Thread: Browning Phoenix Elite .177 Review

Registered 40+ posts
    Post Thanks / Like

Browning Phoenix Elite .177 Review

I have the Browning Phoenix Elite in .177 caliber, and since I cant find any information on it because it is a new model, I thought I would write a short review of the rifle for anyone who is interested.

I am new to the air rifle scene, but I have been around firearms my whole life and own 3, so hopefully the review wont be to bad

The Browning comes in 3 models, the Phoenix, Phoenix Elite, and the Phoenix Hunter Elite. all rifles available in .177 and .22.
    The first too are synthetic, and the Hunter Elite comes in timber. Umarex makes the rifle in Germany on behalf of Browning

Specs:
    Cost -200 pounds (package with scope, padded bag and lock)
    Barrel Length - 320mm
    Overall Length - 1155mm
    Weight - 3.6kgs
    Power - 11.2ft lbs approx 780fps
    Break Barrel
    Adjustable Shoulder Pad
    Fibre Optic Sights
    Factory Fitted Silencer
    Automatic Safety (switch rear of the cylinder)

The first thing i noticed about the rifle is its weight, it is a fairly heavy rifle at 3.6kgs compared to other air rifles i have handled, slightly barrel heavy as well with the balance point being about 4 inches in front of the trigger guard.
    I find the safety catch a lot more user friendly than the typical trigger safety catch, in easy reach of your thumb when finger on trigger ready to fire.
    The style is stunning (one of the main reasons i bought it!!) solid, resistant to scratching, all weather being synthetic, it has soft rubber inserts where your hands and, and the classy browning logo embossed on both sides of the stock, add the factory silencer and a scope and you have one very sexy looking rifle!

I have fitted mine with the Hawke Sport HD 3-9x40 scope, which i though was a cheapie at first but im very impressed with it, once you change the parallax back from 100yds to about 35yds you get a crystal clear image of both target and reticle at the 9x magnification.

After trialing a range of pellets, I have settled on the Crosman Domed 4.5mm 7.9gr. The rifle has taken to them and only rarely has a flyer. The pellets are all high quality, and 500 will cost just over 5 pounds online. I have tried the 10.3gr Crosman as well but not a fan of the trajectory, probably better in a PCP.

The trigger on the Elite is nice, smooth to pull and a lot lighter than the other break barrels i have used. I have another at the moment and after using that for a while and going back to the Elite I'm guaranteed to fire early for the first few shots haha..

So with my limited space at home I'm shooting at 35yds and factoring in my lack of skill with an air rifle, I am still managing to group consistantly, enough for a kill zone in any case! I have practiced and practiced with different holds trying to see what she likes the most, and the "pool cue" artillery hold with loose shoulder pressure works the best.

Hopefully this gives you guys a better idea on this new rifle, and maybe one of you will buy one!
    Let me know what you think

-Jon

20130419_095533.jpg20130419_095702.jpg20130419_105407.jpg20130419_105416.jpg20130419_105425_1.jpg20130419_105440.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice write up

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi I've just bought one of these @ 149 its cheap but it does need some tlc to make it usable mine was far to violent and the trigger pull although lite is a toutch to long for my like , so a full strip down was in order first thing I noticed was fa lack of lubricant so fully greased up and then on to the trigger I shaved about 1.5 mill of the trigger sear to see if I could get it to release earlier reasembled cocked it witch was eaisier and then just to make sure it was safe gave it a good whack with a rubber mallet just to make sure it wasn't going to fire on its own and it worked tre trigger is now as close to what I want and it now shoots very well with a noticed drop in volume thanks to the lube, befor I couldnt get less than a four inch group @20yrd now it down to1/2inc mainly down to triger I think as now it fires crisper olny other problem I found was it was a pain to load some pellets so hard it would deform the pellet or catch when the barrel was closed so nice quick easy fix is run a counter sink in the barrel and hey presto pellet now push nicely in , all in all it is a good gun but it needs some work to make it useableit is a tad on the heavy side all I have to do now is put some more pellets through it and hopefully it will settle a bit more and get a bit more accurate this gun was brand new but I don't belive in taken things back stip it get to know it

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jon. Thanks for a good review, I have also bought this gun. I am completely new to Air Rifles and had decided on an SMK SYNXS but when I went to my local gun shop, he did not have one in stock. I started looking at the various guns in stock and found the Browning, tried the weight and hold, I was hooked!
    Browning, I thought, has got to be good, (my dad shot 303 Brownings from his Wellington Bomber in the war!), I loved the look especially with the integral silencer, as you said, a "sexy" gun!
    I chose a 3x40 scope + padded bag + 500 pellets, 160 for the lot, BARGAIN!
    I joined my local club and after zeroing the scope at 25metres, I am shooting 3cm groups easily. As you said the trigger is a bit light but I soon got used to it. As I put more pellets through it the gun is improving.
    It now seems that the dealers are unable to get any more Brownings from Umarex, so my mate has decided to go for a Hammerli Blackforce 800 instead of the Browning Pheonix Hunter Elite that he wanted.
    Will update you all on progress.
    Cheers
    Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jon,

Update on the Phoenix Elite. After approx 200 pellets the gun has bedded in nicely and at the Club's 25 metre range it is shooting well.

My mate has got used to his Blackforce 800 .22 but it needs more pellets thru it to settle down. We did an interesting comparison, I have made a target holder/ pellet catcher for home garden use. It has 2 layers of 4mm thick medium hard rubber backed by sheet steel. Pellets from the Browning .177 go thru the rubber to hit the steel and finish up as small flat discs. The pellets from the Blackforce .22 go thru the first layer of rubber and stop! When you dig them out, they are almost ntouched.

Is this difference due to the power of the guns, pellet size or speed ? I don't know, it would be interesting to hear comments or is it blatantly obvious to you experienced shooters?

Best regards, Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good review. Nicely written. There should be more reviews like this.

Nice one.

Andy
    "it's best to keep quiet and let everyone think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and end all doubt"

Post Thanks / Like
    I've not long bought one myself. Its the first rifle that I've owned, although I'm well used to shooting with my father and friends. I got mine second hand with a cheap Hawke, case, 2 tins of ammo and a couple of other little bits for 180 which is fairly decent. I'm really impressed with it, nice weight and balance, its got a chunky stock which is comfortable for long shoots. The only two problems I have with it are the trigger pull is just a bit long, even though I have gotten used to that without taking a screwdriver to it.. And the aforementioned problem of the barrel being a bit tight and occasionally wrecking a pellet or two.
    I prefer it over longer ranges and it'll go through quite a hefty piece of wood, or even thin sheet steel. Not had chance to do any hunting with it yet, but I'm sure it'll perform really well.

Registered 40+ posts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixElite View Post
    I have the Browning Phoenix Elite in .177 caliber, and since I cant find any information on it because it is a new model, I thought I would write a short review of the rifle for anyone who is interested.

I am new to the air rifle scene, but I have been around firearms my whole life and own 3, so hopefully the review wont be to bad

The Browning comes in 3 models, the Phoenix, Phoenix Elite, and the Phoenix Hunter Elite. all rifles available in .177 and .22.
    The first too are synthetic, and the Hunter Elite comes in timber. Umarex makes the rifle in Germany on behalf of Browning

Specs:
    Cost -200 pounds (package with scope, padded bag and lock)
    Barrel Length - 320mm
    Overall Length - 1155mm
    Weight - 3.6kgs
    Power - 11.2ft lbs approx 780fps
    Break Barrel
    Adjustable Shoulder Pad
    Fibre Optic Sights
    Factory Fitted Silencer
    Automatic Safety (switch rear of the cylinder)

The first thing i noticed about the rifle is its weight, it is a fairly heavy rifle at 3.6kgs compared to other air rifles i have handled, slightly barrel heavy as well with the balance point being about 4 inches in front of the trigger guard.
    I find the safety catch a lot more user friendly than the typical trigger safety catch, in easy reach of your thumb when finger on trigger ready to fire.
    The style is stunning (one of the main reasons i bought it!!) solid, resistant to scratching, all weather being synthetic, it has soft rubber inserts where your hands and, and the classy browning logo embossed on both sides of the stock, add the factory silencer and a scope and you have one very sexy looking rifle!

I have fitted mine with the Hawke Sport HD 3-9x40 scope, which i though was a cheapie at first but im very impressed with it, once you change the parallax back from 100yds to about 35yds you get a crystal clear image of both target and reticle at the 9x magnification.

After trialing a range of pellets, I have settled on the Crosman Domed 4.5mm 7.9gr. The rifle has taken to them and only rarely has a flyer. The pellets are all high quality, and 500 will cost just over 5 pounds online. I have tried the 10.3gr Crosman as well but not a fan of the trajectory, probably better in a PCP.

The trigger on the Elite is nice, smooth to pull and a lot lighter than the other break barrels i have used. I have another at the moment and after using that for a while and going back to the Elite I'm guaranteed to fire early for the first few shots haha..

So with my limited space at home I'm shooting at 35yds and factoring in my lack of skill with an air rifle, I am still managing to group consistantly, enough for a kill zone in any case! I have practiced and practiced with different holds trying to see what she likes the most, and the "pool cue" artillery hold with loose shoulder pressure works the best.

Hopefully this gives you guys a better idea on this new rifle, and maybe one of you will buy one!
    Let me know what you think

-Jon

20130419_095533.jpg20130419_095702.jpg20130419_105407.jpg20130419_105416.jpg20130419_105425_1.jpg20130419_105440.jpg
    hello, well done jon, bit to heavy for me and yes browning make some very good gear as i had 2 shotguns by this company, i would think they wanted to try the cheaper air rifle market but the spec is good for the money and would last years if looked after, just a thought if your going to re lube/tune etc as zcole 13 did give welsh willy a call for some info as sure he would know these rifles, woodfield gpc swansea. oh and think of a 1 p/c mount to.

Registered 40+ posts secretagentmole's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice reviews, good to see one of the more respected names in the business coming in at a sensible price with what seems a good quality gun.

Most rifles seem to be light on lubrication these days, not a Umarex only thing, some HWs are drier than a sock in the desert!