1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

12v Battery pack using AA

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by d900man, Mar 24, 2014.

1. d900man

d900man Engaging Member

After blowing my 12v battery last night I have decided to build my own using AA batteries.

I know I need 8 x 1.5 AA batteries to give me 12v but my problem lies with how long it will last.

The batteries I plan to use are 2200mah and will be powering a bullet camera and also a 4.3" screen.

Would I be asking so much to get about 3 hours out of it?

Any help muchly appreciated.

2. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

How did you blow the battery Ben? :confused: Overcharge?

3. NickHammond121

NickHammond121 Engaging Member

and don't forget that rechargable AAs are only 1.2v not 1.5v so you'd need 10 for the 12v total

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  4. d900man

d900man Engaging Member

Yeah. Plugged the wrong charger in lol

5. genisis22

genisis22 Engaging Member

hi, as a thought for you, I use 3x14500 bats that are the same size as AA, but are 3.7 v 2200mah rechargeable protected cells, they are in a AA battery box with lid and switch on underside of unit, they are backed up by a 3/32 volt dc/dc voltage booster set to 12.5 volts [bats give 12.1 full charge] as the volts in bats drop the booster takes up the slack back up to 12.5v [ cam and screen units normally 12 v +- 10% so well within limit] this allows the bats to give power right down to the protected shut down without over discharge, for me works very well and is tiny and light weight
    couple of pics to show set up, a sparer set of three are carried just in case but havent had thee need to change them,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. snapperspike

snapperspike Engaging Member

Be interested in the details of the dc-dc booster please.

7. d900man

d900man Engaging Member

Any details of the voltage booster you could supply would be great.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  8. genisis22

genisis22 Engaging Member

hi chaps this is the one I use, which is variable output via little brass screw on top of blue box Needs soldering power in + - Then read output with multi metre untill desired v out is achieved, then solder in as usual
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LM2577-DC..._Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item1e7bd17faf, it is a very fine multi turn pot so it takes quite a lot of screwing, the theory behind this is that with a contant 12.5 volt the current draw is less, without reg ,as the voltage drops ,this is compensated for by more current,ie amps so batterys flatten in a ever increasing rate, it has been said on forum that set up,s will run on lower than 12v maybe as low as 8/10v, there is no free lunch the lower the volts below optimum the more current is used to replace it,
    PS, no heat sink was used as the volt changes are not huge

9. audiguypaul

audiguypaul Donator

Ive just made a pack from 3 x Panasonic 18650's 3400mah and a series holder from ebay, total about £30. Left it switched on and ran my camera and screen for over 12 hours. Ebay numbers 181311071822 and 281199951833.

atb Paul

View attachment 92994

10. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The 18650 cells are about double the capacity of the 14500 type, if you want to double it again the 26650 cells run at over 5000mah but they are starting to get a bit chunky! With these you only need 3 cells to get a nominal 12 volts but with AA you will need 10 which will take longer to charge unless you've got several chargers for them.
    Suitable RC model battery packs can be bought quite cheaply but do need a dedicated balance charger but even these aren't too expensive, the Hobby King UK warehouse has a good choice. These packs have different connectors (which fit the chargers) and for the output you would need to make up an adapter to connect to the cctv type power leads.

11. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

12. merjp

merjp Active Member

Just a couple of notes. Any of the above model battery packs will do the job. The ones highlighted are 11.1v which indicates that they are basically three 18650's in series. There should be no problem in using three good quality 18650's in series of equal capacity. In series the voltage out will only be maintained at nominal 11.1 until the lowest capacity battery exhausts and then your voltage will drop to less than 7v even though the other two may still have some charge remaining. That is why i highlight getting batteries of good quality and equal capacity. That has or should have been done with the model battery packs.
    I wouldn't recommend using 10 Nickle Metal Hydride batteries it is a lot more bulky, weighty and may drop to lower nominal output voltage than LiIon pack as it discharges.
    Using the DC to DC converter will deliver a constant 12v regulated but the price you pay is efficiency. The regulator is about 80% efficient so around 20% of battery energy is lost as heat in the regulator. If you have over capacity then it is a good solution.
    The only additional comment is that some of the model battery packs and good quality 18650's will have over voltage and discharge protection. Worth paying for as some of the cheap Chinese rubbish does not.

13. stoogey

stoogey Engaging Member

added as side info... nicads need to be balenced too. three 18650's seem to be about the narm today, theres various cages about fort them, try a search on ebay for pcp protected battery cage 18650.. im the real world, 2700 or there abouts is actualy acheivable in the buying department for nicads, in the 18650 type lithiums about 3300 is all you get top end, no matter how big and fancey surefire write 6 amp or 15amp..SURE FIRES ARE 1 AMP REFURBS.... if you actualy wat 4 amp cells, try soshine 4200mah 26650 cells..tried and tested. adding in series adds the volts, adding in parallel adds the capacities, but......after two cells in parallel you get less for three less for four etc, as in 2 amp cell plus 2 amp cell..pritty much a 4 amp pack. add three you get 5 amp not 6, varies from cell type to cell manufacturer. cells thyat are unbalenced can run for some time, and dont always exspode sooner or later..not always lol, most stop workingthough prematuraly because one cell is so far out it gets buggered up by the the other cells.(then after a bit it go bang..not always though.)

edit...capacity wise as a guestimate fore use, 1 amp capacity 800 mah use will get 1 hour, sort of less thaan a third more than a 1/4 less than stated on the label (or real figure on the hobby charger).

e.g. 3300 batteries often come in at 3000mah for 1 brand consistantly, or 2700mah nicads come in at 2400's as do the 2400's the 2500's the 2000mah 'pers lol, i.e. theyre all thame for some brands.. its pain sussing whoswe is what.

a note to making the packs DONT heat the cells up pre soldering...fffff nicads have vent holes, when they get hot they vent audabley, alas each venting although stopping it exspoiding in the case does shorten its life span, say 800 rechargeres fot 1/25'th C charge cycles 400 recharges for fast charge 5 amp.

back to the soldering, run the solder off a 70 watt or more ire iron, pretin the wires and use flux, fasten the pack in shape before you start and wire is just as good (6 amp stuff helps hold its pack shape).

reflo solders? dunno tbh, i bet theres some for it some where, but the second a nicad pack kicks out power they get hot (as in cant hold them hot, within their perameters though) i cant help thinking the reflo stuff may well just drip off..

not soldered any lithiums...theyre twitchy enough as it is lol, the bang is equivilent to about 3 shot gun catridges going off with no barrel arrond them, nicads, touch wood i havent had any go bang yet.

rechargge nicads from flat, the memery affect will and does kill a pack much sooner than later, metal hydrides have a few advantages but dont like too hi a release, and as hardy as advertised they dunarf suffer being to flat, e.g. 3 times over flat they die verses years later the nicad finaly dies after all that abuse lol.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014