1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum.
    Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    If you don't use Hotmail then ignore this message, click the cross to the right to close this message.
    Dismiss Notice

Relum Tornado makeover

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by oakley6691, Oct 20, 2010.

1. oakley6691

oakley6691 Member

Bought an Early 70's tornado that was just about working(lasted about 20 shots before it gave up), total strip down, removed all paint from wood, smoothed over a few dinks, stained with walnut and then oiled rather than varnished. Polished the piston and renewed the springs, piston seal, piston spacer and rivet, took all the worn bluing off and rust, renewed the blueing and oiled.

This was my first attempt at refurbishing an old gun.

before (the one in the foreground)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oakley6691

oakley6691 Member

Also apart from being a bit noisey to load and a bit twanky when fired it really does shoot very powerful and accurate, really chuffed as this owes me very little and i enjoyed doing it.

.....until the next one :thumb:

3. simopesh

simopesh Well-Known Member

Excellent job mate. They are quite underrated air rifles that are perfectly engineered and build to last. Nothing better than e second smaller spring working as guide to the main one.
    I install new Titan 7 main spring and piston ring. (Modified Webley ring PW086)
    The power is 11.7 Ft Lb with almost any 22 pellet.
    Next on the list are a Parker Hale UHF adaptor and Weihrauch sound moderator.

4. bigbadbear

bigbadbear Donator

here's one i restored a while back, it was in a right state but now it's a great bunny basher.

5. TheDodge

TheDodge Well-Known Member

I had one of these back in the 70's, cracking little gun and very accurate.

6. philbot007

philbot007 Well-Known Member

I had one in the 70's as well, never thought they'd still be going now.

A real blast from the past!
    :up:

7. GIRLYPANTS

GIRLYPANTS Banned

I love the style of the old guns

looks great:up:

8. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Good job :thumb: ..................................... :Coffee:

9. oakley6691

oakley6691 Member

Cheers for the nice coments:up:

I'm on the look out for other project, maybe and earlier rifle or pistol

10. oakley6691

oakley6691 Member

Same here, i like all my guns but the older ones seem to have great character to look at and seem to have a great feel to them when firing.

11. How do guys.....

After trawling through various forums a while back looking for a Webley Tracker to refurbish I came across an oldish post by a member called Robbo offering a Relum Tornado.
    Now this being my very first gun when I was 8-9 I thought I would reminise on my youth and set about contacting him to see if he still had it.......He did!!
    He explained it had been sitting in an allotment for an unknown amount of time and the metalwork had seen a lot better days but the stock seemed in good condition. I arranged to take it off his hands for the grand price of FREE......yes....FREE...all I needed pay was the postage!
    I let him know it arrived, Bry even paid the postage and told me not to bother reimbursing him as long as I made good of the rifle and sent him photos of it, so a BIG thanks to Bry aka Robbo for his generosity and being a top notch forum member!

So....to the refurb.....

Here's life as it started..... ROUGH!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and so the strip down ensued....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

watery rust isnt always a very good sign....

[​IMG]

but the leather seal was in surprisingly very good condition...

[​IMG]

So.....with the other parts steeping in rust remover I set about doing the easy job first....the stock.....

lightly rubbed down with a couple of soft decorators blocks and then reoiled this was definately the easiest job up to now....and it's turned out great!!

Lightly sanded...

[​IMG]

reoiled....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Update......

A 2 day fully working refurb......

Managed to get it stripped, de-rusted and sprayed yesterday and after gaining more permission today I returned home and cracked on with the refurb/rebuild.

Stripped to bare metal & sealed with anti rust.....

[​IMG]

primed....

[​IMG]

painted....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided to remove the iron sights and it is now adorned with a Hawke 3-9x40MAP scope which I had lying about

So we have.......

THE FINISHED RIFLE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once again a BIGthanks to Bry aka Robbo
    Darryl

12. GIRLYPANTS

GIRLYPANTS Banned

you have done a great job at restoring, looks real nice now well done:up:

13. gixxer

gixxer Well-Known Member

super tornado.

nice job on the super tornado.well nice when fettled with.well done:up:

14. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Well-Known Member

Lovely job, my missus would've gone mad if I got all that rust on her worktop:eek:

15. Neilsuper10

Neilsuper10 Well-Known Member

doing a tornado I bad bought for parts, only thing is I now need a stock and stock screws to restore this one. also need a set of iron sights front and back. anyone have any parts they want shot of?

16. Try TR Robb or Chambers mate

Darryl

17. KenKeeping

KenKeeping Well-Known Member

For some reason or other, I seem to imagine my old Tornado a lot bigger, but I was only 12-13yrs old then, lol.
    I remember unknowingly getting a pellet stuck in the barrel, and shooting another straight after.
    Many attempts of clearing them out, with no luck, I took it apart, discarded the barrel and took the stock to school with the intent of making a crossbow out of it in woodwork!
    It never did get done, and was still there when I reached leaving age and started work, lol.
    Hated the loading mech, but loved the gun.

Some good refurbs guys!

18. the logun-ator

the logun-ator Well-Known Member

lol...wey Darryl,theres one behind me i the infamous ''shed of plenty!''...ill get round to it one of these years...

19. smallholder1

smallholder1 Well-Known Member

great job you have all done this was the gun i killed my first woodie with bought from a catalogue book in the 70's just bought another about a year ago