1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

.177 vs .22 simple explanation please?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by sloter, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sloter

sloter Active Member

Hi guys,

So hoping to go and gut a new air rifle over the next week and I was just wanting some very simple explanation as to the differences between .177 and .22 without getting mega technical please.

So my understanding and it could be wrong is to be a legal non FAC air rifle it has to be set to 12 foot pounds or below? So what exactly is a foot pound and how does that work?

My understanding of .177 is a smaller projectile than .22 so therefore the .177 (with less air resistance being smaller) will travel slightly faster? But how much faster? I gather this from people saying it’ll penetrate further than a .22 but surely a .22 will have a slightly better stopping power on impact?

I understand that a .177 will have less drop over distance than a .22 because of the weight of the pellet.

Do you guys go hunting with .177? will it kill rabbits and pigeons just as well as a .22?

I remember when I was younger everyone that had an air rifle that I knew had a .22 and the .177 was just not heard of.

I’ve been in 5 gun shops now asking for some advice and quite often I’m finding they are keen to sell me whichever they currently have in stock.

I apologise if I have made some bad assumptions I just don’t really want to buy the wrong calibre and regret it. Then I guess I’d just have to buy another…..

Thanks

2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Both calibers will do the job equally well with a well placed shot.

.177 is more forgiving over long range shots, but if you know your hold under/over then both calibers are as accurate as each other

in short:)

3. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

You have nailed it with your own understanding of the situation.

With regard to hunting with the .177 -yes, loads do, but I won't take anyone out on my lands with one due to bad experiences I have had with the calibre, to the extent I got rid of every .177 rifle I had, including a couple of very special ones.

I am certain other people also suffer these losses but just won't admit it - I cannot believe people are having 100% success rate every time they squeeze the trigger. If they are, all they need to do is turn up with their hunting set up and walk away with the spoils of the HFT winners prize fund! So why aren't they?

You haven't included .20 in your choices. Do a bit of research on the inbetweenie and confuse yourself even more - my experience is that anyone who has changed to the middle weight in recent years has fallen in love with it. Early adopters did suffer some bad barrel problems, but they are a thing of the last and I have never had a bad experience of that calibre and I have been using it since 1996 - I now have 3 rifles in .20 and 3 rifles in .22 (because I can't bring myself to get rid of them!) It is .20 that gets used 90% of the time. When I pluck up the courage I will reduce my rifles even further...my Daystate Huntsman in .20 might even be up for grabs.....without the scope though.

[​IMG]

4. 177

177 Donator

I thought you said you wanted to keep it simple ?

;)

A foot pound is nothing more than a unit of measurement where guns are concerned as ammunition exits the barrel.

You need to have less than 12 of them to be 'road legal'.

The 12 foot pound limit is just that; a limit. Too many people view it as a target to reach rather than a limit to work within. Ask your gun shop to chrono test the rifle before you take it home. If they can't or won't, or if they want to charge you, walk away and find another gun shop. Any shop that sells air rifles without the means to test them is not to be trusted. Any shop wanting to charge you on top of spending your pennies on a rifle to chrono it is taking the mick.

Air resistance is a big subject - the faster something is moving, the more severely it is affected by air resistance, but that's only one small part of the overall debate.

In brief, .177 pellets fly faster than .22 from a same-power gun but they retain less energy downrange. Although they can be more affected by cross wind, some people argue that their faster flight mitigates this.

A .177 Air Arms Field pellet travelling at 800 feet per second gives you 11.94 foot pounds.

A .22 Air Arms Field pellet travelling at 580 feet per second gives you 11.95 foot pounds.

The .22 is just under double the weight of the .177

Either will kill vermin if you put the pellet in the right place, which is infinitely more important than the calibre you happen to be using.

.177 can often over-penetrate, especially at closer range. A lot of farmers and landowners that I do clearance for won't allow a .177 in or around their buildings since it is not uncommon for the pellet to pass through a rat or pigeon and start knocking holes into the structure itself...

There are more influencing factors than pellet weight but, yes, a .177 flies on a flatter trajectory over a longer distance.

In fairness though, you have to ask yourself whether this is of benefit to you under real world conditions.

Out to 35 yards I see no case for either calibre over the other when discussing trajectory on its own. Both are very close out to that range so, to be honest, you need to look at other pros and cons to both calibres. It's once you get past 35 yards that the gap between .177 and .22 opens up far more noticeably, but if you are new to air rifles and hunting then you need a kick in the pants if you plan on pushing that range in your early days anyway since you won't be shooting accurately enough for humane kills regardless of calibre.

Personally, I'll say yes, and no :rolleyes:

Being absolutely honest I see more runners shot with a .177 than with a .22. Other people have made similar comments.

The problem with this whole discussion is very simple in my opinion.

The .177 flies faster and flatter for longer. That makes it easier to be accurate with, which is very different to saying it is more accurate, whch is isn't.

The trouble with that is you need to be far more precise in your shot placement.

So there's your conundrum: door number one is easier to shoot accurately due to flatter trajectory but requires more precise shot placement to capitalise on its features. Door number 2 requires you to learn a little more about holdover and hold under at different ranges due to its greater arc of trajectory, but it retains more energy.

Some folks will tell you that .177 is the 'thinking man's calibre' which is just a load of bunk.

Buy what you like an then learn how to get the best out of it. I have both calibres and prefer to hunt with .22 or .20 over .177, but I still hunt with .177 now and then.

This is because I have put the miles in to understand what my rig is doing and where the pellet will go at different distances.

Put the work in and any calibre will do the business downrange.

I would say this though - in my opinion spring air rifle hunting ought to be kept to 35 yards or less for most people due to their limitations on accurate shooting at that range. Given how close both calibres are until they get past 35 yards, you need to evaluate the benefits or negatives of the calibres on other merits.

Most gun shops just like most people on here will advise you to buy what they have.

I would suggest you mount as many guns to your shoulder as you can and pick the one that feels the most comfortable. Once you reach that stage you can ask what calibre it is...

:)

There isn't a right or wrong calibre unless you plan on doing certain target shooting disciplines, in which case a .177 will give you certain advantages.

Buy what you like, then learn to use it within its (and your) capabilities.

Good luck !

5. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

If you're after a gun for hunting/plinking only then a .22 will be great, especially if its a springer you're after. For targets .177 is the ultimate as there's greater forgiveness in range estimation. If you're doing both you could use a .177 to hunt, but as many use heavy .177 pellets to do so, I really don't see the point. (Except you can fit more in your handbag)

.20 is a great hunting calibre, but will still suffer against .177 on the range.

6. AGF STAFF

AGF STAFF Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

In one form or another this topic has probably been covered more times than almost any other.

Please use the search function - pretty much every variable on calibre differences has been discussed so you'll have plenty to read on the subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.