Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Logun S16s .22 "The Sweetest Sixteen"

Registered 40+ posts

Logun S16s .22 "The Sweetest Sixteen"

Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking........................bugger that. I'm hoping that the following ramble is read by someone looking to buy an airgun and after reading this they give a 16s a go to discover what a brill gun it is.

I first came across a Logun S16 Mk1 and fell in love with it. It belonged to a friend who had never owned an airgun before. On a visit to see him he bought the gun out to show it off to me, he couldn't show it off too well because he'd blocked the barrel by, as I thought, double loading it.

I was quite taken with the "military" look of the gun. Long sleek and black, it reminded me of my days with a 7.62 SLR, well, just a little.

Compared to just about any other airgun, I've come into contact with, this gun seemed heavy despite its sleek looks. There wasn't much I could do to have a play because in addition to blocking the barrel he'd managed to lock the magazine into place and the cocking bolt was frozen into place.

After a couple of weeks and two visits to Logun, the first costing 90 and the second 45 (yes he blocked the thing again) I went to visit him again. I asked for a look at the gun and guess what? Yup, it was blocked.

I took the gun home with me to have a go at fixing it for him (and to get my hands on it for a while). Being a 16 novice myself I did completely the wrong thing. Firstly I forced the magazine out (a half loaded pellet was sticking out from the breech and holding it in place) and then I used a barrel cleaning rod inserted in the muzzle to tap out the offending pellet or I should say to bash out the FOUR offending pellets. Lucky for me the breech seal remained in place.
    I had the gun for at least two months.

The S16 Mk1 is a teriffic gun. Firm handling when loading is the answer to the blocking problem, better to say that there is no blocking problem, its a user problem.
    My own garden range is 26.5 yards and the Mk1 was pellet on pellet at that range.
    Two months was taking the mick I suppose but like I said, I'd fell in love with this gun.
    It was a sad day when I handed it back.

I resolved to source a Mk1 for my own but they'd been out of production for so long I found it impossible to find one. In the end I ordered an S16s.

I eagerly opened the box of my newly delivered S16s, as I revealed the gun I took a step back and thought "what an ugly biatch!", gone were the sleek looks, the slim barrel with its neat silencer had been replaced by a squat fat shroud. I screwed the full length shroud on which lessened the squat look. It took all of five minutes to fall in love again.

The 16s had been improved and the improvements were both obvious and neccessary.

The bottle, which acts as a stock remained the same with its rubber cover but as there were earlier issues with air loss the bottle seal had been moved from the bottle itself to the reception on the rear of the gun.

Still at the rear, and easily checkable, the air reservoir indicator was changed from a simple tri colour affair to a readable gauge with readings in bar and psi.
    Moving forward the aluminium cocking bolt has been replaced with a steel bolt. The two stage trigger has said to have been improved but this is one area that could still do with improvement. A trip to Logun for the assembly to be highly polished will result in a crisper trigger release, however the stock part is very useable in the field, the improvement would only become evident when target shooting.
    The cycling action on the magazine is as excellent as the Mk1 and used correctly delivers eight pellets very quickly into the breech.
    One more improvement would be to make the safety an automatic job but not as yet has it been done, even on the EVO.
    The magazine itself remains the same and needs to be kept lubed which, in turn, lubes the breech. I fell foul to lack of lube myself and encountered a loading problem. I live about an hour from Logun so I took the gun up to them and they put it right for me as I waited. More about the Logun boys at the end of my review.

A huge improvement is the forestock. The Mk1 has a small forestock in the middle of which is an enourmous bolt which takes the bi-pod. The bolt is smack where you want to grip the gun when firing and causes discomfort, in fact its a real pain. The "S" now has a lengthened forestock and a standard QD stud mounted well toward the front which leave plenty of room to grip, even with a bi-pod fitted. The front of the forestock on both models has the aperture for mounting a laser.

The last improvement is the shrouded barrel. The full shroud is 10.5 inches in length but comes in sections. The first six inches covers the barrel itself and the remaining 4.5 inches is made up of two sections, one of 3.5 inches and one of 1 inch. The 3.5 inch section can be removed to make the shroud shorter but the difference in noise is evident. With the full shroud intact the noise is almost inaudible. How the shroud works is an enigma to me but I do know the gun goes off like a howitzer without any shroud in place.
    The difference between the Mk1 barrel and silencer and the shroud can be felt mostly in the field. I found I could traverse the gun in the firing position and stop dead when my crosshairs found a target, the Mk1 tended to carry on past the point I wanted to stop and I had to come back to the target due to the weight of the silencer. The difference sounds nothing but has to be experienced to feel just how different. I should imagine this is the same for any shrouded or bull barrel when put up against a barrel and silencer.

Both models perform much the same but the "S" has been made better for use. I use mine for both hunting and target and can hold my own in both disciplines.

A word about Logun. Simon and Martin are great guys and in my case were happy to sort out my problems, they went so far to sort a friends air leak problems on his Mk11 Professional and refused to charge him.
    Logun, top company.

There's my review, I hope someone finds some use from it.
    Sayeret Rimon re-kindled, re-born

cracking read that mate ive had a s16s my self to be honest ive got one for sle if any your friends want one give me a shout it has the lot .i must admit ive not used it for over 2 months just sits in garage gaining dust i first thought same ugly gun but out hunting spot on
    ONE SHOT ONE KILL ONLY MUPPET'S NEED A SECOND GO

Smile

spot on with the review mate

i did exactly the same thing with the loading, i ended up getting a long brass rod and using a diamond needle file, i cut a coarse thread (same as a woodscrew), i managed to extract all the pellets and all was fine (made sure i closed the bolt uber firmly!!)
    i bought the rifle second hand and it was leaking from when i bought it (i wasn't told about it and as i've worked in a heavy foundry for over thirty years, i'm quiet deaf so i didn't hear the leak)

anyhow for the last year it's spent all of it's time languishing in it's slip

i must get get around to having it repaired (along with my poorly career 707-2 which is leaking too)

must agree with you regarding the s-16 accuracy, one hole groups at thirty five yards from a rest when i took it to work

john

Registered 40+ posts smallholder1's Avatar
    good post,i have an early s16 had problems to start loseing power returned twice to logun first time sent me a new gun next time reset power setting,if you cycle the gun positively you do not get jams,very accurate out to 60 yards useing accupells.

Registered 40+ posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    spot on with the review mate

i did exactly the same thing with the loading, i ended up getting a long brass rod and using a diamond needle file, i cut a coarse thread (same as a woodscrew), i managed to extract all the pellets and all was fine (made sure i closed the bolt uber firmly!!)
    i bought the rifle second hand and it was leaking from when i bought it (i wasn't told about it and as i've worked in a heavy foundry for over thirty years, i'm quiet deaf so i didn't hear the leak)

anyhow for the last year it's spent all of it's time languishing in it's slip

i must get get around to having it repaired (along with my poorly career 707-2 which is leaking too)

must agree with you regarding the s-16 accuracy, one hole groups at thirty five yards from a rest when i took it to work

john
    If you get the breech blocked again, don't be tempted to push the blocked pellet out from the muzzle. Remove the foregrip and the scope rail, this will reveal the bar that enables you to cycle the mag, take the bar out (noting which end goes where) and the barrel will pull out. You can now push the blocked pellet from the breech end toward the muzzle thus saving the breech seal.
    The job isn't too difficult at all and can be done in just a few minutes.

Lubing the magazine will automatically lube the breech and help toward trouble free loading.

i bought a s16 from this site good gun, hey dodge are you ex army? i dont reconise that cap badge (if it is one)

No longer active
    excellent review I have mine for sale on here love the rifle old hand injury forces sale struggling with weight. Brilliant gun - clinical as anything I have ever shot and silient. Its a mans gun!! Not for the faint hearted!! Or a wimp!! lol

Registered 40+ posts andyhawkx3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper1 View Post
    i bought a s16 from this site good gun, hey dodge are you ex army? i don't recognise that cap badge (if it is one)
    Googled it, hope I am not stepping out of line Dodge.

War of Attrition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Registered 40+ posts
    Mines a beauty to shoot but rubbish on power with nothing on the net for strip down and tune info, apart from the hammer spring packing out (which does little).

Registered 40+ posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhawkx3 View Post
    Googled it, hope I am not stepping out of line Dodge.

War of Attrition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not at all Mucker