1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

.17 hmr case splitting

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by mbison, Sep 1, 2014.

1. mbison

mbison Busy Member

So I was talking to a chap today and he said he's never had problems with his 17 hmr (savage 93) getting bad brass or split ammo. Now today I took my hmr out for the first time and being the gent I am, cleaned up as many cases as I could recover. I noticed this when I git home!

[​IMG]

2 of those are the remington rounds the gent gave me to try, the others are hornady. I didnt see any amongst the CCI I tried.

It begs the question though, if he isn't getting splits, does this mean there could be something wrong with my gun? It seemed to shoot just fine but it's not a normal occurrence surely.

2. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

I'd try and find out the chamber dimensions, and then check your chamber size against them, you may have a slightly oversized chamber.

John

3. harry brown

harry brown Banned BANNED

It's pretty well known that some older batches of HMR ammo cases split. Some say it's due to the neck not being annealed. I doubt very much your chamber is at fault.

4. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

It could just be the brass is very thin. It happens with centre fire brass when it has been work to many times on a reloading press.

Andrew

5. snapperspike

snapperspike Engaging Member

I've banged an AWFUL lot of rounds through my 17hmr, all Hornady I have to say, and never had any problems at all.
    It USED to be reported, but that was quite a while ago.

6. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I've had the same with some Hornady rounds. It seems not to do any harm to the chamber, as far as I can tell.

7. rabbitraider1

rabbitraider1 Engaging Member

I've had tonnes do this, I like to pretend the horrendous fliers are due to it. Takes some of the heat off me ;)

8. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

I thought it would have been a head spacing fault or like been said thin cartridge walls, manufacturing fault or reloaded to many times

9. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Poor manufacturing; the .17hmr isn't reloadable.

10. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

Try and do a side by side test, with another rifle owner, if the cases split equally in both rifles then the ammo's at fault, if its mainly your rifle then your chamber is slightly large, which could easily be just manufacturing tolerances, if the rifles new then take it back, as the chamber won't shrink!

John

11. mbison

mbison Busy Member

My rifle isn't new so that isn't an option. That's 5 out of about 70 I fired. I'm gonna keep going and see what happens. The brass on these little guys is wafer thin if I'm honest

12. harry brown

harry brown Banned BANNED

Just search the other forums, there's lots of info. Like I said earlier many believe it's due to the fact the neck cannot be heat treated after the priming powder is in the rim. It's possible you have some of the old stock rounds which were from bad batches. I've never had this problem ...yet.

13. tobys

tobys Engaging Member

Worth checking all HMR rounds before shooting them. You'll likely find some (maybe 1-2%) are already split. Now, I think more split during firing, but obviously defective ones will already be.
    I have a Savage 93 TRR-SR and it splits plenty but shoots just fine. The ones split before shooting are likely to squib or not fire at all due to damp/lost powder.
    Plenty of (sometimes scary) research and info on the web, especially stateside.

14. airarmstx200

airarmstx200 Well-Known Member

its acommon problem im having the same cracks report it to your supplier.

15. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

i can see two reasons for that,

1 the chamber is bigger than round (may be of very big shot count on rifle) or it's already deformed
    - try to put some wax in or selfhardening plasticine or whatewer else to get the exact measurments of the chamber after
    2 you have the bolt lockings weared or deformed and your bolt lets to the round to move back during the shot for few mm

16. Old Owl

Old Owl Newbie

Hi Guys,
    The reason they do it is due to the manufacturing process. The HMR is made from necked down .22 WMR brass. As the priming compound is already in the rim of the shell they can't be annealed so the shoulder is brittle and some may have microscopic cracks in them that open up when they are fired.
    This in itself usually is not a problem. The major problem is that the shells can be contaminated by moisture in wet or humid conditions, and caused a partial combustion of the charge, leaving a projectile wedged in the barrel.
    Inexperienced shooters in particular do not notice the difference in the report and re-chamber and fire another round and all hell breaks loose.
    I am currently looking at a customers Ruger m77 that he was lucky to walk away with his eyes and fingers from.
    I have had to dislodge several projectiles from other barrels.
    There was some talk that the makers of the ammo were going to start using nickel cases that don't work harden. That was about five years ago and we haven't seen them yet and the problem persists.
    The moral of this story is, if it don't sound right, have a look down the barrel before trying again.

17. mmamonster

mmamonster Pro Poster

Me and jsb888 took out my 17hmr to zero in new scope a couple of days ago,
    i had about 3 out of 30 that split. They were reminington aswel.

18. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

I had this on Saturday just gone, the second shot from my new t-bolt misfired and left a round up the barrel, and had several spilt case's too :(