1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum.
    Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    If you don't use Hotmail then ignore this message, click the cross to the right to close this message.
    Dismiss Notice

What did i learn about my HW100 and BSA R10 today

Discussion in 'Airgun Data Center' started by Meteor62, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Meteor62

Meteor62 Well-Known Member

Ok I've been undecided for some time about which is the best gun out of these two. Some of you may have read my comparison review thread I did a few months ago.

Today I took them both out on the range for an in depth try out.

Firstly I tried the HW100 KT with 4.52 jsb exacts, these were blisteringly accurate over the ranges that I would hunt at and beyond. I tried 4.53 but although accurate I found them not blistering accurate. I then tried h&n ftt 4.51 and found these to be very accurate and at my zero range hitting the same mark! So I now have another pellet that I can revert back to should my rfd be out of jsb 4.52 or the quality goes belly up like it did a year or so ago and not have to re zero.

Loading was slick and everything went as it should with no problems and that is how it's always been with the HW.

Then I try the r10 beautiful looking rifle that she is I notice right away the difference between the length to pull ( think that's what it's called you know the pistol grip to trigger length) is less and nicer on the r10. I load up the mag with 4.52 jsb and set about testing the accuracy, it doesn't like them. Ok run a few magazines through just to lead up the barrel before discounting the pellet and it gets no better. Next I try jsb 4.53 and groups get a little tighter but am now experiencing a couple of magazine jams that result in me and the r10 having a full blown fight before the magazine becomes free and I end up with a chewed pellet after not getting the accuracy I expect I then move on to h&n ftt 4.51 and wow the difference is noticeable right away.

The groups are tight and good enough for my hunting but wait! Another pellet jam! Another fight ensues. This happens three more times I think it's a gravitational thing and if I cock the rifle pointing down it doesn't seem to happen.

Disregarding the pellet jams as I know these can be remedied by buying a newer plastic mag it was obvious to me that the HW although not as good looking it's a lot less pellet fussy, trouble free and slicker in every way really. I won't get into shot counts and other things as they have all been covered before.

The BSA with h&n pellets is a very accurate gun and one I will feel confident hunting with. In fact I've had about three very successful hunting trips with it.

The trigger in my opinion is also better on my HW.

I will give the BSA a fair go with jsb 4.51 pellets when I get some as it likes h&n 4.51 then if I think it's worth keeping I will invest in a plastic magazine. If not then the BSA will be for sale because at the moment for me the HW is the better gun.

Note this is just a comparison of my guns two different examples may give different results.

Below is a picture of my mangled jammed pellets.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  2. NickHammond121

NickHammond121 Well-Known Member

With the R10, try loading the pellets in reverse. Load skirt first from the front of the mag, so that the pellets skirt is resting against the o-ring. This should stop them falling backwards and jamming.

3. Meteor62

You are quite right nick this does work

4. SteveO_R10

SteveO_R10 Banned

Did you try a new type magazine?

If you want to before you give it up let me know and you can try mine, its a 100% improvement over the old alloy type one.

5. Meteor62

Thanks Steve as I said in my post I know the plastic mag is the way to go but I don't intend throwing money at something I may not keep.

6. meerkat1

meerkat1 Well-Known Member

i still got jams with the new type mag also with JSB`s the HW100`s a great rifle and my grab gun [​IMG] so much so i got 2 :)

7. themadspread

themadspread Donator

that's the reason I got rid of my ultra and scorpion(still carried on after wasting£88 on the new mags)sat out for 2 hours waiting for a rabbit then dryfire it just done my head in.never have any of those type of problems with a 100(or a air arms either)sop I,ll stay awayt from bsa from now on.

8. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

FWIW, IME the HW is better in pretty much every "technical" aspect (build quality, finish, trigger, mag, safety, refinement of operation) while the R10 appeals more to the senses (ergonomics, aesthetics, balance).

It's a shame about the cycling problems with the R10, but sadly absolutely par or the course IME - I've found the newer plastic mags to be far better (although apparently not everyone shares my good fortune).

Thankfully they've definitely become less crap over time (the earlier latched ones were a better design IMO, but shockingly unreliable).

Just out of interest, what sort of group sizes were you getting with them both, and at what range? Did I mention that I once had an HW100 with accuracy problems.....? :D

9. SteveO_R10

SteveO_R10 Banned

Mike did you manage to sort out the accuracy problem?

I've used OP's HW100, it prints like a laser!

10. Meteor62

Lol yes I think you may have mentioned it once... Or maybe twice? Didn't get chance to measure the groups but it was a lovely still day for once if not a little cold. But jsb 4.52 pellets were well within a penny out to 43 yards ( I don't push any further as targets are not my thing and only shoot as far as I will hunt).

The BSA in all fairness wasn't that far behind with the h&n but the HW was just as good as the beezer with h&n's. At this moment in time I'm happy having them both but if I was on my bum and needed a quick raise right now then I wouldn't hesitate to sell the BSA. I may still do if they don't do pin point accurate with 4.51 jsbs.

In a nutshell I came away chuffed as muck with the HW but left with a question mark hovering above my head with the BSA.

11. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

May I ask what scopes they are?

12. Meteor62

Now I look at a penny I think I'm selling the gun a bit short, the pellets were one holing (although it doesn't punch holes through the steel targets). So if I was aiming at a pellet it would have been hitting it.

13. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Nope. I re-crowned the barrel a couple of times, replaced the barrel, tried a load of pellets through both and eventually sold the b*stard thing (with a clear conscience ;)). After which I did a little happy dance :p

Sounds like you don't have a lot to complain about accuracy-wise.. I couldn't tolerate an unreliable gun though - especially for hunting..

14. Meteor62

It's reliable and been my sweet heart for the last year but feeling guilty now for having a fling with the r10

15. meerkat1

meerkat1 Well-Known Member

hi Stag the scopes are MTC mamba`s 3-12x44

16. Tippercow

Tippercow Well-Known Member

I have had my r10 for 4 weeks now, here's what i have learned.

AA fields. My Walther Century loves them but the r10 doesn't. Quite a few mag jams (plastic mags) and consistant accuracy is a problem.

RWS Superdomes. Same issues with mag jams and more inconsistant accuracy.

Bisley Magnums. No mag jams with the whole tin but again, lacking accuracy.

RWS Exact Heavy. No mag jams. At the range today in windy conditions, they grouped superbly at 35 yards (zeroing) and at 45 yards with 1 mill dot allowance, I was hitting a 5p sized spinner 7 to 8 times out of 10. I will be using a lot of these from now on :)

17. Meteor62

Do you mean jsb heavy or do rws do a heavy too?

18. Tippercow

Tippercow Well-Known Member

Doh! :redface: Correct Meteor, JSB Exact Heavy. Flawless so far.

19. jasonanderson

jasonanderson Well-Known Member

Another vote for the jsb heavy, again the only pellet that doesnt jam the mag up and also by far most accurate. Also spot on out my air ranger

20. lone wolf

lone wolf Lets sling some lead!

Interesting read, im currently using bisley magmums 4.52 in my R10-SE out to 30yrds there spot on but after that they open up a fair bit so my max hunting range in 35yrds, ive got some aa diabolo 4.52 to try out in hope that they print tight groups up to 40yrds.

My other pellet options are crosman premiers, FTT, and jsb heavies.

Tried bis mags 4.50,51
    Jsb exact 4.50,52,53

I would have thought the jsb exact would have done better but ive gone back to bis magnum 4.52

Ive put nearly 1000 pellets through my R10-SE with no mag issues at all, fingers crossed it will stay that way.

I want a hw100kt to complement my bsa and to do a comparison like you have and then which ever i felt was the better rifle for me i was going to sell the other to get two of the same but in .177 + .22

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk