1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

£199 for a pcp Crosman Benjamin Discovery

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Andy, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

2. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Looks interesting, but the quoted 900 ft/sec in .22, if correct, would be well over the legal limit for the UK.

3. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Thats on the US site, they will be UK spec and tamper proof on this side of the pond. :eek:

4. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

heard a bit about this on review center, they have a few across the pond members and they are aparently quite popular:)

personally i like the idea.

5. Leeman

Leeman Busy Member

They are pretty good for what you are paying BUT like all American airguns, they need a lot of work to be improved, so this means they will cost a little more from what you purchase it.

6. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

You get what you pay for :shrug: yes it's cheap but it's a Crosman! I doubt the seals will last five minutes, you'll be needing to take it apart replacing parts in no time.

However I do like the PCP or CO2 idea, that's clever :D

7. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

well you do have to start some where coggy;)

wont be long till other makes start using this sort of tactic.

also the you get what you pay for thing is slowly going out of fasion.
    cheap materials and labour can reduce cost.

however i think its still safe to go with the old saying.

i think its a great idea.
    especially for kids or people that get those fads:eek:

like mentioned before people with back pain and so on may have a low budget but need a PCP. this will sell well i reckon

8. DKOwen

DKOwen Member

You're sure to like it.....

IMO you're sure to like it if you give it half a chance. I've only had mine six months or so (whenever they first came out), but it has yet to fail to impress those who've seen and shot it. Straight out of the box.

Mind you, it's at a very different price point here in the US. It costs us about that many dollars, half your price. Guess you chaps tax it a mite?

It also has strong nostalgic value to many, being very much like the Benjamin and Sheridan pump ups. Same walnut stock, same basic feel.

For sure power will be an issue unless your a FAC. Mine does 20 FPE with the 16 grain JSB Exacts, with a fill of 2000 PSI (or a mite less to avoid a slow shot or two at the start of the string), for 20 shots within a couple dozen fps IIRC. I have a low end Tasco variable set to 8 on it and at this point over a dozen airgunners have been able to shoot half inch groups at 25 yards within a dozen shots.

The trigger is what the lawyers set it to, a bit under four pounds IIRC. Suitable for hunting, which was it's intended use (haven't managed to take it along yet....), but it turns out still fairly useful on the bench. Could be better, of course, but I'm satisfied. There are 'shade tree mechanic' level instructions for adding screws in obvious places to reduce engagement and overtravel....if that's your sort of stuff. I'll stick with what the factory sent this time.

Performance on CO2 will be less, more so when it's cold. The gauge has two scales. IIRC I got something like 12 fpe on gas. There's a threaded hole in the back of the tube where a long screw can depress the hammer onto the valve to drain the charge for switching gasses or some services I would guess. I honestly don't understand why folks should fear the quality. This gun seems to draw heavily on the Benjamin tradition, I suspect the Discovery will be very long lived and rugged as well. Not to say you should give it to a teenager, along with a bucket of pellets and expect it to survive. Easy to service and tinker with (not that I'm inclined to either at this point).

The power issue would no doubt cause underspringing and a different sort of tune. Some guys go for variable power by cobbling up a spring guide for the hammer with a solid center, removing a bit of the spring or changing it to a softer one, and threading a screw into the tapped hole on the end to change hammer preload. I've never done this, but I understand it changes things a lot. Getting a nice flat top (hopefully just under 12 fpe) would no doubt call for some valve and perhaps fill pressure changes. And then CO2 would probably delive more like 6 or 8 fpe (maybe a bit more if the tune called for lower fill pressures?).

Again, I'm sure you'll like it if you're in the mood for what it is. Sorry it's priced like something different, it shouldn't be IMO. FWIW, I understand that other EU guys pay $550US.....doesn't that make you feel better?

Doug Owen

9. FXpoacher

FXpoacher Engaging Member

They sold well here in Sweden as well. But most who bought them wanted a cheap "project" rifle.
    Build quality is.......cheap, but they perform well.
    This was aimed at beginers to PCP, and for that price incl pump, well you have to make allowances.

10. dezyboy

dezyboy Active Member

It is clever but not practical , I don't want to have to adjust my sights half way through a shoot , as when on co2 the gun fires on less power

Also I don't think the UK version comes with pump ... if it did I would buy one sell the pump and have a cheap backup rifle ... even though I don't have a main rifle atm :(

11. DKOwen

DKOwen Member

I still don't see a problem......

I'm not sure I follow, no doubt a result of our common language, but I still believe if you actually give the rifle a try rather than guess you'll be impressed. In the case above sure shifting 'fuels' means a different performance but if you don't I think you'll find it does quite well. With a modest 2000 psi fill, mine delivers 20 very solid 20 fpe shots all within a 17 fps window (777 to 784 to 778 using 16 grain JSBs), ending at 1000 psi. How do similar guns threre perform? On CO2 they deliver twice to three times that many shots at 12 fpe (also extremely stable). "The A Team" has even won a couple FT matches with their (trigger modified and restocked) Discovery.

Yes, you'd need to turn the power down to comply with the 12 fpe rule there, but that would deliver 35 or 40 shots. What do you conside practical? If fits the bill here.

Are we, perhaps, up against a NIH issue?

While I haven't hunted with mine (I use other guns), a friend borrowed it for a ground squirrel hunt. I watched an 85 yard hit one day, and a 115 yard one the next. Marc is a good shot (of course) but one needs a good rifle to do that kind of shooting. IMO not bad for a $200 rifle with a $50 scope. And a borrowed gun (two days at the range first) to boot.

As to coming with a pump or not, given the US price is about $200 and the UK price is the same number of pounds, considering the somewhat large protective tarrif there, I strongly doubt it does.

Not real pretty to some, it is a feature packed rugged gun delivering very good performance at a modest cost. Or at least has proven so here.

Everyone is waiting on the new Marauder right now, of course. It offers to add the features American shooters are looking for (quiet from the factory, mag fed repeater) along with a more traditonal stock at what is still felt to be 'a fair price' here.

Doug Owen

12. simply james

simply james Banned

cheap but cheerefull not my type of gun

13. dezyboy

dezyboy Active Member

don't get me wrong , the gun as a pcp sounds a bargain in the US and if I lived there I would have one.

all I was saying is in the UK it is sold without a pump for about £230 so not the jaw dropping bargain it is in the US .. still flaming cheap and worth considering .. although too close in price (UK) to the AA s200 (£310) to be considered by me. Still if they do start selling with pump at those prices I will buy one.

The dual fuel "for me " is not practical.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009