1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

1911 plinkers reviews wanted

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by Shelfside, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Shelfside

Shelfside Active Member

I'm currently looking to buy a 1911 style co2 plinker for some fun in the back yard/local range. I am after some input from the good people on this forum regarding the pistols that I have in mind.
    i defentatly fancy the KWC Jericho 941 (not a 1911 I know) but for its power and relative simplicity.
    the other pieces I have in mind are as follows:
    Tanfoglio witness/Swiss arms 1911,
    Crossman C-TT,
    cybergun colt 2009 Rail,
    cybergun colt M1911 a1.
    i would really appreciate some first hand input on these pistols.
    These are literally for messing in the back yard. I will be thinking about getting a Crosman 2240 for more serious targeting. Hope you can help sway my desision regarding the 1911, regards,Col.

2. Ben 36

Ben 36 Active Member

Hi mate,

Firstly the fps on the Jericho is higher than most bb shooters but it's still not much in terms of power, and frankly it won't make any difference to anything, especially not accuracy as it gets that high fps because it uses its barrel as the striking mechanism.

The Cybergun 1911 is the same as the Tanfoglio Witness and Swiss Arms pistols they're all made by the Taiwanese company KWC, Cybergun is the importer.

The Witness is a lovely pistol I have one but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. They are known to have reliability issues but I think this can be overcome by maintenance and a bit of fettling. Of all the KWC blow back pistols the consensus seems to be that the Sig Suaer p226 x5 replica is the best. Same price as the TFW and as widely available.
    These pistols replicate the functions of the pistols they mimic, are fairly low powered, fairly accurate and definitely up to job of back yard plinker.

Another option would be the non blowback Umarex pistols, for the most part they're semi auto look a likes but with an internal rotary magazine. The classic pellet firers are very well made in Germany, far better made than the KWC range, but the price reflects this and you'll be looking at around £200 new. Remember though these pistols are just look a likes they in no way replicate the function of the originals. Umarex also market other types of pistol which will have blow back etc, but they don't make them just brand them, these other pistols are not known for their quality.

Another option would be the Anics pistols, again non blow back but somewhere between the Umarex and KWC type pistols in function. Made in Russia they're pretty rare and very, very temperamental, but great when they work.They're rifled barreled pellet shooters but will also shoot ***, they have high capacity roller magazines which hold either 22 or 28 shots, power wise they tend to be at the higher end of the spectrum but like the Jericho, with which some of the Anics share the barrel striker mechanism, this doesn't help with their accuracy which isn't great. Although these pistols are no longer available new, but can be found second hand although they're availability ranges from fairly rare to unobtainable.

Lastly if it's just back garden plinking your after the pistol I'd recommend is the Baikal Makarov. These are NOT as some will have believe converted ex Soviet service pistols, but purpose built CO2 pistols made from the same materials, by the same people in the same place. So unlike the KWC pistols Makarovs aren't replicas they're a 4.5 CO2 version of the original 9mm. Maks aren't blowback, in fact just withdrawing the slide is hard enough as they use 9mm recoil springs. Single/double action triggers, rifled barrels that fire either steel *** or lead ball. Also Makarovs are made from firearms grade steel, so while they'll take some loosening up from the box they'll wear in while other pistols wear out.

They are available new in the UK but for about £200, you can however order one straight to your door from Germany for about £140. There's also the second hand option.

For more info I'd try the 'Umarex Boys Club' and if you're interested in the Mak, 'The Makarov Pistol Owner's Association'.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  3. Shelfside

Shelfside Active Member

Thanks Ben36, appreciate your input.

4. Ben 36

Ben 36 Active Member

No problem.

5. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

I have a TFW 1911, so does the wife, thing is they are expensive to run, 1 magazine is never enough, neither is one CO2 bulb. They are pretty accurate and they are great fun to shoot, no reliability issues with ours yet!

6. Shelfside

Shelfside Active Member

Thanks Secretagentmole, it's looking like the TFW is a popular choice. Not too bothered about the cost of running to be fair. I've got to say that on what I've been told, the 1911's are the way to go as far as plinking is concerned, and as a bonus, the Boss has said she will get me one for my birthday,(result). This will leave me in the position to treat myself to something else also, so I'm busy scouring all the relevant avenues for a bargain. I've got to admit, I've been interested in something for the last couple of years, but, with one thing and another never got round to pulling the trigger, parden the pun. I'm in the market now for sure and can't wait to get started, I'm hoping my boy might take an interest also, he is only seven, but very level headed. It would be great if we could spend some time together in my spare time.

7. husky

husky Donator

If you look around you will find the TFW is turning up with more variations I beleave the same gun will soon be sold by Umarex. If you do get one of the guns try and get a hold of a couple of spare magazines. As for the Crosman c-tt I got one of the first in the country from a guy who inported a couple from America before they went on sale hear and I love it even if i had to get a spair magazine from Germany. both of the above guns are fun to shoot but dont expect to much they are both smoothbore so not real target guns but grate tin can shooters. As for the Baikal Makarov Ben36 hits the nail on the head not cheep but they are made from real steal the triger is a bit on the heavy side but you can get used to it I have two at the moment and the oldest one is smoother posably through wear and breaking in and they have rifled barrels so lead bb's are the way to go you can get H&N 4.4 lead bb's from several dealers on line. They also have there own dedicated forum so if it is a replica you want this is top of my list. Buy The way the lead bb's can be used in the other pistols and have the added advantige if being less inclined to rebound of certen targets like steel ones.

8. Shelfside

Shelfside Active Member

Thanks Husky, thanks for advice. I have provisionly made my mind up on a Swiss Arms 1911, just waiting for a window to actually visit a shop to have a look. Still like the idea of the makarov also, just a question of which supplier to use and when I can get the time to travel. I see there is a show at Stoneleigh this weekend, bit of a trek for me but might be a nice run out, maybe a bargain or two also.

9. Johnc61

Johnc61 Donator

Ive got the Cybergun Blackwater 1911 blowback which is the same guts as the Witness/SA1911. Good recoil and accurate for a BB. Ive also got an Umarex 1911 which takes pellets in a rotary mag. No blowback but accurate repeating pistol. Both fun and will eat Co2 and ammo, so stock up!

10. Ben 36

Ben 36 Active Member

As Husky says there is a new Umarex version of the Cybbergun 1911 now available, the Colt CQBP. It's the same pistol as the Blackwater but with proper Colt branding on it. Not available in the UK though, apart from one which is for sale second hand on the UBC site, and in all probability never will be either. The pistol is £99 to your door from Germany.

As for the Mak I'd strongly urge you not to buy from the UK, unless second hand, as they're hugely overpriced here. It's perfectly safe, cheaper and much easier to buy from the big German outlets.

Look at the Umarex Boys Club site and the Makarov Pistol Owners Association, you'll save yourself a fair few quid.

Just to say I've no interests in any pistols being sold anywhere.

11. Shelfside

Shelfside Active Member

thanks Ben36,
    so is it ok to import from Germany ? How does it work with taxes and alike. I'm all for saving a few Sheckels. Would you be able to let me know what German sites I should be looking at. Much obliged.

12. Ben 36

Ben 36 Active Member

It's perfectly legal to buy from Germany, there's no import tax or any other sort of duty. Plus there's some legal loophole that means it's also perfectly legal to buy an air gun on line from another EU country and have it delivered direct to the door, whereas of course this would be illegal with a UK dealer. Although it's perfectly legal to buy from a private seller in the UK and have it delivered by post.

This is the site for the Makarov, although they'll have all the other stuff as well;

http://www.versandhaus-schneider.de/product_info.php/cPath/40_89_108_1301_234/products_id/1251

All you'll have to do apart from buying it via their on line system, is to scan and send them some proof of age. It's easy I'm useless at this sort of thing but found it a doddle.

Remember a lot of companies make copies of the Makarov many of which are sold on that site. The genuine one that everyone talks about is the one I've linked to, the MP 654 K made by Baikal in Russia.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  13. Shelfside

Shelfside Active Member

You're a star Ben36, thanks for the heads up.
    i will take a look at the link now.

14. kev02

kev02 Well-Known Member

Hi there I had a swiss arms p1911 bb pistol which was real good fun to shoot, but I must admit the umerax colt A11911 pistol with the 8 shot rotary msgs are superb accurate and lovely to shoot. Just stock up on co2 and ammo.
    Atb kev02 :thumb: