1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum.
    Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    If you don't use Hotmail then ignore this message, click the cross to the right to close this message.
    Dismiss Notice

Threatened whilst hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Oat, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Oat

Oat Love thy springer

What actions would you now take?
    On my farm permission last night, and was threatened by a guy who lives bordering the fields I shoot on. The threat was that if he ever sees me again he will knock me out (several expletives thrown in too). Of note is that I am very placid character, and being the person holding the firearm I am very aware how important being placid is, for all these reason I made no counter comment to his threat. I walked off the field, and had not taken any shots on it.

I was working the far margin of the arable field with my air rifle, as I have done for the past 2 years. I was on the opposite side to the field from his house, I never walk or hunt on or near boundary of his property and the farm.

I assume he saw my red torch which I use to quickly scan for rabbits at a distance before then stalking in with NV. I am also very conscious on where the red light points, never shining it at or near any building (the red torch being handheld).
    The guy in question is known to the farmer, he used to shoot for the farmer until they fell out when he threatened to shoot the farmers dogs.

I told the farmer of the approach I had received. The farmer also had a message of ‘extreme disapproval’ (add some attitude in to that) from the other chap.
    The farmer was fully supportive to me, he expressed how much he values me shooting on his land and said “I hope this won’t stop you shooting for me?”; and I don’t want to stop.

I now have concern that I have been threatened by a guy who I know has a short fuse and a firearms licence.

I’m undecided on how to move forward. What actions would you now take? (without making assumptions and based on the info i have given)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  2. milek

milek Honorary Member

Sounds like a place to hold next years AGF meet and we'll all have some fun :)

Oat, keep calm and carry on bud. Just a loudmouth.

3. Crazycooker69

Crazycooker69 Well-Known Member

I would contact my flo for advice as to the way forward better to hear it from you before he phones up and before long your the mass murderer of all all his beloved pets and all his glass in his greenhouse

4. dodgyeye

dodgyeye Well-Known Member

Short fuse + physical threats + firearms licence = imo only one option, as I would be very concerned about the current stability of this individual. Log it asap as who knows what is going on in this person life that may endanger others.

5. Peter Norris

Peter Norris Well-Known Member

As above, send your FEO an e mail and keep it for your records.
    Good luck.
    Peter

6. Ratdog

Ratdog Banned

Been there too.
    I phoned the police and an officer went and had a word with them.
    Two occasions it happened to me.

You did well bud.

7. Treecreeper

Treecreeper Desecrator

I'm not one for involving the police but I don't really see what else you can do in this situation, unless you're prepared to get physical with him yourself. Either way, try not to worry too much, he's probably all mouth & no trousers, otherwise, if he's that wound up about it, he'd have tried to hit you last night. Sounds like a bully.

8. Meteor62

Meteor62 Well-Known Member

Report it mate and if he threatens you again mention that he risks losing his fac and that should give him food for thought. But don't be bullied off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. dodgyeye

Personally, I wouldn't mention sanctions to him in this situation. In my experience mentioning sanctions that are others to enforce would only lead to raising the temperature in a confrontational situation and give future focus for his anger, if that sanction is enforced. Having trained in various martial arts, the first point of reference is always to never use it and to endeavour to defuse the immediate confrontation and not to escalate it, which this may do.

10. Meteor62

Meteor62 Well-Known Member

I will have to disagree with you there but further to my last post as the op is the one holding the firearm this leaves you open to all sorts of accusations in such a scenario so I would take some sort of covert recording device in case of another confrontation to not only evidence further threats but to thwart any possible counter claims that this guy may conjure up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. GMballistic

GMballistic Well-Known Member

Really annoyed me reading that Oat. :mad:

^^This is what you should do.
    I'm not one for "grassing" but honestly what else can you do?!

Just email your Firearms Licencing Officer as advertised and maybe also inform the local Police so it's all on record.

12. dodgyeye

Disagreement/debate always welcome :up: and recording any developments is great advice :up:.

However, my major consideration is that the threatening aggressor has access to firearms and in that situation imo discretion is the better part of valour.

13. That hurts

That hurts Well-Known Member

Report him directly to the police with exact timings and get it backed up by the farmer if he is willing. At least then it has been logged as early as possible.

14. Oat

Oat Love thy springer

Thank you all for feedback. I was concerned this post was going to turn in to a bun fight of differing opinion and thousands of questions. Thanks for keeping the integrity of my question :up:

I will call TVP firearms dept' this afternoon to tell them what happened and ask what measures they would recommend. Whilst i will give them my details i will initially not give them details of the other chap until i have run the scenario before the land owner for the following reasons:

The farmer and his family are good friends and i do not wish any hardship on them.
    The chap who threatened me passes my house every day. He cannot leave his house without passing mine. Whilst he doesn't know it was me he spoke to last night, he wouldn't need to ask too many people to figure it out.

15. That hurts

That hurts Well-Known Member

A very mature, balanced and logical approach and I hope it all gets sorted out!

16. Readie

Readie Unfortunately a small member

If you are a BASC member maybe ask them for advice, I'll wager they have had this before

17. Shoto1

Shoto1 Less is more

If you're a member of BASC, it might be worth calling them

18. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 It's that bad, I've gone fishing.

Oat. Like you I am passive but lets be fair here, if someone did the same to you in the street you may have either use your training or call the police. This guy threatened you with aggressive behaviour irrespective of firearms.... You need to report it, as you say he is also a firearms holder he has no right to this privilege with such an aggressive manner...

Like most, Im not a grass but for safety sake this guy sounds like a complete twit and a bully. Now every time your on that Permission your going to be looking over your shoulder when you are totally in your right to be there, if he of course follows you he is the one breaking the law by trespassing.

19. Shoto1

Shoto1 Less is more

Great minds - we both posted the same at 13.58 ;)

20. Readie

Readie Unfortunately a small member

I'm outside your house peeping through window:D