1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum.
    Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    If you don't use Hotmail then ignore this message, click the cross to the right to close this message.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either, but are forced to do so to ensure forum rules are followed.

IMPORTANT- In future, please put all your posts about any offending topic into the http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php?forums/adults-only.46/. To do this, you will need to contact admin or a moderator to ask for permission. By doing this, people will not have to read it unless they opt to join in too.

Staff will not move posts for you if you put it in the wrong section – it will simply be deleted. You will then have to type it all out again and put it in the right place, so heed this warning.

Although all normal forum rules will still apply; moderation will be a little more relaxed in this area. We will however, not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. Its purpose is to remove these topics from the main forum, not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

Enter at your own risk, expect to be upset by other people's strong views and don’t come crying to us when something upsets you.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Night Vision for Air Rifle under a Grand

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics' started by kevinp, Dec 31, 2016.

1. kevinp

kevinp Active Member

Looking to but Night Vision Scope but not sure what to get, never used one before.
    Was thinking about Yukon, or maybe something second hand,
    What's the best? anyone got out for sale??
    Thanks

2. themadspread

themadspread Donator

make a homebrew just as good and miles cheaper

3. monsta41

monsta41 One armed shooter Donator

have you thought about a home brew add on? they can be built for less than 150 quid, terry1001 has a thread on here what parts you need and how to build it..
    it takes less than 2 hours to build once you have the parts

4. kevinp

kevinp Active Member

Don't really want to be looking through screen, that's why I was thinking about the Yukon.

5. Samobaggins

Samobaggins Well-Known Member

You want a more conventional view rather than a large added screen?!

A Yukon is a good scope at its price point. It can be made better too for £100-£150 depending on what you are looking to do.

6. kevinp

kevinp Active Member

Mainly for rats and rabbits, what way can it be made better??

7. Samobaggins

Rats and rabbit the lower mag will work best. For longer ranges you can add a doubler (option one) or you can extreme it and have different lenses to suit the shooting you doing. Both roots can invalidate warranties. YouTube photon extreme for footage and I'll post pics later of mine.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

I believe the smaller Photon is preferred for rats, have the 6.5 myself, good for the money, use additional ir

9. Samobaggins

+1 for the additional ir. T38 or T20

10. kevinp

kevinp Active Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  11. donnk

donnk Well-Known Member

12. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

If you want out and out night vision ability with no frills you want the photon. ( not for you if you want zoom and lots to play with )

If you wish to use the rifle in the day and record and are happy to lose a little range and clarity ( but still very shootable ) at night go for the x sight.
    Also some issues with weight and head position but very different scopes really. The photon is an out and out night scope very limited in the day.

The xsight is a true day and night scope. Don't be fooled by the range finding claims the system is of no use in the uk and you will still want a proper night vision range finder. The xsight is heavy, bolt a weapon mounted range finder on and its VERY heavy. You really need to go for a hand held range finder with the xsight assuming your quarry type / method allows that.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  13. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

One for sale on the forum

14. daveboy

daveboy Well-Known Member

Where are you ? If you want to try a photon xt,
    I have one fitted to a Air arms s400 you can have a look through (not for sale)
    I'm just outside Pontefract.

15. kevinp

kevinp Active Member

Thanks Daveboy, for offer, I had a look at a mates and although it was very good on night mode the day time view was not really good so after looking at loads of reviews ect, I have gone and bought the x sight, mainly because it is a both good for day and night,

Left my gun at the gun shop as they are going to fit and set everything up for me tomorrow. So I will post the outcome on here, Just hope ive made the right decision.
    My rifle is FX Royale 400.

16. mmamonster

mmamonster Well-Known Member

I use yukon photon on my rimmie and air gun, if you go for one of them you need a extra ir torch as the standard one is crap.
    atb

17. Samobaggins

This is my extreme with a 70mm computer lens. It's F1.4 and I can put extra filters on for day use if it's to bright. It make a good bit of kit great. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. donnk

donnk Well-Known Member

maybe silly question, why would you want to use a NV scope in the day ? Doesn't take long to zero after changing.

19. Samobaggins

I can go out early evening when the sun is low in the sky with a filter then take it off as the sun dips away. No need to move or zero as I'm set. It works really well in low light with no IR.
    If I'm day shooting I have a second rifle for just that.

20. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

It all depends on your personal shooting preferences.

I don't and have dedicated evening / night and day time guns but some people may walk a long distance from the car on their permission.

If they go out in the afternoon and wish so shoot on into the darkness without returning to the car to change scopes and re zero, a day and night type scope or an add on may be the best compromise for them.
    Despite having dedicated NV scopes I still have a couple of diy add ons incase I need to convert a day gun quickly. Worth thinking about.

Our shooting equipment tends to reflect where we shoot our preferences, our transport and so on with everything being some sort of compromise.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017