Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet Cartridges - Problems

Pellet Cartridges - Problems

Has anybody experienced problems with these? I recently acquired a Umarex CO2 Peacemaker and a Dan Wesson CO2 2.5" both firing .177 pellets through rifled barrels. The pellet for the Peacemaker is inserted in a small bush at the base of the cartridge and the Dan Wesson loads by undcrewing a cap and inserting a pellet in the top of the cartridge.

About 1 in every 3 firings for each pistol results in a cartridge that either fails to fire or with a pellet stuck on the barrel. I have used a constant supply of fresh CO2 so power is not a problem. I can't rule out periodic valve failure but surely not with both pistols? I have gently reamed out the bushes in all cartridges which improved things a lot but not 100%. This is very frustrating as you can imagine.

It seems as if the cartridge system for CO2 pistols involves a large air gap somewhere. The Dan Wesson will have a gap about an inch long between the valve and actual pellet which lies at the top,of the cartridge. The Peacemaker is slightly different as the valve is adjacent to the pellet at the bottom of the cartridge, but with a similar gap between the pellet and the barrel. Perhaps this is just an inbuilt problem with cartridge/pellet systems that I just have to put up with.

I would be interested if it's just me and my pistols, or whether anybody has had similar experiences. I'm at work for the rest of the day so apologies if I don't acknowledge any comments until later.
    Feinwerkbau 300s .177 target rifle with diopter sights.
    Air Arms S200 Mk3 .22 with dioptre and scope sights.

'It's far better to beg forgiveness than seek permission.

I'm not 100% savvy on these guns but I suppose there's a seal between the rear of the cylinder & Co2 transfer port, that could be dodgy & loosing you pressure?

Viewed a Dan wesson last night, bloke said the pellets load from the base of the cartridge!

Thanks rich79. There are seals present in both pistols and a bit of lube might be in order as I've been told they can dry out in storage before sale. Interesting you say the pellets load from the base on the Dan Wesson you viewed. Maybe the owner has adapted Umarex shells where the pellet is inserted from the base? My shells definitely involve a more fiddly system of unscrewing the top,of the cartridge and inserting the pellets into a holding bush.

Both pistols are beautifully made and handle well. I don't want to give up on tnem just yet. I just wondered if anyone has had similar problems and what fettling has been needed.

Cheers, David

I'm sure I've read somewhere they changed the loading position at some point, original ones were pita to load with unscrewing cap everytime, it put me off buying one. I think later ones load from rear

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.lewis View Post
    I'm sure I've read somewhere they changed the loading position at some point, original ones were pita to load with unscrewing cap everytime, it put me off buying one. I think later ones load from rear
    Yes they are! I'll look further into that one - thanks.

Yeah I was told they now go in the back, people were having problems with the cartridges that load from the front & taking them back but shops can't get hold of spare cartridges, they're opening pistol boxes & taking the 6 supplied out to replace defective ones! Its putting me off buying one as if I order spares off the Web will I get the old dodgy ones or new ones?

Black Country Jedi Wayne Dunstan's Avatar
    Not surprised there having problems when umarex released the peacemaker non pellet they said they had tried pellets and there were less accurate and less reliable. Now people want pellets so they change the cartridge and barrel. I'll stick with my non pellet versions work perfectly and accurate enough for plinking.
    The force is strong in this one.

Registered 40+ posts oedbachgen's Avatar
    I'm with you on this Wayne, I'l stick with my bb peacemaker, their not a accurate gun to fire even in pellet version.
    I can hit em, I can miss em

Did a bit of googling this morning and found that Dan Wesson now produce a hottom loading cartridge to fit the 715 range of pellet pistols. There was a difference of opinion on compatibility with the the 2.5" pellet version but quite a few dealers had them in stock. Anyway I took a quick trip to the Cheshire Gun Room in Stockport and bought 12 of the 715 cartridges with their proviso that they might not fit.

Result! Not only full reliability (18 consecutive firings) but they also fit the Umarex Peacemaker as well. I Agree that the BB version is less problematic but my back garden is completely open to view and not suitable for shooting. That leaves my local club who do not allow *** on the ranges, thus the need for pellets only.

Thanks for all the good advice.
    Last edited by david3392; 11-01-2017 at 22:10 PM.