1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

.17hmr, .22LR and FAC Air?

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by mattgriff88, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattgriff88

mattgriff88 Busy Member

Im applying for a fac and im asking for .17HMR, .22LR and .22 FAC Air.

Does anyone have these 3 and find they just never use the FAC air?

Im applying for .17 hmr for the longer shots sometimes needed when the wind is suitable.

.22LR just for the fact ammo is cheap, quiet with subsonic ammo for minimum disturbance and its still capable of 100 yard shots.

The only situation I would use FAC air over .22LR is if im shooting pigeons or rats in a barn.
    I dont have a permission at the moment where this is required but I want to apply for it incase the opportunity arises, would this be a valid reason?

The .22lr will have a night vision scope attached to it and will be used primarily for shooting on a local golf course.

I do have another permission which is a few small fields and a fair bit of woodland but im only allowed to shoot here in the day, could I give the reason of applying for fac air is I would use this rifle in the day as I don't want to be taking the night vision scope off the .22lr and re zeroing everytime?

2. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

It's a can of worms, I personally don't 'get' fac air, others love them, I guess I just don't see the advantage.

If I shoot in barns I'd use sub 12 air.

In the field, I just can't see the advantage, but that's only applicable to my land.

If you have a night vision, you can easily justify x2 lr's

3. rabbitraider1

rabbitraider1 Engaging Member

I got two .22's granted because I use night vision so that's an option if you aren't sure on the FAC air,
    I have a space and I will get an FAC air because after 200 yards there's no energy left behind a pellet where as a .22 can go on for miles so for some situations I would prefer to use an FAC air (Not saying I won't still use backstops with an FAC air :p )

4. salop sniper

salop sniper Engaging Member

I have .17HMR. .22RF and .22 FAC AIR slots, I have had all three rifles and calibres, I only have one currently and its because it has ended up being my my most used and most usefull rifle............ Its my .22 FAC AIR Daystate Huntsman at 30ftlb.On renewal I am applying for all the above pluss an extra FAC AIR slot ! FAC AIR does seem to be a Marmite thing but me and one of shooting mates only shoot FAC AIR over our rimfires. When out with them we can pretty much take any legal quarry to 60/70yards apart from fox ! ATBMatt

5. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Yup, have all three and use all three. My FAC air rifle is mainly used for roost / brancher shooting.

6. mattgriff88

mattgriff88 Busy Member

from what I have seen the 3 I have listed seems to be the first choice of many applying for fac for the first time.

salopsniper, whats the reason you use fac air over rimfire rifles?
    is it the safety factor?

I have a daystate air ranger under 12ftlb at the moment but if I did go for fac air the huntsman classic is one of my favourites and would probably end up buying one over having my air ranger uprated.
    Don't like the look of the new regal, the classic is a much better looking rifle.

7. maxtich

maxtich Posting Addict

Me too I have all those and more,but the F.A.C Air gets used plenty especially when shooting into trees,but still got to keep the back stop rule no 1.
    H.T.H

8. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

I have .22 fac air. and .17 hmr. The permission that I visited today is a prime example as to why I want both. The .17 is ideal for situations where you might have long open shots assuming a good backdrop for protection. I hope to be taking Rabbits out to around 110 yds in ideal conditions. But today on the same land, there were shots around outbuildings and livestock pens, where I still wanted the hard hitting power of the extra ft/lb's and ability to take these shots from around 60yds due livestock fence lines and no cover in between. Its just always the case, that I pick the wrong rifle before hand. Today with the .17 I could of had a some lovely long rabbits, but that's the way it goes. I honestly believe my 'FAC' .22 air is as good as any .22 L/R having used both recently. I love 'fac' air. KB1

9. coney

coney Engaging Member

FAC air 18ft/lb barnwork and 60yd rabbits, 22lr up to130yds 17hmr up to 175yds,223 foxes up to 300yds ( my eyes aren't as good as they used to be).

10. coney

coney Engaging Member

ps 17hmr only in still air.

11. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

That must seem like an age, by the time that .22 L/R hits that 130 yds target. I don't think I could hit a rabbit out to 175yds using .17hmr however calm it was. Have heard individuals talk about 130/140 yds, but never that far. KB1

12. mattgriff88

mattgriff88 Busy Member

you say fac air for barn work I can totally understand that but you also say rabbits up to 60 yards.
    surely the .22lr would be the better optio here due to the flatter trajectory of the .22lr compared to fac air and even better .17hmr?

13. coney

coney Engaging Member

Have been shooting since the mid sixties, many people accompanied me and can confirm that these are realistic distances.

14. coney

coney Engaging Member

matt I'm giving parameters, I don't carry all my weapons with me all the time bud.

15. coney

coney Engaging Member

Kermit, I don't think that the rabbits notice the elapsed time from the trigger pull,to their demise.

16. mattgriff88

mattgriff88 Busy Member

Lol

17. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

175 yards with hmr?

18. coney

coney Engaging Member

Totally realistic, shot numerous bunnies @ that distance, Google it, they're taking Prairie Dogs out @ 250 plus.

19. djwalker

djwalker Donator

.22lr deffanatly out performs fac air , I had fac air for several years then got the rimmie then soon sold both my air rifles and now have 2 rimfires . the only advantage of the air is when you might have safety issues with the rimfire.

20. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

Take your point, but wont be giving up my fac air anytime soon. KB1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.