1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum.
    Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    If you don't use Hotmail then ignore this message, click the cross to the right to close this message.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either, but are forced to do so to ensure forum rules are followed.

IMPORTANT- In future, please put all your posts about any offending topic into the http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php?forums/adults-only.46/. To do this, you will need to contact admin or a moderator to ask for permission. By doing this, people will not have to read it unless they opt to join in too.

Staff will not move posts for you if you put it in the wrong section – it will simply be deleted. You will then have to type it all out again and put it in the right place, so heed this warning.

Although all normal forum rules will still apply; moderation will be a little more relaxed in this area. We will however, not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. Its purpose is to remove these topics from the main forum, not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

Enter at your own risk, expect to be upset by other people's strong views and don’t come crying to us when something upsets you.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Any Hawk expert's?

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by kermitboy1, Mar 21, 2017.

1. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

Can someone tell me if this is indeed a Goshawk. It was in the hedge as i was on the way to one of my permissions. Much smaller than a Buzzard, and the wrong colour. Bigger than a Kestrel. Really hope my identification is correct as i have never seen one as yet.
    KB1. View attachment 155708

2. dave bennett

dave bennett Well-Known Member

gos to me bud

3. milek

milek Honorary Member

How much bigger than the Kestrel? twice the size or half as big again.

4. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

Its a crap picture. I know i could have done better had my dog not spooked it. Lovely looking bird. If indeed it is, then i have had a blinding week as i also caught sight of five Waxwing in a hedge whilst on route to the same permission. Been waiting so many years to spy some of them. KB1

5. landymick

landymick Well-Known Member

Not clear enough, could be a female Sparrowhawk.

6. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

I would say half as big again. I have taken Peregrines hit by aircraft off the airfield, and i would say this bird was the same length but much more slight in size.

KB1

7. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

No way, far to long in size. Have seen many of those.

KB1

8. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

I must have been within six feet of this bird as i took the picture, just to give you and idea. It just froze. KB1

9. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

Its the black tip on the bill and the extreme grey plumage that has really got me hoping it is what i think it is. KB1

10. shauny

shauny Well-Known Member

looks like a male gos. female much darker,and scaling off the ivy leaves,too big for a male sparrowhawk. they are tiny.its prob escaped.
    only 2 birds of prey that will revert back to wild,even if hand reared ,are the gos and sparrow hawks.they usually like dense evergreen areas to
    live and hunt,so seeing one in a farmland situ is a bit unusual,unless its escaped .

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  11. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

Thats great, the very fact that i have never seen a hawk like this makes me really think it could be. The habitat was spot on. KB1

12. shauny

shauny Well-Known Member

op mentioned dark grey plumage,so male.females are a much darker brown.

13. milek

milek Honorary Member

Female Gos is the size of a buzzard so that's ruled out. Male Gos still twice the size of a kestrel but that underside barring does say gos to me. The orange eye of the gos Vs the yellow of the Spar is a good indicator but that's not obvious from the pic. In flight there's no comparison. Very lucky to get within that distance if it is a gos.

14. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

I couldn't believe my luck, just gutted the dog spooked it. like you say if the eye was in shot it would help. And if i had got sight of the feet to. Still, me thinks i am going to count it as one. What a great spot. KB1

15. hairyarms

hairyarms Well-Known Member

At the farm I shoot at I often see a Buzzard and it is usually being mobbed or harassed by the crows and magpies but I have seen a hawk fly across the field and the magpies and crows are scared stiff of it and just fly off it is quite a greyish colour and bigger than a Sparrowhawk I always wondered if this was a Goshawk?

16. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

It looked like your picture on your forum membership page. Lol. Love it.

KB1

17. hairyarms

hairyarms Well-Known Member

Yes your right mate I never noticed that Lol! Nice picture btw:up:

18. Alex.B

Alex.B Beeroligist

Did it have any rings or jesses ? Might be worth a call to I.B.R

19. shauny

shauny Well-Known Member

never get it back.be as wild as hell after a day or so.

20. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

He does have a point mind, that could have been the reason why it sat so still and i was able to get within such close proximity. Never thought of that.

KB1