Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Pheasant with an air rifle

Worlds Greatest Rug 2012 ovy4213's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Shooting Pheasant with an air rifle

Before anyone attacks this post (you know there are always some), I know that pheasant's are currently out of season.
    When they are in season I always just use a shotgun, but on one of my perms they are everywhere, but I only bring my tx200 with me to take care of the rats and the occasional rabbit, the land owner is not happy with me taking a shot gun there so it's air rifle only, and I don't have a FAC so my rifles are all sub 12ftlb.
    Could I use my tx200 to put the occasional pheasant in the pot, or is it illegal? And would a sub 12ftlb rifle be powerful enough for a clean kill?
    I have recently read a similar question concerning canadian geese, I simply want to know if it is legal to use my tx for the problem, and if it would be strong enough for a clean kill, non of the ethics (my own ethics say if its not going to be a clean kill don't even attempt it).
    A gun is like a condom. I would rather have one and not need it, then need one and not have one.

Twll tin i chi gyd Jackroadkill's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've shot pheasants with an air rifle. You just have to be sure you can hit them in the brain, which is quite a small target, but doable if you're confident. It's legal, but I know some shooters don't do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    more important is they are a season bird. if you shoot them out of season you will be done.
    CZ452 .22lr - varmint - 4-16x50 MTC Mamba SCB - Hogan mod
    CZ452 .17hmr - varmint -
    BSA 8-32x44 SF - SAK mod
    Ruger M77 mk2 .243 - Burris 6x40 30/30
    2013 tally: Bunnys 45 Woodys 16 Crows 11 Rats 61 Magpie 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Quite legal I have done it many times they do taste better when not full of shot too.

Worlds Greatest Rug 2012 ovy4213's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for letting me know!
    Looks like come pheasant season I will be eating more than rabbit and woody's.
    A gun is like a condom. I would rather have one and not need it, then need one and not have one.

Registered 40+ posts
    Post Thanks / Like
    i was always under the impression that as they are game birds its a no no or have i been told wrong?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stimo View Post
    i was always under the impression that as they are game birds its a no no or have i been told wrong?????
    The traditional view is they're a shotgun only quarry but that's just tradition and not law - there's nothing stopping anyone from shooting pheasant with an air rifle assuming the criteria re season, shot placement and - above all - permission to shoot them on the land they're on are met

I love airgunned pheasant
    BASC Member

Post Thanks / Like
    yeh tradition says you should only shoot them when they are flying, its the british way giving them a sporting chance lol. shoot them on the ground when on a pheasant shoot and you get chased off the land haha
    CZ452 .22lr - varmint - 4-16x50 MTC Mamba SCB - Hogan mod
    CZ452 .17hmr - varmint -
    BSA 8-32x44 SF - SAK mod
    Ruger M77 mk2 .243 - Burris 6x40 30/30
    2013 tally: Bunnys 45 Woodys 16 Crows 11 Rats 61 Magpie 4

Post Thanks / Like
    It's legal to shoot them with an airgun if it's done cleanly with no unnecessary suffering. Which an airgun is more than capable of doing. However there is another question here and that's "who owns them"? If the landowner owns them and has given you permission there's no issue. However if a neighbouring farm is the owner that is a different story. It's a bit of a grey area as its hard to prove who actually owns the pheasant. But just because the bird has moved from one farm to another doesn't mean ownership has changed hands
    Silencers ~ 28 (currently unavailable)
    Male/male silencer adapters ~ 5 (currently unavailable)
    SMK XS78 QB78 TH78 XS79 seal sets ~ 5 each

May the Force be with you! Yogi GunKanobee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where I live, they are a pest. We get hoards of the things in our garden. For years I tried chasing them with a stick, chucking stones at them, catapult, then twanging their tail feathers. They pretty much just stand there, bemused. They are too dim to runaway. So I finally gave up and just shoot 'em and eat 'em.