1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

12 ftlb limit

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by dr.tigger, Aug 4, 2014.

1. dr.tigger

dr.tigger Well-Known Member

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Yep,rifles from Germany and other countries could produce powers US British manufacturers at the time could only dream of so the limit gave the British makers more of a chance,not sure how well it worked though.

3. sej016

sej016 Donator

No convincing scientific or technical reason then :confused:

And just how many of those UK manufacturers in business at the time are still in business ?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  4. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Duper Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

so basically we have the limit cos in the 60's our gun makers were bloody useless at getting any power out of the guns

5. Alf Tupper

Alf Tupper Member

6. Lord Long

Lord Long Engaging Member

12 ft lb limit, it's a joke and pretty much un enforceable ( if you choose to ignore it )...

7. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I suspect that the 12ftlb limit might have come about through similar circumstances to the more recent anti-tamper on PCPs.

In the '60s your best British offerings were managing 10-11ftlb while Yankie pump-ups (Benjamins etc) were producing closer to 18-20ftlb; it wouldn't surprise me if the British manufacturers went to the Home Office expressing "concern" about the energy developed by some imports as a convenient way of excluding them from the market by the back door :rolleyes:

8. Alf Tupper

Alf Tupper Member

I do wonder myself how many rifles are out there over the 12 ft lb limit - especially since PCPs have changed the potential for illegal power outputs with just a little DIY gunsmithing. I am pretty sure that anyone who does modify their weapon to make it over the limit is going to take extra care to make sure the Police never clap eyes on them or their weapon, and I'd also guess that given the cost of the rifle plus the savvy need to do said gunsmithing, they won't be in the hands of muppets who'd shoot your cat for a laugh or put a window through. I hope.

I'm happy that there is a category for air weapons that allows people to shoot with no licensing other than by age, and that the grey area of tuned air rifles isn't a social problem because let's face it, this country is not over run by air gunners using home tuned Rapid 7s to shoot politicians or bring down jet liners. So out of sight and out of mind - and I don't mind that. may be it's not 'a joke' - maybe we have a working system? Possibly.

9. Lord Long

Lord Long Engaging Member

We do have a working system, a system that gives us a 12 ft lb limit, them almost forces gun makers to send out new guns doing only 10.5 ft lbs...just in case your particular pellet puts it over....

10. dr.tigger

dr.tigger Well-Known Member

I've got a new BSA r10. Chonod it at 11.5 ftlb with Bisly mags. Straight from the shop.

11. JSB888

JSB888 Keyboard Hero

Oh my ., I'm sure I just read a completely identical thread 2 mins ago. Déjà vu?

12. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

Are you still running hot!

Andrew

13. mrtho

mrtho Busy Member

It's a nonsensical piece of legislation the truth behind it largely lost in the mists of time.If the shooting community had a pair it could have been repealed decades ago!

14. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Purely out of interest, what are people's opinions on if / why 12fpe maximum power is a problem?

15. Alf Tupper

Alf Tupper Member

Well to follow up on Lord Long's last post, and a couple of others... The limit is actually not quite 12 ft lbs per se, as there was a test case in Court where someone based a defence on their weapon being 12.1 ft lbs therefore submitted that it was only a minor excess. The verdict was that the Home Office wanted air rifles set at about 10.5 ft lbs but drew the Big Line at 12 ft lbs to allow a bit of wriggle room for shooters. Over was deemed to be over, but this is why a manufacturer will make sure the rifle is not close to the legal limit as Lord L says.

I've got no problem with the current limit - from what I know in other west European countries, we're all pretty similar in what's allowed without a license, and I think we do rather well. France - 15 ft lbs, Czech republic 12 ft lbs, Poland 13 ft lbs, but Germany 6 ft lbs, Italy 5.5 ft lbs. Netherlands - no power limit but if it looks like a real gun it has to be licensed. (Weird but thanks wikipedia!). You can try to compare us to the USA if you want - but if you want their air rifle laws you can have their murder rate too. Canada is the opposite with a low limit as far as I can understand. So we're not at all out of step with the civilised world in my opinion; if you can find somewhere that has 40 ft lb limit, tell us where it is and whether you'd go and live there.

I really wonder if we'd have this conversation if PCPs hadn't evolved, as 12 ft lbs on springers seems to be a good compromise on cockability and shootability, with a practical pest control range of 25-30 yards, so all in all a very practical ceiling. I'm of the view the line was drawn more or less at the top end of air rifle performance in 1969. I'd love to know whether there is any truth in the "stop powerful foreign imports" story - but until I see more positive proof such as Hansard when the Bill was passed, I take that story with a good pinch of salt. It's a bit more like the 70mph speed limit was decided on as not many cars at the time could exceed it, but more cars were appearing that could, so a line was drawn.

Therefore I'm pretty ok about it - the limit has some common sense behind it; it's not a question of should there be a limit or we'd all get a Benjamin Rogue etc, but a question of where the limit should be drawn. There's thousands of happy gunners out there on 12 ft lbs - that's a pretty good argument to me that it's adequate at 12 ft lbs as a pest control weapon for small game, otherwise no one would be shooting them due to lack of power.

16. martin22

martin22 Donator

i say leave the limits as they are myself,those with a genuine interest make the most of them and have done for decades,develop the skills to use them sensibly and effectivly and thats part of the sport itself compared to powder burners.
    im sure the majority on here have families,kids and grandkids ect
    saw this on facebook earlier and ive seen many other posts along these lines on the various shooting groups on there,which to add i dont get involved in but do keep my eye out for any bargains for sale,start upping the power you start to up the appeal and i personally think that will start to attract more of the wrong'uns
    the picture says it all :facepalm:
    View attachment 100807

17. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

well put Alf Tupper :)

18. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I shoot rabbits at max of 42 yards because that's my extreme hunting range so having any more power would be a waste of air after all a miss is a miss whatever the power. Also could you imagine shooting a spring gun at 18 fpe? Bet it would kick like a mule.

19. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

Are you referring to the priest in the picture?
    Some permissions won't allow shooting especially Some equestrian centres. In which case if he's working with ferrets and nets then the priest is certainly less hassle and far safer than using the HW 45.
    Regards Stu.

20. martin22

martin22 Donator

In all the times I've been ferreting I've never used anything but my hands to neck the rabbits and I don't know anyone (and I know a quite a few ferreting lads) that walks round with hw45 and a priest to despatch them,do you do much ferreting? if so then you'll know how fast the rabbits start bolting,how fast you have to get the nets back on the holes,how awkward it would be with a hw45 and preist when your crawling under hedgerows and brambles to get to holes
    come on mate seriously,do you think they were intended for rabbiting?
    atb martin

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014