1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

12 pounds per square foot

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Potshot, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Does anyone know how the powers that be came up with the 12ftlbs limit?
    What tests did they run?What factors were taken into consideration?
    It's one question thats always bugged me.
    pl help.

2. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

When they were counting to ten, the idiot man in charge got stuck at two.

' 1 ... 2 ... ' = 12.

12 ft/lbs.

3. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

4. nimrod

nimrod Well-Known Member

12flbs

I believe that the answer is all about keeping it smooth...gun makers found that at 12flbs airguns worked smoother and gave an acceptable amount of kick without going over the top and at 6flbs this was the max for an airpistol...the government at the time decided that these would be the levels and they were set in stone...now at the time, if the airgun manufacturers of the day had the skills that we now have with gun making the limits would have been much higher...it was set based on the best that they could do at the time and our government being the victorians that they are have refused to move forward and raise the limits, therby befitting the gun making excelence of today and making lots of us happier in the process.......unfortunately the gov thinks that if we get more power then we will all become urban warriers....

5. airgunengineer

airgunengineer Member

12 ft/lb

I remember when the limit was first introduced. At that time most airguns on the market were the British BSA or Webley springers or the USA Crosman or Sheridan pump up rifles. The British rifles had a max power of about 12ft/lb whereas the Pump ups could exceed that. I believe that there were some hooligan incidents with the USA guns and the limit was presumably set in consultation with the British airgun industry. Nuff said?:cool:

6. London177

London177 Member

Arrival at 12flbs

An interesting topic
    I cannot back this up with any evidence :rolleyes:
    BUT what often happens in the corridors of Westminster is that laws are shaped not by constituents like us but by lobby/pressure groups. It may well have been that at the time the UK manufacturers federation/association etc convinced MP's to fix it at 12ft/lb because that was what the majority of them made. By doing this they hope to keep out the foreign competition. British industry is littered with such nonsense. In the end they sacrificed better guns and more business for short term gain.
    In Germany back in the late 1980's their MEP's fought very hard to get an EU power limit on motorcycles set at 100BHP accepted across the board by all EU countries making it illegal to ride anything more powerful. Luckily for bikers all the European bike federations got together and lobby'd MEP's and MP's to reject it. That's a good example of lobby-pressure groups doing something good as they represented consumers and enthuiasts and not business.
    Oh and why did the Germans want the 100BHP limit on bikes?
    Because BMW couldn't get a 100 horses from their motors at the time and wanted to keep the Jap's out.
    You couldn't make it up....
    regards,
    Alan

7. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

100 horses

I'm buying a new bike soon, a Bandit 1200.
    They're 98 bhp:(.(probbably just for the German market)
    It wont be for very long:D

8. London177

London177 Member

BHP

Hello Potshot,
    I've owned several 1200 Bandits and dragged most of them :)
    For road use best to leave the top end of the revs alone as a naked bike will not get the best from the extra horses high up the rev' range. Better to get more grunt in the mid-range around 5K to 8K. Have a look at the Bandit forums for some advice. A simple mod' is to lose a tooth on the front sprocket :) Cheap and easy to do.
    Good luck :)

9. topcat

topcat Post Whore

12 fpe

it isnt 12 pound square foot it is 12 foot pound energy what this means isif you had one pound in weight to lift it of the ground 1 foot = 1 fpe to lift it 12 foot of the ground is 12 fpe

10. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

OK... T.C.

11. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

12ft/lbs

Thanks V.much Topcat,I've been into airguns all my life but everything I know is self-taught (even the basics).
    That's a real gem of info.
    Thanks again.PS

12. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Turbo chargers

Hi L177, I would eventually like to fit a twin turbo setup, but I can't find small enough turbo units only dirty great things like what some people bolt singley onto the Busa's etc.
    I'll probbably change the camshaft to begin with.
    Cheers. PS

13. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

12ft/lbs

Hi, Topcat, I've been giving what you said some thought.
    Imagine an object in space,with a MASS of 12lb and it is given a push with enough energy to move it 1 foot,is this what you meant?
    (I'm no physicist,I can barley spell it):D

14. topcat

topcat Post Whore

fpe

basically what i mean is a1 pound weight lets say it was hit with a hammer and the force moved the weight 12 inches 1 foot pound of energy was used to move it. 24 inches would require a stronger blow from the hammer producing 2 fpe every foot it moves after that is increased by 1 . if it moves 6 foot the energy required would be 6 fpe and so on

15. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

steps back in amazement !!

16. topcat

topcat Post Whore

fpe

do you fully understand that rockabilly or do you need a diagram l.o.l

17. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Thanks TC, I think we are along the same lines now!!:D

18. RICHIE612

RICHIE612 Engaging Member

A 12ft/lb springer is quite wild compared to a pcp, imagine a pcp with the kick of a 12ft/lb springer! how powerfull would that beast be? 200?300?ft/lb
    Like to shoot one of those bad boys.

19. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

The post you have just answered, is over a year old, the date and time is to the left of the post.

20. RICHIE612

RICHIE612 Engaging Member

So what, people read them dont you!