1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

10-metre Competition / Biathlon Rifle Question(s)...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by WesseH, Aug 18, 2020.

1. WesseH

WesseH Well-Known Member

Hi all,

TLDR: I am looking for
    1) Good search terms to filter specifically for 10-metre competition rifles (6 ft lb) (Including for use in this forum as I only found 1 thread on topic and that was advertising a Brocock Concept in 2012)
    2) Information on a selection of models I am considering so far
    3) Information on models I may want to consider but have not yet come across
    4) Anyone who may be willing to sell their 10-metre rifle (must be in good working order and may still take some time before I am actually ready to take you up on whatever offer you may have for me, hence not in "Wanted").

The long version:
    I have recently had a go with an Anschutz 9015 and a Walther LGM-1 owned by fellow members at our club and found the free-standing 10-metre discipline a thoroughly enjoyable experience. So, I am now considering getting myself a rifle as, of course, in keeping with the full metal jacket mantra, "this is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine". The only way to truly practice a shooting discipline starts with having one's own rifle, set up to personal preference.

However, while I have found several options in a great variety of price ranges, I am struggling not just to sift through the options but to figure out how to even filter for them.

So the first question I have is: what is the // is there a proper description / search term for a 6 ft lb 10-metre competition / biathlon rifle with front and rear (diopter?) sights?

Then: is there an absolute number one rifle to consider for this discipline in the price range of 'up to £1,000'?

3) Are there more 'dual power' options available, like the BSA Silver Star offers?
    And further to this option: The idea of having a 50-metre and a 10-metre rifle for the price of one seems quite appealing as a concept, but how much time and effort would end up going into swapping the diopter sights for a scope and being able to retain the zero on both those aiming mechanisms? (even when marking the rail for the placement of the sight and scope and keeping a dedicated scope and sights specific to that rifle, I would imagine swapping and changing would affect zero (even more so on the diopter sights due to the alignment between the 2 parts?

Other options below £1k that I have seen and might consider include the AA MPR Precision and the Hämmerli AR20 (although the latter seems to be out of stock everywhere?)

I like the Hämmerli because it seems to offer fairly similar (personalisation) features to the top end of the range, in terms of butt pad/cheek piece/hamster/etc adjustment, as well as a lothar walther barrel, which, I gather, is something of a hallmark of straight shooting. And all for about 30% of the price the top-end Feinwerkbau (X800), Walther (LG400), Steyr (Sport Challenge) and Anschutz (9015) setups... Which may then be why it seems to be out of stock everywhere...
    4) Am I right to believe the Hämmerli AR20 should be 'good enough' to compete with these top end rifles?

I've also seen a Brocock Concept posted about on here back in 2012, but can't really find anything about this as an option today.
    5) Is this discontinued? Or did it never get out of concept stage? Should I even consider it?

6) If there is not one absolute best rifle to go for in the sub-1k price bracket, can anyone recommend some other options either already mentioned or completely overlooked by me so far?

7) And, although I would only entertain very appealing offers and then still may not be ready to purchase just yet (which is why I'm not posting in the 'Wanted' section at this time), does anyone happen to have a 10-metre competition / 6 ft lb rifle in a good, working condition that could really use a new home where it will get the attention it deserves and get to come out on a road trip regularly, that they are willing to part with for a reasonable price?

Thanks for any help/insights!

Inca likes this.
  2. Troll man

Troll man Engaging Member

I have an old anschutz 250 and it is still stupidly accurate. Why not spend a bit less and look at some of the fwb offerings like the 300 and the 601 and the corresponding anschutz, Walther, Diana etc . To my knowledge there isn't a way to narrow the search so it's a case of trawling through.

WesseH likes this.
  3. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

The top end and well known makes are really out of your budget, new.
    Feinwerkbau, Steyr, Walther, Anschutz etc.

As above, I'd consider as an entry level rifle, one of the older models from the top makes.
    Not so long ago, they would have been winning Olympic gold medals with the FWB300S.

They're affordable, adjustable and as accurate as they always were. Yes they're spring powered but also recoilless.
    They hold their money well, should you decide to upgrade in future, so a pretty sound investment.

There are single stroke pneumatics from the top makes, which superceded the springers, but these fetch strong money

The Silver Star is a newcomer and as such a bit untested. New cost is near enough you budget.

For a starting point on here, I'd search Feinwerkbau 300s. Plenty own them on here as they're popular rifles and there's plenty written about them.

One or two currently in the sales section too.

WesseH likes this.
  4. Inca

Inca Keyboard Hero

Great question WesseH, exactly the same going through my mind at the moment. 6/10 mtr target pistol is currently my preferred discipline and I’ve that squared away equipment wise, LP10 and glasses. A rifle is high on the list of things to try. Keep us inform on how you get on please.

WesseH likes this.
  5. Troll man

Troll man Engaging Member

As a side note if you are going to try it seriously then get some tuition too as technique is the biggest factor and some one getting you the basics right is more important than the gun. I would use some of your budget on that

Inca likes this.
  6. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Big Poster

Ask around the club .
    See what the top shots are using ,and ask them why .
    Try to get a go if you can , but bear in mind the rifle will be set up to fit the owner and may not fit you .

Re. searching ......
    Maybe Used 7.5j versions of

fwb p70 ..........bit heavy
    walther lg300
    steyr lg 100 /110

walther or fwb ssp rifles

fwb 300
    Original / diana 75
    anschutz 250

a decent example of any of these should be more than capable and available within budget .

FWIW.
    I'd go Lg 300 or Steyr all day long .

Troll man likes this.
  7. WesseH

WesseH Well-Known Member

Steyr do make some fine equipment, but it is not a make I would soon consider, at least not 'bought new'. Second hand, their older models may well make the list as 'fit for budget' however.
    For 10-metre pistols, I am happy with the Twinmaster I have, the red dot sight on it has proven without doubt that the achieved shooting results are entirely down to the person on the trigger, so I will be looking to use that at the 10 metre range (on the iron sights for competition (practice) purposes, of course).

In order of quoted statements:
    The FWB300s is a much appreciated suggestion, a quick search showed a very acceptable price even from an RFD, of course, challenge 2 then becomes finding one within acceptable driving distance!
    This does show, apart from it being so difficult to filter to this style of rifle, it is even more difficult just to find models that are no longer sold 'as new' as Google so strongly favours the more popular/permanent RFD pages over the one-off adverts on private trade/sales/used websites.

Clearly I was wrong about the Anschutz I tried, by the way. It was an Anschutz but not a 9015.
    Both the rifles I tried were SSP which, If anything, may be preferable for me as my property would allow me to set up a 10-metre range but I don't see myself investing in a compressor, stirrup pump, or 'diving' bottle to refill a PCP!

As for the Silver Star being 'near enough within my budget', I've seen a new Silver Star with a 6 ft lb and a 12 ft lb bottle, from a reputable RFD, for less than £700, which is what made me consider it. The 2nd bottle option adds £120 to it, so less than £600 as a new 10-metre rifle (sights included).
    Are there additional costs to be considered that make you say 'near enough my budget'? Or is there a 'better version' you may be looking at?
    I ask only because 'less than 70% of proposed budget' seems 'well within' to me?

My initial intention is to have a 10-metre pistol and a 10-metre rifle so that the misses and I can spend a session side by side in the 10-metre range practising 10-metre disciplines without immediately doubling up on guns for the same discipline.
    Committing to tutoring is something I would hold off on until I figure out if I just enjoy a little friendly club competition or if I really feel drawn to this discipline at a competitive level. (Similarly, I would of course get 'my own' (or both of us 'our own') rifle if I/we'd consider competing at a higher level, to avoid constant adjusting between 2 setups.

So, in that sense, I suppose the proposed budget was mainly for lack of knowledge / looking at lower end new rifles I had found.
    Now seeing FWB300s and Walther LGR offered by RFD for 'only' £400, I suppose it is becoming unlikely I will spend more than £500 on the initial rifle.

@hmangphilly thank you for the comprehensive list of options! I have some more Googling to do!

I am beginning to get an idea of the available makes and models and will be making myself a list of all the options suggested here.
    Please keep the suggestions coming and/or weigh in on the suggestions already offered.

hmangphilly likes this.
  8. Inca

Inca Keyboard Hero

Buying Steyr new is well beyond what I would be comfortable doing but high end 'stuff' seems to be well looked after (at least that’s what I told myself) so second hand gives you quality kit at affordable prices. And at the other end of your relationship with it you'll recoup most of what you originally paid when time comes to sell.

WesseH likes this.
  9. pjgtech

pjgtech I shoot, therefore I aim......

No-one mentioned the Air Arms s200 yet? you can get diopters for it and a mag conversion kit if you want multi shot.... :up: would seem to be a good starter rifle?

Troll man and WesseH like this.
  10. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

The near budget comment was factoring in that you may need charging equipment.
    Also worth bearing in mind that the SS is supplied in 2 formats:
    6ftlbs with Target sights
    12 ftlbs with no target sights.
    As it has the ability to change power by simply swapping cylinders, you may need to figure another cylinder into the equation.

SSP will have a similar report on firing, as a PCP as they deliver the stored air in the same manner. As such, if using in a domestic garden, you may have to consider a silencer. This also applies to the silver star.
    The recoilless springers like the 300s, don't need silencers as they are relatively quiet on firing, though have some mechanical noise that PCP's and SSP's don't have.

Another point on the 300 range, is that service parts are still made and available.

RFD's will usually charge top money. Used private sales are where the better value deals are to be had.

WesseH likes this.
  11. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

And there is indeed a T version of the S200.

pjgtech likes this.