The crown was re-cut with a piloted hand reamer (not really recommended tbh, although this one turned out OK):

SMALL_IMG_9868a.jpg

5. cloverleaf

I also tidied the leade at the breech as it was wonky and corroded. In retrospect I'd probably have been better leaving it along as I've also increased the lost volume of the (already probably too large) transfer port by doing this.. ho hum.

SMALL_IMG_9861a.jpg

Over the course of the action being re-assembled I'd also been going hard at the stock - steaming it to within an inch of its life in an effort to remove the dents and spending countless hours we-flatting to fill the dry, open grain and defects that couldn't be steamed out. The stock saw a hell of a lot of oil and took an age to dry to the point where it could be cut / buffed.

Finally, some months later after having been properly setup then put in the cupboard and forgotten about, the finish was found to have hardened sufficiently to be buffed to a decent gloss.. the finished article, fitted with a roughly period-correct Tasco TR 6-24x40AO:

SMALL_IMG_4071a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4093a.jpg

The RHS - not the numerous dark areas above and in front of the trigger, that bear testament to prior damage:

SMALL_IMG_4078a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4082a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4087a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4089a.jpg

The LHS fared a bit better:

SMALL_IMG_4098a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4103a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4108a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4122a.jpg

The butt came out nicely :)

SMALL_IMG_4101a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4081a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4113a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4134a.jpg

The fore-end had a few scars too, but cleaned up nicely after many, many hours of work..

SMALL_IMG_4084a.jpg

So there we go - it's not perfect, I've made a few mistakes and it probably owes me as much as a reasonably used example would cost. That said, it's been brought back from the dead and I'm always impressed when I pull it from its slip. Now that I can shoot competently from the right shoulder, I think it's probably time to get it up the club and stretch its legs :)

talent, Slipknot88, kt83 and 7 others like this.
  6. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker The Tree Hunter...

Lovely job...:up:

7. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Very nice.

8. NOTSHARP

NOTSHARP Well-Known Member

Always nice to see a job well done.:up:

Have you fired/tested it yet ?

Steve.

9. katluke

katluke Donator

Interesting stuff and detailed photos . :up:

10. M5AFX

M5AFX Donator

i like it,looks a nice rifle to me :up:

11. RICHGCOOP

RICHGCOOP Engaging Member

Well done. And the best part is you did it yourself. Nice pictures.

12. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

I really really must get mine finished soon, started stripping the stock years ago but wife/kids etc stalled progress, lovely guns, AA should make another cut they ever make a Mk4 TX.

13. Farty

Farty Totty GURU

Superb work

14. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Top Poster

I've enjoyed reading your thread, and looking at you pics, excellent restoration:up:

15. PumpnGun

PumpnGun Donator

What can I say, excellent work and excellent pics :up:

Ray

16. kt83

kt83 Posting Addict

CL my SR is a Ken Turner rifle fitted with a non standard sporter stock with roll over cheek piece. I bought it when I were young, reckless and had far too much money in the bank:D

17. Nitrocrushr

Nitrocrushr Member

Absolutely beautiful!!!! Very nice work cloverleaf!!!

Steve

18. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

What a great read and as ever fantastic pics and details!
    Looks top notch

19. johnbaz

johnbaz Big Poster

WOW WOW AND WOW AGAIN!!!! :eek::eek:

What a superb job- And write up! Your pics as ever are first class!!

I'm not jealous, My normal colour is green!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

John :)

20. sithe79

sithe79 Donator

Top job! Love your photography too.
    Atb,
    Simon