1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

.177/.20 Fac?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Chris_Brads, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Chris_Brads

Chris_Brads Impressive Member

I've never had an FAC and I don't plan on getting one atm. But if I got a permission again - I'd definitely look into it. Has anyone had experience with FAC air rifles in sub .22 calibre, does it have any benefits at all? I notice you can buy .177 pellets weighing over 20 grains, but then, why not just get a .22!? I remember watching a YouTube video on the Ted's Holdover channel - he had a .177 HW100 FAC and he decided it was too powerful because at very high velocities he discovered diabolo pellets become unstable. I'd be very interested to hear everyone thoughts on the subject - Cheers

talent and Sanguinius like this.
  2. TonyB55

TonyB55 Engaging Member

It would seem that over circa 900ft/sec you are running into unstable area. It is the switch from super sonic to sub sonic (I think called transonic stage) is where the instability comes in. This is dependant on range, so if you are hitting your quarry at super sonic speeds it will be accurate. It is the slowdown that gives problems. More powerful air guns shoot heavy pellets which reduces speed, but may carry more energy at distance. Chairgun may be your best friend.

Chris_Brads likes this.
  3. bucketboy

bucketboy Big Poster

.177 at 900fps travels exactly the same speed as a .22 at 900fps but it will use more air and make a small hole.

Answer complete!

Bb

keithy likes this.
  4. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Pro Poster

There is an interesting side to this and it is the JSB .177 13g or 16g pellets. You can make 30FT/LBS with the 16g and the .177 Daystate Wolverine HP is based around it.

Pretty much, power with FAC air will only increase with pellet weight as the speed is limited, however a .177 projectile travelling at 900FPS but having the same weight as a .22 projectile traveling at the same speed will be more efficient at traveling through the air if that makes sense.

But as BB says above it will require more air than a .22 pellet would all else being equal.

What will really change this is if they bring out a .177 airgun slug, then the velocity is no longer a limiting factor as slugs have a much higher BC and can be pushed a lot faster.

Downside to that is slugs are as expensive, if not more than high quality rimfire ammo, so except for the challenge and less risk with carryover you may as well shoot a rimfire.

I will be experimenting with some .22 slugs shortly just for fun, but they cost 20p each.

talent, Ghost88 and Chris_Brads like this.
  5. Chris_Brads

Chris_Brads Impressive Member

@Spray1Mark Have you seen the H&N Pile Drivers and Rabbit Magnums? Would these be classed as 'Slugs'?

6. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Pro Poster

More of a "bullet" design than slug?, tried them all, none shoot well from pellet barrels IME, they may shoot well out of a slug barrel though.

7. bucketboy

bucketboy Big Poster

Wishful thinking Mark!

Bb

8. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Pro Poster

Something to test and waste time with!

9. bucketboy

bucketboy Big Poster

You forgot to mention “waste money on” I really struggled to understand why anyone would want an fac .177 no real advantages plenty of disadvantages.

Bb

10. Mr wolf

Mr wolf Sad times

I kind of agree, would like a .22 at .177 velocity

11. bucketboy

bucketboy Big Poster

In fac with the right pellet you can get a .22 accurate at 1000fps it will gulp air though. TBH, if I were going the fac route, I would go with a .25 and a polygonal or fx barrel running at 925-950fps.

Bb

12. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Pro Poster

Yes agreed the .25 is amazing, I can get 980FPS with the Impact and the 25g JSB, 880 with the 33g for around 60 shots.

However what I am looking forward to now is shooting the .22 Redesigned Monster 25g pellet, hoping to get it near to 950FPS with a 600mm barrel.

13. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Pro Poster

Best accuraccy I find is with the .22 18g JSB at 880-900FPS.

14. keithy

keithy Posting Addict

I may be wrong but .177 at 900 fps is only 15 ft lb. But .22 at 900 fps is around 29 ft lb.

15. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Reason there are FAC Air Rifles is that some countries allow unlimited power Air Rifles. But Not to have Shell firing Rifles.
    Pax made the .177 21.g Pile Driver originally for South Africa - Which is Not Allowed to have .22
    Within weeks of going there some came back and was requested for UK Market
    My HW100 sub 12FP with lighter pellets liked them. But it was used in testing and development
    .22 FAC 30's & Pile Drivers are used often in Bench Resting Air Rifles.
    And for Hunting where there is Not a Back Stop for Shell rifles
    As most are Aware H & N purchased Pax Pellet Division several years ago

16. JohnHG

JohnHG Engaging Member

In South Africa we are now allowed up to 5.5 mm (.22)
    with no power restriction.
    The 5mm (.20) is the most favoured caliber here for FAC
    air rifles. I have a HW80K in .20 very accurate used for
    any PC work.

Jay Butts likes this.
  17. bigal

bigal Jedi.

I sat at 1040fps on 22 with 16g as ammo for years, 60shots on a non regged rapid.

Only reason I turned it down to be tight on air. Lol. Runs at 920fps now and get 140shots on a smaller 400cc bottle. Still the pellet travels through them at 100yds etc.

I never run 177 etc as said above, u just waste air to do the same job.

bucketboy likes this.
  18. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Pro Poster

For .177 with an 8.44g pellet correct, however as said earlier the only real way to get more power with an airgun is to go up in caliber or go up in pellet weight and maintain the speed, hence a 13g or 16g .177 JSB at 900FPS will give 23 & 29 FPE respectively.

19. themadspread

themadspread Donator

matt dubber has a vid on you tube.on the range on super slow mo he had to wind down his 177 to around 16 ft lbs to get the pellet to fly true.at higher power the pellet just spialed through the air and was very poor accuracy wise

Chris_Brads likes this.
  20. bucketboy

bucketboy Big Poster

He also does a good video on pellet vs twist rate.

Bb

themadspread likes this.