Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Threatened whilst hunting

I must not use the word pants Farty's Avatar
    I would carry on shooting and inform the police that you are,
    it isn't as painful as you would think they are very pleasant to you well they where to me the few times I've phoned them.
    And make some night vision then no one can see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oat View Post
    What actions would you now take?
    On my farm permission last night, and was threatened by a guy who lives bordering the fields I shoot on. The threat was that if he ever sees me again he will knock me out (several expletives thrown in too). Of note is that I am very placid character, and being the person holding the firearm I am very aware how important being placid is, for all these reason I made no counter comment to his threat. I walked off the field, and had not taken any shots on it.

I was working the far margin of the arable field with my air rifle, as I have done for the past 2 years. I was on the opposite side to the field from his house, I never walk or hunt on or near boundary of his property and the farm.

I assume he saw my red torch which I use to quickly scan for rabbits at a distance before then stalking in with NV. I am also very conscious on where the red light points, never shining it at or near any building (the red torch being handheld).
    The guy in question is known to the farmer, he used to shoot for the farmer until they fell out when he threatened to shoot the farmers dogs.

I told the farmer of the approach I had received. The farmer also had a message of ‘extreme disapproval’ (add some attitude in to that) from the other chap.
    The farmer was fully supportive to me, he expressed how much he values me shooting on his land and said “I hope this won’t stop you shooting for me?”; and I don’t want to stop.

I now have concern that I have been threatened by a guy who I know has a short fuse and a firearms licence.

I’m undecided on how to move forward. What actions would you now take? (without making assumptions and based on the info i have given)
    go back one day without the gun and give him a good smack.

Quote Originally Posted by shauny View Post
    go back one day without the gun and give him a good smack.
    That makes me worse than him.

I've come across plenty of gobs****s like him. There's 2 types of people. Say'ers, and do'ers. Usually the ones that will give you a pasting will do it without warning. The others just blow hot air. I'm not the placid kind and would've told him to f*** off. However, if it has bothered you report his threat.
    Asking stupid questions, so you don't have to.

AA S400F Classic .177 Hawke Advantage 3-12x50.

Quote Originally Posted by Oat View Post
    That makes me worse than him.
    yeah, but you will feel better after!

Registered 40+ posts

Threatened whilst hunting

Oat, he needs reporting plain and simple, I understand it could cause problems for you with him living close, but that kind of behaviour cannot be tolerated, especially from a gun owner. He has absolutely no right to speak to you like that, you can report the incident on 101 and tell the police you don't want any action taking, but they need making aware of the incident as does your local FEO.
    Last edited by 828u; 17-02-2017 at 22:16 PM.

It's a terrible thing when you're afraid to go on your own land because of either poachers or arse wipes like this, especially if there are FAC tickets involved and such. When someone reports you it's much easier to deal with and you can always revert to your permission papers but this guy lives down the street from the OP and is physically threatening him. It's your word against his too after you report him and you can bet your last dollar he'll deny threatening you in the first place as not to threaten his own FAC status.
    Had a think about this for a possible solution without causing too much of a sh*t storm and perhaps you could try this. Talk to the farmer and ask him if he'll be so kind as to go knock on the guys door with you and explain a few things such as you having permission. The guy might have mistook you for a poacher and it might be the response he gives all poachers (who he believes are poachers). If this doesn't work and you can't have a cup of tea and talk about it then choose your next step.
    Last edited by nav2009; 17-02-2017 at 22:19 PM.

Twll tin i chi gyd Jackroadkill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Darling View Post
    Can I ask this?

if your are a law abiding fac holder does that mean you can't say boo to a goose ever again,

even in defence?
    No, it just means that you should balance up how much your ticket means to you before acting like a complete cock womble.

Registered 40+ posts
    I would just notify the old bill.
    He wants a reaction. Been here myself and trust me the old bill won't like it and neither will he.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

South Devon where the cream goes on first!
    This sounds so much like an incident I had whilst shooting on my farm. I was verbally assaulted by Mrs Hyacinth Bucket . Oat your response was the same as mine politely walking away being very aware of ' I'm the one holding the gun' therefore I am on the back foot by default . She wanted to ring the police I must add... I did offer my phone

I spoke to my farmer, he said she had no right to be on his land and just ignor her. Then I spoke to my police officer freind. He would vouch for me if plod were involved for some bizzare reason.

Oat , your chap is a little different to my Mrs Bucket. Mmm thinking about this?? I'd have a word with my local police officer perhaps. Making them aware of the situation and you are prepared to avoid any conflict verbal or otherwise. You just want to do your job of pest control un-molested.

Saying all this is fine.. But involving the police is a pain.. If he is an FAC holder they may feel obliged to visit him. Then the situation could be resolved...or escalate ?? Tough one.

I dont shoot the field near Mrs Buckets place...there aren't many bunnies there... So I'm let off this kind of situation.

Yep thinking on it contact the police make them aware, you say the idiot has approached your farmer as well ...he has no business doing that. ****. :/
    "He's got the hang of standing and shooting..he's just got to put the two together"