Thread: Artemis M16 PCP.

Artemis M16 PCP.

Hello everyone,

(For some reason the pictures aren't working I'll upload some new ones tomorrow sorry everyone).

I've recently come across a few Artemis M16 rifles and although I'm a springer man at heart I thought I'd maybe write a review on one to help anyone who might be on the edge as to whether to take the plunge. Or to give a little insight to those who've never seen on heard of the M16. So without further ado here we go.

IMG_20180112_152049.jpg

Starting with the looks I personally think it's a very attractive rifle (for a PCP) with a rather nice bead blasted barrel/shroud and air reservoir, I like the extra chrome strip that connects the barrel to the action as well. Sure it's not particularly necessary but it adds a little bit of flair in my opinion.

The beech stock is also very well done with a lovely raised cheekpeice and a nicely sculpted grip, I'm also very pleased to report that the checkering is vastly superior to my previous M22's checkering which was nice but a little bit shallow. Another nice feature is that the M16 comes with a removable silencer and of course a threaded barrel along with a full set of spare seals and allen keys.

IMG_20180112_152106.jpg

IMG_20180112_152143.jpg

The chrome sidelever is also a nice touch and I love the way that the trigger guard is flush with the stock, I know it might sound cheesy but it gives the rifle a certain elegance.

Now for performance!

Just a quick few notes here.. I didn't get to fully test the rifle today because a certain family member had stolen the air bottle. So I only had half a tank of air to play with. Plus all shots were taken sitting down and not rested with me sitting on what could barely be considered a chair.. So lets crack on with it then!

I originally roughly zeroed the rifle at about 15 yards so it would leave a grouping on the target at 28 yards. The pellets I tested were Remington's Tyrant "hammer" pellets, JSB Exact 4.52's and the Remington Thunder Baracuda's.

First up are the Tyrant Hammers, they may be the cheapest pellet on test but in my experience they seem to be pretty well made and they group pretty well in my 97kt and XS19. Well... I didn't entirely get that result today, The M16 spat them all over the place so with a limited amount of air to play with I decided to move on pretty quickly.

Next were the JSB Exacts. I don't think I really need to give a description for these as we all know they're top notch. Well here they were pretty good too!

IMG_20180112_152419_1.jpg

This picture has come out sideways for some reason... Anyways in its original position (shots to the right not below) the JSB's grouped pretty well! You can see where the pellets were touching and me then afterwards adjusting the zero a few clicks left. My last pellet in the mag went just left of the bull but with limited air I thought it was time to change to the Baracuda's.

IMG_20180112_152446.jpg

IMG_20180112_152516.jpg

We have a winner. To be fair I had a feeling that the heavier Baracuda's would group well as my M22 seemed to like the heavier pellets. But I'm really impressed with that! Especially considering that the barrel at this point will be anything but leaded in and it's being shot from an unrested (and seriously uncomfortable) position.

When it comes to the actual characteristics of the rifle when shooting I found the M16 to be nicely balanced and pretty light considering that it's a full sized rifle. When looking at the spec it's quoted as being 5.5lbs unscoped which seems to be pretty accurate to me.

I left the trigger completely as it left the factory and it was very sweet. Zero creep at all and light, you could feel the second stage engage and you can feel when the rifle was going to fire. The blade itself is very reminiscent of my 97's blade with crafted grooves running from the top to the bottom.

The magazine is a 13 shot self indexing mag that is easy to use but like my M22's magazine you need a small tool like an allen key to make sure that the pellets are seated correctly otherwise the magazine will jam or damage the pellet's skirt. When correctly seated though the magazine cycled perfectly and the sidelever is silky smooth to use.

The safety is also nice but again has a slight issue..
    IMG_20180112_152214.jpg

It's very similar to the Air Arms safety's and it works perfectly well but there is a minor gripe. Every now and again the safety grazes the top of the trigger guard and it re-engages the safety. To be fair it could just be me being a bit too forceful with turning the safety off and pushing the bar a bit too far but I thought it was definitely worth mentioning.

Back to the positives however I had 65 shots earlier and the pressure gauge went from exactly half way full to just still clinging onto the green with about 20% pressure still remaining, until I get the bottle back (GRRR) I can't test its full shot count. But it is advertised as being capable of 140 full power shots.

The SRP on the M16 is around 500 which puts it into a different class than the M22 (I gave 340 for mine) but at the same time it does feel like a much more refined rifle. If anyone is looking for a new PCP that isn't stupid money it's worth your time asking to look at an M16, it's an extremely well built rifle that gave me easy accuracy. Plus it's worth that price tag so you can tell people that you own an M16.
    Last edited by dancza; 12-01-2018 at 23:14 PM.
    Big Dan.

Registered 40+ posts
    nice review and thanks for sharing, seems a nice entry level pcp pricewise and look forward to further testing out to 30m

Quote Originally Posted by evenbad View Post
    nice review and thanks for sharing, seems a nice entry level pcp pricewise and look forward to further testing out to 30m
    Thanks Evan yeah I plan on testing it out to 40 yards when I get the bottle back and testing the shot count and regulator over the chrono.
    Big Dan.