1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

.177 pellet choice @ 20ftp+

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Fxwhisper, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Fxwhisper

Fxwhisper Active Member

Well my bsa superten arrived yesterday, at long last.

after putting it on a chrono it was putting out a crappy 9.8ftp, thats a new rifle from bsa!!
    I thought about taking it back for a tune up, but then I wont see it for a week. So I made up some shimms out of a filler spreader and fitted them inside the regulator,while i was in the regulator I also made the exhaust valve 3mm longer.
    Two hours later we were on the chrono at 20.4ftp in 177 (thats a seriously fast pellet), thats more like it:up:

Now I am having trouble with pellet choice. I have tried all the heavy pellets with a scattered effect.

Air arms diablos seem to be the best, 2inch groups at 60yrds and Field target trophy are fairly close behind. I would like to get 1inch groups if poss?? am I expecting to much at 60yrds?

anyone reccomend a pellet to go really fast:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Be careful, if the pellets go supersonic they'll become unstable and you'll loose all the accuracy!

For the kind of power you'd need a heavy pellet, the heaviest you can get, hollowpoints wouldn't be a bad idea either, that's some muzzle energy you've got there :D

3. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Its best to use fac .177 at 18ftps, or like Cog says, your going to get, pellets, all over the shop (place)......a good pellet is bisley magnum, thinks it 10.5 grains, if you want to go heavy, try piledrivers at 21 grains. have fun;):D

4. Fxwhisper

Fxwhisper Active Member

if I have to reduce the power I will, but I am going to try every pellet under the sun first:D

I did try some 10.5g ultra magnums, but I couldnt constantly hit a A4 size paper @ 60yrds.
    The more I use the rifle, its starting to get closer groups with aa diablos. Is it possible a barrel can get better when its run in a bit:confused:?

5. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

If anything the barrel should get worse over time as stuff collects in it, but I'm not an expert :confused:

6. Buzz

Buzz Banned

I'm sorry if this has been covered somewhere else, but is this gun registered on FAC ??

7. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

If not be happy with 11.5 fpe it does the job.

8. Fxwhisper

Fxwhisper Active Member

Going through all the relavant paperwork, and it will be registered on FAC monday tuesday. My local gun shop have offered to take it in till then, so I will take them up on that.:up:

Would the copper tipped pellets be any more accurate at that kind of power:confused: I hear they keep their shape better at speed

9. Buzz

Buzz Banned

You're not actually talking about mega pellet speeds if you use something in the 10 + grain bracket, it's only 950 ft/sec for 10 grain. I'm shooting H&N FTT's at 8.64 grains at 780 ft/sec, so you'd only be about 20% faster than mine....can't see a problem....just don't shoot light pellets.

I thought you had to prove you needed an fac gun and have it approved BEFORE you got it...even for an existing FAC.

10. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

thats right you ave to state the land where you you intend to shoot it then the fao will check your land and check your home security and make sure you have a suitable cabinet then they will issue a certificate then you can go out and buy the gun what he has done is buy a sub 12ftlb gun and tune it up to fac power which is illegal unless you allready have an existing fac and a free slot on your fac for the gun but as long as the gun is kept with an rfd and he doesn't shoot it untill his fac is sorted he will be ok

11. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

And you wonder why anti-tamper screws are being fitted to airguns, there is far to-much of this going on:down:. Get the fac documents 1st, then get the gun:up:

12. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

Your right andy you should not raise the power until you've got the fac as now the gun has to be kept with an rfd untill you get the fac and if your fac is refused the rfd are not allowed to give you the gun back and you will have to pay them to reduce the power for you

13. Buzz

Buzz Banned

This is just what I was getting at Andy but without actually making any accusations or putting both feet on my mouth. A1 was bollocked relentlessly for even intimating he might be doing something illegal (when he actually wasn't at all) and told he was portraying the whole shooting community in a very bad way....this post got nothing...why ?
    I fitted a new uprated spring to my Edgar Brothers model 60. Fired one pellet through it with the chrono attached, found it was over the limit and immediately put it back to what it was....why wouldn't anybody do the same ??

14. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

We don't actually have the full story here as there is a way around the fac there is a temporary certificate that you can get from the firearms department that allows you to keep but not use a firearm it's normally given out in the case of an fac holder passing away and his family being left with his guns and if for example airguns were all put on ticket owners would be given these certifcates whilst there fac applications were sorted out

15. Buzz

Buzz Banned

That's the only reason I haven't deleted the thread jamjon...people on forums think they are annonymous...but many have found out different when the old bill comes knocking.

16. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

Well if he has a temporary exemption certificate then he is ok but if not then this is an illegal act and i agree that it should be deleted as we don't need the forum associated with that i await his response and hope that we are over reacting

17. Fxwhisper

Fxwhisper Active Member

to clear things up I have a FAC licence for my rim fires, but the rifle has not been added to the certicate yet. It will be done

18. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

Then that is illegal as if you allready have rimfires you should know that you need to add the gun to the ticket before you buy it or raise the power on it you should have waited untill after the paperwork was complete this is a really bad example to be setting

19. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Have we not got to the bottom of this yet ???

20. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

Yes he has upped the power before the paper work was completed which is ilegal